IGNORED

Heaton

Ciderstreet

World class save from the flick in the first half, although he fustrates me so much by slowing down any chance of a breakaway with his slow distribution. Also takes about 30 seconds every kick.. why?! Good shot stopper but doesnt command box well enough and has poor distribution. Overall on par with Gerkin imo.

World class save from the flick in the first half, although he fustrates me so much by slowing down any chance of a breakaway with his slow distribution. Also takes about 30 seconds every kick.. why?! Good shot stopper but doesnt command box well enough and has poor distribution. Overall on par with Gerkin imo.

I have to disagree on the distribution part. He is fantastic with trying to get the ball away as soon as possible. You can see how much it frustrates him when players aren't facing him ready to run with the ball straight away.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="olliebcfc" data-cid="1682617" data-time="1355683735"><p>

<br />

I have to disagree on the distribution part. He is fantastic with trying to get the ball away as soon as possible. You can see how much it frustrates him when players aren't facing him ready to run with the ball straight away. </p></blockquote>

Maybe it is a commbinaton of both keeper and defenders. Although sometimes Heaton will only play a short ball if our defenders have the freedom of the pitch, that maybe down to Heatons lack of faith in our defenders ball control (Can't blame him) or just a lack of urgency from Heaton.

Agree Heaton's weakness is commanding his box, but there are some selective memories on here. I don't remember Gerkin ever being particularly dominant in the air either - they're both pretty equal in that regard. However, for me Heaton is a better shot stopper and also has better distribution so he should be no. 1.

In terms of why we signed him, what people fail to realise is it doesn't really matter whether he's better than Gerken or not. What matters is he's better than our third choice keeper, which he inevitably is. Whether he should be in the starting line up is a contentious issue, personally, I think he is. However, why we signed him? He's better than Lewis Carey, who would you rather on the bench: Gerken/Heaton or Carey? No question in my book. He's a good signing to have made, even if just so he is second choice.

If I was in goal and conceeded the second in that manner, I'd be dissapointed with myself.

That said, Heaton is still a very very good goalie.

One thing I just need to add though is this, Heaton ALWAYS rolls the ball on the deck so he can glide it out to either Baldock or Albert. Now, whilst I don't advocate hoofball, there was space to be exploited behind the Derby back line. If Heaton could only kick the ball accurately from his hands we could've seen Baldock latch onto the long ball over the top.

Also, Derby's goalkeeper twice in the game launched two long punts quickly from his hands that our defence could not deal with. The first was headed straight to their midfield and the second our centre half (can't recall which) fell over from being unable to track the flight of the ball. In both instances, Derby got the ball and set up an attack on our box.

I think it could be effective if Heaton stopped using the predictable find a man distribution method and did take perhaps a little bit more risky/ slightly optimistic approach with the ball in his hands.

Archived