IGNORED

Chris Garland

red ponty

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Aizoon" data-cid="1683110" data-time="1355768339"><p><br />

Seem to remember the East End being rammed for the Garland testimonial c.1993. I don't remember the full Man U side. Only a few first team regulars wasn't it? A great city comeback from 3 down to draw, even if Man U seemed to ease off.<br /><br />

<br /><br />

Started with most of them bar Cantona (in France?). Brought on youngsters later on. See </a></p></blockquote><br />

<br />

<br />

I remember being quite annoyed at this game, as on the way to the ground I managed to smash into the back of another car on Cattle Market road, and when Man Utd scored their goals, a lot of Ashton Gate including all four stands were cheering the goals.<br />

<br />

I've always been City through and through and have never had a 2nd "premier" team, so this really knarked me when it happened - of course I wasn't in the best of moods prior to the game anyway !!

Interesting really that there is a thread about a proper bloke and a proper city player amongst all of the threads about overpaid shite players who look like they will be taking us down. Oh for the time when players played for city cause they wanted to play football. Bit different from today when massive wages don't even seem to be much of a motivator.

Interesting really that there is a thread about a proper bloke and a proper city player amongst all of the threads about overpaid shite players who look like they will be taking us down. Oh for the time when players played for city cause they wanted to play football. Bit different from today when massive wages don't even seem to be much of a motivator.

Not BCFC related I was reading about Ray Kennedy the wonderful ex Arsenal and Liverpool striker/midfielder and fellow parkinsons sufferer, that guy was a thoroughbred footballer of sheer class and vision. He won every honour in the game and had to sell everything to help make ends meet all his championship, FA cup, league cup, euro medals all his shirts, every last piece of memorabilia and when you see some of these scummy **** wit millionaires, some averaging barely 20 games per season and our bone idle losers, it makes you sick.

---

There's one, repeat ONE, player in our current squad who cares*** about City, and he gets slagged down by the children on this group for being over 21.

*** there's a clue in the name, kiddies.

Chris was our star young striker when I started watching City and played alongside John Galley. He went to Chelsea for over £100,000 which was a lot of money in those days. He came back in 1977 to score some vital goals which saved us from relegation from the old First Division as featured in this video made around 1987:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZ2FytJkA0

VERY good book if it's the one I'm thinking of - "A Life of Two Halves" (or similar) - had it for Christmas last year and read it pretty much in the one sitting. Very very much a local hero.

After leaving City he actually came back to play for us, presumably on non-contract terms, in about '82 or '83. As did Tom Ritchie.

For any young 'uns reading this - or just anyone who hasn't read the book - buy it. It's a great read.

Chris Garland = legend :city:

I might be wrong, but I am sure I was told at the time that he returned to play on an expenses only basis, if true that woukd surely make him even more of a legend.

01 Peter Schmeichel, 02 Mike Phelan, 03 Clayton Blackmore, 04 Steve Bruce, 05 Brian Carey, 06 Colin McKee, 07 Bryan Robson, 08 Paul Ince, 09 Dion Dublin, 10 Mark Hughes, 11 Lee Sharpe, 12 Brian McClair (Colin McKee).

Wouldn't mind that central midfield about now!

haven't put my finger on the programme yet.

Was that the actual team on the day, or the advertised team in the programme?

I seem to remember at the time being disappointed that Giggs wasn't playing. He was, maybe, 19 then?

The word "Legend" is used on here and in football in general but in Chris Garland case it is most apt. Always had time for the fans and always gave 100% for the club. The entire Ashton Gate 8 deserve the title Legends for their sacrifice but Chris Geoff Merrick and Jimmy Mann earned that honour before the 1982 fiasco.

The word "Legend" is used on here and in football in general but in Chris Garland case it is most apt. Always had time for the fans and always gave 100% for the club. The entire Ashton Gate 8 deserve the title Legends for their sacrifice but Chris Geoff Merrick and Jimmy Mann earned that honour before the 1982 fiasco.

Dont forget Tainton who made over 500 appearances , 1 of only 5 players to do that for the club.

Or Sweeney who was pretty close to that number.

@bcfcarchive87

Cracking stuff there. In particular, look how Tom Ritchie tackled back to create Cheesley's goal at Highbury. Most of today's City players would look for someone to blame, then trudge back to the halfway line.

Which reminds me of Garland's early days at Chelsea. I lived in Reading, so I sometimes dapped down to Stamford Bridge to see him play. On one occasion, an attack broke down, he tackled back, won the ball, and looked around to see not one other blue shirt in the opposition half.

That wasn't how Alan Dicks' team played, though. All through that City team you never had less than 100% commitment, along with total empathy with the supporters. How different from today's mob!

VERY good book if it's the one I'm thinking of - "A Life of Two Halves" (or similar) - had it for Christmas last year and read it pretty much in the one sitting. Very very much a local hero.

After leaving City he actually came back to play for us, presumably on non-contract terms, in about '82 or '83. As did Tom Ritchie.

For any young 'uns reading this - or just anyone who hasn't read the book - buy it. It's a great read.

Chris Garland = legend :city:

I second that. I'm reading A Life Of Two Halves now. Just got up to the point where he tears up his City contract. Not an easy decision as he was on £800 a week. "A very good wage," in his words.

Oh how times change...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Red-Robbo" data-cid="1683437" data-time="1355832626"><p>

<br />

<br />

I second that. I'm reading A Life Of Two Halves now. Just got up to the point where he tears up his City contract. Not an easy decision as he was on £800 a week. "A very good wage," in his words.<br />

<br />

Oh how times change...</p></blockquote>

Just ordered it from Amazon.

And did Chris play alongside John Atyeo?

I've a feeling he did, against the Gas in the Gloucester Cup, but it was a VERY long time ago :(

Ayteo was Garland's hero, whom he watched from the balcony of 'Nelson Mandela House'. He later went on to be mentored by him. The book details this, my comments of from memory of reading my signed copy. I shall read it again over Christmas I think, it's only short and only the third book i have ever read during my 50+ years!

Archived