IGNORED

Chris Garland

red ponty

This may help - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Garland

Last month, a mate of mine asked if I'd ever heard of a footballer called Chris Garland. He's a friend of the family, but my mate, a keen Leeds fan and half-decent amateur footballer, had no idea the Chris had been a professional footballer, let alone an England Under-23.

That's how modest the man is. When he was with Chelsea, I remember him turning up at the Gate to watch City, standing at the Park End, not in the Directors' Box. For his testimonial, Fergie brought the full Man U side, apparently because Chris always turned out for charity games himself.

Class player, class bloke.

He did a signing in the club shop when the book was first released and seemed a little worse for wear. No new information since. Sure you can get it to him somehow - Maybe David Lloyd will know how?

He's had Parkinson's for years hasn't he?

was he there as a fan cus he wasn't playing for us at the time.

fair do's to him if as a fan

---

Do you know, that's never occurred to me! Of course he was with Chelsea! Anyone want to shed some light?

I must confess to having been VERY p1ssed at the time.

This may help - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Garland

Last month, a mate of mine asked if I'd ever heard of a footballer called Chris Garland. He's a friend of the family, but my mate, a keen Leeds fan and half-decent amateur footballer, had no idea the Chris had been a professional footballer, let alone an England Under-23.

That's how modest the man is. When he was with Chelsea, I remember him turning up at the Gate to watch City, standing at the Park End, not in the Directors' Box. For his testimonial, Fergie brought the full Man U side, apparently because Chris always turned out for charity games himself.

Class player, class bloke.

Seem to remember the East End being rammed for the Garland testimonial c.1993. I don't remember the full Man U side. Only a few first team regulars wasn't it? A great city comeback from 3 down to draw, even if Man U seemed to ease off.

Seem to remember the East End being rammed for the Garland testimonial c.1993. I don't remember the full Man U side. Only a few first team regulars wasn't it? A great city comeback from 3 down to draw, even if Man U seemed to ease off.

Started with most of them bar Cantona (in France?). Brought on youngsters later on. See http://youtu.be/TQo7CGzXMoc

This is worth a look 1972 Big Match goal of the season including a great goal for Chris against Spurs, there are some fabulous goals amongst them, look out for Alan Gilzeans little flick leading up to Alan Mullery's goal.

I was at Highbury for the Charlie George goal against Derby and onto see Rod Stewart and the Faces at Finsbury rainbow.

1971 Chris G was selected to play for a FA team touring Australia. The Coach for that squad was Chelsea's. He reported back to his club and they prepared a bid. City's 2nd game of the 71-72 season was a League Cup tie at Plymouth, but Chris didn't play due to an injury. When a week later he signed for Chelsea he was therefore not cup tied and went on to play for Chelsea in the final.

A few years back that radio station TalkSport broadcast a piece about him. One of their "studio experts" announced Garland was always a Chelsea player but towards the end of his career he moved to Bristol City.

Garland went from City to Chelsea for £100,000. He then moved on to Leicester and City bought him back for £110,000.

I've gone through some old programmes which state "Garland made his debut for Bristol City in December 1966" He wasn't in the team for Atyeo's testimonial in October 66, so Chris may have trained but not played with big John.

As one of the Ashton 8, Chris left City for a 2nd time in the Autumn of 1981 and moved to a club in Hong Kong.

What was the Man U team, Cotswold?

01 Peter Schmeichel, 02 Mike Phelan, 03 Clayton Blackmore, 04 Steve Bruce, 05 Brian Carey, 06 Colin McKee, 07 Bryan Robson, 08 Paul Ince, 09 Dion Dublin, 10 Mark Hughes, 11 Lee Sharpe, 12 Brian McClair (Colin McKee).

Wouldn't mind that central midfield about now!

VERY good book if it's the one I'm thinking of - "A Life of Two Halves" (or similar) - had it for Christmas last year and read it pretty much in the one sitting. Very very much a local hero.

After leaving City he actually came back to play for us, presumably on non-contract terms, in about '82 or '83. As did Tom Ritchie.

For any young 'uns reading this - or just anyone who hasn't read the book - buy it. It's a great read.

Chris Garland = legend :city:

1971 Chris G was selected to play for a FA team touring Australia. The Coach for that squad was Chelsea's. He reported back to his club and they prepared a bid. City's 2nd game of the 71-72 season was a League Cup tie at Plymouth, but Chris didn't play due to an injury. When a week later he signed for Chelsea he was therefore not cup tied and went on to play for Chelsea in the final.

A few years back that radio station TalkSport broadcast a piece about him. One of their "studio experts" announced Garland was always a Chelsea player but towards the end of his career he moved to Bristol City.

Garland went from City to Chelsea for £100,000. He then moved on to Leicester and City bought him back for £110,000.

I've gone through some old programmes which state "Garland made his debut for Bristol City in December 1966" He wasn't in the team for Atyeo's testimonial in October 66, so Chris may have trained but not played with big John.

As one of the Ashton 8, Chris left City for a 2nd time in the Autumn of 1981 and moved to a club in Hong Kong.

If I recall we beat Cardiff 2-0 on a Tuesday night and went top of the table. Next day Evening Post headlines "Garland sold for £100,000".

Last time I saw him was in a betting shop, didn't appear to be very lucky, although neither was I!

01 Peter Schmeichel, 02 Mike Phelan, 03 Clayton Blackmore, 04 Steve Bruce, 05 Brian Carey, 06 Colin McKee, 07 Bryan Robson, 08 Paul Ince, 09 Dion Dublin, 10 Mark Hughes, 11 Lee Sharpe, 12 Brian McClair (Colin McKee).

Wouldn't mind that central midfield about now!

Didn't Mark Hughes score an absolute world class volley? Or did I dream that?

Archived