IGNORED

Best Boxing Day Games?

CiderArmyy

Any of the multiple West Brom boxing day away games.

BCAGFC

i remember a great one in the early 90s i think - huge away following, cracking atmosphere on the open terrace, and a real back to wall win with west brom chucking the kitchen sink at us. great buzz. think we were up there the following season on boxing day, this time they'd seated the terrace and keith welch was beaten by a lame bounce :(

City 5 Coventry 0, 1978 I think. I'm sure Joe Royle got 4 of them. I was in the park end with my dad.

The next day the WDP suggested City could now qualify for the following season's UEFA Cup.

One of my fabourites was not a win, but still memorable; 1972.

Away to PNE and 1-0 down after 12 seconds, 2-0 down after 12 mins. City fought back to 2-2 only to concede a third before half time. Just one goal in the 2nd half for a 3-3 draw. As it was Christmas, we were actually allowed to sing on the Supporters Club coaches.

i remember a great one in the early 90s i think - huge away following, cracking atmosphere on the open terrace, and a real back to wall win with west brom chucking the kitchen sink at us. great buzz. think we were up there the following season on boxing day, this time they'd seated the terrace and keith welch was beaten by a lame bounce :(

Think Tinnion got he winner, I remember a few days later Collymore and Forest destroyed us at the gate. One of the finest displays I have seen from a visiting player that day. Collymore was unplayable.

Not a boxing day game but a game on the 28th dec 1974. The gas v City. Very strong wind towards the muller rd end, City 1 down at half time (playing against the wind) I was in the south stand enclosure with my old man and my mate who was a gas head, I remember being pretty pissed off at half time and my mate said "do honestly think you won't win this'? and low and behold 4 great goals in a great 2nd half to win 4-1 and a little inkling that Alan Dicks was building an impressive side and the very next season was the proof of that.

Not a boxing day game but a game on the 28th dec 1974. The gas v City. 4 great goals in a great 2nd half to win 4-1

That was my 20th birthday and as ech City goal went in my mates all shook my hand whilst wishing me a happy birthday.

20 years before that was the 54/55 season, the last time City were Champions of any division. Monday 27th, Dad took Mum to the Maternity ward. then went down the Gate to watch City win. Tuesday 28th I was born at 5.00am and in the afternoon City won 2-0 at Reading to maintain that promotion push.

As the 25th & 26th fell on weekend days, Tuesday 28th was officially Boxing Day that year; so Boxing Day 1954 was doubly good for me.

Archived