IGNORED

Prey For Van Persie...

Philly The Kid

I think you should re-address your facts,the fastest point of a object is just after its been struck,then losese momentum the further travels............if your confused try looking at Newtons three laws of motion

Not necessarily. A ball that is spinning in a forward direction can accelerate on hitting the ground as rotational energy is transferred to translational energy. Hence the top-spinner.

The reverse is, of course, true for the flipper.

Not necessarily. A ball that is spinning in a forward direction can accelerate on hitting the ground as rotational energy is transferred to translational energy. Hence the top-spinner.

The reverse is, of course, true for the flipper.

So, it accelerates after being "struck" by the ground. I would guess it slows down after leaving the ground, with its fastest moment being just after impacting the ground?

Things don't speed up without impact or acceleration of some sort.

So, it accelerates after being "struck" by the ground. I would guess it slows down after leaving the ground, with its fastest moment being just after impacting the ground?

Things don't speed up without impact or acceleration of some sort.

1. Absolutely right.

2. OR when rotational energy is transferred into translational. Try it yourself - drop** a spinning pool ball on to a table and see what it does...

** NOT from a great height, please, or you'll be barred from your local ;)

Death was a bit over the top until you consider that essentially the speed the ball did ravel could have caused his neck to whip, he could have been paralysed, left with brain damage or maybe had a small concussion. No matter the outcome or the fact that Williams never intended to actually strike the ball into Van Persie it was still extremely dangerous and could have done serious harm. Had Williams lost his temper/ became frustrated and lunged into a tackle with two feet he would have been sent off and yet that could have been less dangerous. People seem to miss the fact what he did was dangerous and could have done serious damage and all he got was a booking, had it been a two footed challenge or had he even just pushed a player over he may have been sent off, very bad consistency in the logic in my opinion, I think he should have been sent off and disciplined.

I think the booking was fornthe afters as RVP got a booking as well, not sure though.

I think you should re-address your facts,the fastest point of a object is just after its been struck,then losese momentum the further travels............if your confused try looking at Newtons three laws of motion

don't even need to reply as you have already been proved wrong,

Well, in fairness to me, I started the thread thinking people would be amused by a satirical poster.

I didn't realise it was going to veer off into a health and safety debate!!!

For what it's worth, I hate Man U with every fibre in my being, but TBH, Williams knew exactly what it was he was doing. His eyes were squarely on VP when he kicked the ball.

As with most subjects posted on here, you can guarantee that with 5 replies, the topic will have deviated away completely from the original subject matter!!
Love it!! :yahoo:

May I suggest you take a look at Will Ferrells three laws of stupidity?

At least there's some more sensible posts in here than the SAF thread.

All the comments about RVP, it's not even him that made the comment about being killed!

Yes SAF probably over reacted a little, however if you think what Williams did wasn't dangerous then you are a moron. He could have at the very least been concussed.

The first book in English on stupidity was A Short Introduction to the History of Stupidity by Walter B. Pitkin (1932):

"Stupidity can easily be proved the supreme Social Evil. Three factors combine to establish it as such. First and foremost, the number of stupid people is legion. Secondly, most of the power in business, finance, diplomacy and politics is in the hands of more or less stupid individuals. Finally, high abilities are often linked with serious stupidity."

I wouldn't disagree with any of that.

Are people still going on about how dangerous it was?

Really?

Answer this; how are you more likely to die? By having a ball kicked at your head a la Williams? Or a deliberate elbow a la RvP on Cabaye?

Lot of closet manure fans on here.

So by this logic stabbing a man is ok so long as you don't shoot him?

One dangerous act doesn't make another less dangerous.

Archived