IGNORED

Hate To Say It But It Looks Like Were Going Down.

red army

Bring in O'Driscoll i think, the losses just cannot go on.

There has been many wishes for this guy, why? a manager thats just been sacked because the owners said "cant see SOD taking us forward enough" "he brought players in the summer but they have not jelled quick enough" remind you of someone we already have.

POINTLESS EXERCISE and a complete waste of money. Better spending money in the window on players we need than wasting it swapping like for like. With absolutly no guarantee it would be a magical cure anyway. SL will stick

Think we make it. We had our long dip. Its only one way, forward. The defence is better now with unningham back and Fonts getting better. Mcmanus had a good game vs Ipswich and Skuse is back. Think he is better than Elliot. Danns a good player. The team has to win on saturday. Think is a question of confidence. We have to win games, simple as that. Posh are scoring plenty at the moment but soday it stops, hopefully on saturday. Clean sheet for the first time this season would be nice. The other bottom teames are starting winning think City are beginning win soon. We have players who can score and I think we have a good chance to avoid relegation. Posh game is massive, a must win. COYR.

Think we make it. We had our long dip. Its only one way, forward. The defence is better now with unningham back and Fonts getting better. Mcmanus had a good game vs Ipswich and Skuse is back. Think he is better than Elliot. Danns a good player. The team has to win on saturday. Think is a question of confidence. We have to win games, simple as that. Posh are scoring plenty at the moment but soday it stops, hopefully on saturday. Clean sheet for the first time this season would be nice. The other bottom teames are starting winning think City are beginning win soon. We have players who can score and I think we have a good chance to avoid relegation. Posh game is massive, a must win. COYR.

Great post, I love your continual optimism !

The defense is a shambles, not because the individual players are all crap, its down to the fact they are disorganized. There's no natural leader, no natural defensive midfielder and no consistent structure. Its as if they don't know what their individual roles are and that has to be down to the coaching staff.

And who brought in the coaching staff?

The coaching is a shambles down there by all accounts. I have been told there practise different formations in the week on how the team is set up and then come match day the team is set up completely differently . Not sure how much truth is in that as you only hear that's person story but judging by what I see on a Saturday it's does seem belive able .

It boils down to January. Does Lansdown leave it, save himself money and hope for the best we limp across. In the process thinking of the FFP.

Or does he dip into his pocket again, buy our way out of this bottom 3, back McInnes in bringing that right sided centre back, bring in a few central midfielders. Hopefully shift some players out on free, sale or loan.

I think we'll see City spend this window, were in a worse position this year than we were last year. I still have faith in McInnes but his tactical decisions have been nothing more than clueless. I understand he wants to play 4-4-2, but at the moment we are stuck with 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 w.e he feels like playing. But if he is turning round and saying we cannot play 4-4-2 at the moment because we do not have the right type of players to fit that system, well I think that is cobblers. 4-5-1 to me and I expect others does not seem a system these players can play with, or for any formation going.

4-5-1 with Stead or Taylor up front is not going to work, you need a finisher up front to win you games and that is a key part with what we are missing. It baffles me how Baldock & Davies do not start together with a 4-4-2. I understand that Davies may not last the full 90, but he should not be doing all the running if Baldock is with him. The team SHOULD on paper be like this.

. Heaton,

Foster. .Bates, McManus, Cunningham,

, Adomah, Skuse, Danns, Anderson

. . . . , Baldock, Davies.

How McInnes can say these players cannot play to this formation really does baffle me and I would say something fishy is going on if he believes we cannot play 4-4-2. I understand Danns & Skuse are hardly the most strongest pairing. But I cannot fault any excuse in saying that team cannot score us goals. We really need a tough tackling centre midfielder and another creative midfielder this january to give us hope.

yes, we're bottom at the moment, but, if memory serves me rightly, werent sunderland bottom at Christmas a few years back and went on to win the league? Not saying were going to win the league or anything, but we only have to finish 21st. Just trying to say that anything is possible in football

yes, we're bottom at the moment, but, if memory serves me rightly, werent sunderland bottom at Christmas a few years back and went on to win the league? Not saying were going to win the league or anything, but we only have to finish 21st. Just trying to say that anything is possible in football

I think what some people have forgotten is that while Posh, Wednesday and Ipswich are all winning, other sides are losing. Football's funny like that - the number of sides gaining three points any given week will be matched exactly by the number gaining 0 :cool2:

If we can get more on the first half of that equation than the other, we will stay up. And we have half a season to do it too!

If we bring in a manager who plays to our strengths and sees our weaknesses then we have every possibility.

We haven't got the strongest side in the division by any means, but we've shown we can beat the 1st, 3rd and 4th side in this league already. Handled correctly, we can survive and consolidate.

It boils down to January. Does Lansdown leave it, save himself money and hope for the best we limp across. In the process thinking of the FFP.

Or does he dip into his pocket again, buy our way out of this bottom 3, back McInnes in bringing that right sided centre back, bring in a few central midfielders. Hopefully shift some players out on free, sale or loan.

I think we'll see City spend this window, were in a worse position this year than we were last year. I still have faith in McInnes but his tactical decisions have been nothing more than clueless. I understand he wants to play 4-4-2, but at the moment we are stuck with 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 w.e he feels like playing. But if he is turning round and saying we cannot play 4-4-2 at the moment because we do not have the right type of players to fit that system, well I think that is cobblers. 4-5-1 to me and I expect others does not seem a system these players can play with, or for any formation going.

4-5-1 with Stead or Taylor up front is not going to work, you need a finisher up front to win you games and that is a key part with what we are missing. It baffles me how Baldock & Davies do not start together with a 4-4-2. I understand that Davies may not last the full 90, but he should not be doing all the running if Baldock is with him. The team SHOULD on paper be like this.

. Heaton,

How McInnes can say these players cannot play to this formation really does baffle me and I would say something fishy is going on if he believes we cannot play 4-4-2. I understand Danns & Skuse are hardly the most strongest pairing. But I cannot fault any excuse in saying that team cannot score us goals. We really need a tough tackling centre midfielder and another creative midfielder this january to give us hope.

This is the team we should be playing, IMO. What's scary, is that really doesn't look a bad team at all!

Our Midfield is not to blame it is our Defence they are not performing we are getting the goals and them midfielders are playing well its our defence who are poor!!

It's not an either / or debate. They have both not been good enough. For the life of me, I can't understand why so many on here criticise McInnes over who he picks up front in particular games when the defensive side of the game has been our problem. How many games have we dominated but failed to take our chances in? No more than 2 (Barnsley and Ipswich away). It's been a matter of gifting the opposition easy goals and not controlling games. Our attack in whichever combination have been decent, particularly if you consider a goals to chances ratio.

. Heaton,

That team is scary.... if you're Tom Heaton. We have the wide players and strikers to play 4 4 2, but we don't have the centre halves or centre midfielders, though a fully fit Danns and Skuse may come close. Your suggested side is very attacking, which means that it would be wide open to the counter attack. We may win the odd game playing like this, but we'd have to go 2-0 up I'd say.

I really think that 3 5 2 or 3 4 3 is the way forward for us. It means the following:-

1. We have an extra centre half- 2 has clearly not been enough so far.

2. It pushes Cunningham and Foster onto the opposition wingers and simplifies their defensive roles. They are no longer really expected to cover the centre halves as there are 3 of them. They can both push forward.

3. With left sided and right sided centre halves, we have players defending in the channels. There have been times when there has been 40 yards between our centre halves and full backs when we've been defending.

4. We can control midfield and play 2 strikers.

Hull play 3 5 2 and have been doing amazingly well with it. Del just needs to shoehorn Albert into the side. I'd like to see him moved from being stuck on the right and given a bit more freedom. As a right winger he isn't really that good a crosser of the ball. Love to see him given a free role behind 2 strikers or as a centre forward if we're being more conservative. It would be harder for the opposition to double up on him.

Summat like this at home

Heaton

Bates McManus Fontaine

Foster Skuse Danns Cunningham

Albert

Davies Baldock

To my mind that has the right balance between attacking threat and defensive solidity. It also gives our biggest threats a bit of freedom. Davies could easily drop deeper and Albert push up front for example.

We can get out the s*** this year if we learn how to beat the league's average sides. We seem to be able to beat the best and worst but have an appalling record against the mid table sides, which is weird. To do that, the manager needs to deal with basic weaknesses and be cuter about how we play to our strengths and exploit the other side's weaknesses. I think maybe when we play sides at the top, he really places a lot on tactics as we have to combat the other side's strengths. Perhaps this is less in focus against the likes of Charlton, Derby etc and we suffer as we don't really have a style of play. For this reason, I really hope we stick to 3 at the back. Gain some consistency in how we approach games and confidence and the level of performance can improve from there.

On paper even our defence should be performing now. We all have seen Cunningham's ability which will ideally only improve at his age, McManus has been proven to be a player that isn't outstanding but usually gets the job done and Bates is highly rated (tracked by Premier league clubs according to SSN) just very injury prone. Even Mark Wilson was fondly thought of at Celtic so I'm not sure what has gone wrong for him here, as his performances have been disappointing when he has played.

But unless something changes in our performances drastically, I hate to say it but the original poster is right.

Archived