IGNORED

Funniest Moment Watching City?

CiderArmyy

The funniest moment I saw at Ashton Gate was on 7th December1957 when Bristol City played Fulham in what was then Division 2 of the Football League.

Fulham had Johnny Haynes at inside left, one of the greatest footballers this country has ever produced, and he was at his pomp spraying passes in all directions around the pitch. In particular to his left winger a tall long striding player with a beard and jutting chin who was a good player but achieved greater fame as a football manager and pundit, Jimmy Hill.

Fulham quickly scored 5 goals and the Bristol City fans were silent and the silence was deafening because there was little away support and any there was would be thinly distributed around the ground because there was no segregation in those days.

In this silence one fan saw Haynes pick up the ball once again and running ahead of him was Jimmy Hill of the upright stance, beard and jutting chin. This fan standing on the terraces where the Atyeo stand now is called out to Haynes “Give it to the Rabbi”. Suddenly it seemed the whole stadium was laughing and a 5-nil defeat was made somehow palatable.

Luton away back in 2004? Back in the days when I travelled with the CJS, someone from the coach was always picked to be mascot. Won't name names but kiddie picked as mascot for this game was pissed up and kept blasting the ball at Phillips during the pre match warm up. Phillips was fuuuming and we were all chanting at our mate. Lita for congo will remember this.

McCombe's overhead kick vs hull, i laughed through the whole celebration instead of actually cheering, and then the shot he had from just outside the box that hit the post in the same game added to it, legend

the paper plane contest in the dolman when we were getting battered by cardiff, when one finally hit the pitch everyone went mental.. "good" times?

When smoking was permitted at AG; a guy flicked his lighter, but the wick was set to high. Yep; he burnt his nose causing mirth amongst those near him.

October 1970; a gale blew during the game v Oxford. Suddenly the sides blew off the then new Dolman Stand. Cue the East End singing "We've got the Rubble End".

Last game of the 74-75 season at home to Fulham. A firmly struck shot went wide and hit the rear of a police horse. The copper riding it struggled to control the now stampeding beast and nearly came off. It brought a cheer & laughs from both sets of fans.

A few years later, not BCFC, but still "City" related. Norwich C v Man C and the fans at one end were sepparated by a double row of railings. During the prematch kick about, a ball landed on the terrace. The fans started throwing the ball from one side to the other. One Man C fan threw the ball towards the Norwich fans, but not hard enough and it landed between those double railings thus bringing their game to an end. Both sets of fans rounded on and verbally abused the thrower.

Three pigs and the wolf. Or (I cant remember the game) where a chap behind me jumped up when we scored and lost his front two false teeth that were attached to some kind of brace. 20 of us looking for them, found them 3 rows down all bent up. Poor bloke

Not politically correct, but when the lines woman was running the line down Ashton Gate - a fair few songs along the lines of "you should have stayed in the kitchen" - can't remember the others.

Watching the stretcher bearers drop someone off the stretcher - which potentially could be dangerous - but humourous at the same time.

...and then there's the songs in the mid 90's directed at some of the keepers concerning their weight, such as "Weight watchers la la la", and "slim fast on a Tueday night"

I could of sworn that one keeper was joining in with the banter at the Atyeo so much that he forgot there was a game on and a let a goal in - I think we may have been winning by quite a lot at that point.

Also remember chanting at the keeper "you fat bar steward", when one of our fans at the front the Atyeo took his shirt off, and with all his scrawny frame tried to so off his abs at which point the turned around, lifted his shirt and showed the most amazing six pack you'll ever see - think it may have been the Birmingham keeper from a couple of seasons ago.

Not politically correct, but when the lines woman was running the line down Ashton Gate - a fair few songs along the lines of "you should have stayed in the kitchen" - can't remember the others.

Watching the stretcher bearers drop someone off the stretcher - which potentially could be dangerous - but humourous at the same time.

...and then there's the songs in the mid 90's directed at some of the keepers concerning their weight, such as "Weight watchers la la la", and "slim fast on a Tueday night"

I could of sworn that one keeper was joining in with the banter at the Atyeo so much that he forgot there was a game on and a let a goal in - I think we may have been winning by quite a lot at that point.

Also remember chanting at the keeper "you fat bar steward", when one of our fans at the front the Atyeo took his shirt off, and with all his scrawny frame tried to so off his abs at which point the turned around, lifted his shirt and showed the most amazing six pack you'll ever see - think it may have been the Birmingham keeper from a couple of seasons ago.

yeah Maik Taylor, totallly flummoxed the chap who was giving him some, in fact that chap was always giving the keepers gyp...

Last season against Leicester. Schmeichel kicked the ball which from the Atyeo looked like it's going out for a throw-in, so the Atyeo just shouted "whaaaaay", just as the ball somehow curved and went straight to a Leicester player, and Schmeichel turned around and looked at the Atyeo with his hands out wide. That same player that got the ball then tried to pass it to someone, and the ball went out for a throw and the Atyeo again just shouted "whaaay" and Schmeichel turned around again and just shrugged his shoulders this time.

Archived