IGNORED

Heaton Sending Off?

Super

Can't help thinking after watching it again we got a bit of luck at last yesterday. No doubt Heaton should of been sent off, it really was poor play by Cunningham but if that is not stopping a goal scoring opportunity then I don't know what is!. It is about time we had some luck so long may it continue!

Can't help thinking after watching it again we got a bit of luck at last yesterday. No doubt Heaton should of been sent off, it really was poor play by Cunningham but if that is not stopping a goal scoring opportunity then I don't know what is!. It is about time we had some luck so long may it continue!

For me it was a clear red. He would have had a clear goalscoring oppurtunity without the foul and Heaton should have been sent off. The decision not to was welcome and could be the turning point of our season.

For me it was a clear red. He would have had a clear goalscoring oppurtunity without the foul and Heaton should have been sent off. The decision not to was welcome and could be the turning point of our season.

Cheers mate thought I was the only one!

The ball was too far past the Boro player and too wide for it to be a clear goal scoring opportunity. Yellow for me.

The real question is why didn't the ref book the Boro player when he conceded our penalty? I don't think the Boro player should have been booked. He just mistimed the tackle and was unfortunate but then the same could be said for Heaton.

If anyone deserved to be sent off it was Cunningham. The ref should have brandished his red card, told him he was sending him off for simulation of a back pass header and queried what the **** he thought he was doing....

For me it was a clear red. He would have had a clear goalscoring oppurtunity without the foul and Heaton should have been sent off.

That's exactly what the BBC P'boro' commentators said. I'm grateful for both the Ref's decision and the post further up giving the Ref's reasons for not issuing a red card.

I think we were very lucky. Hopefully the result, Tomlins red, McManus' goal and Heaton not getting sent off is the start of our luck changing.

If it wasn't last man I don't know what is. No way did Boyd knock it too far ahead! We were even luckier considering most ref's would look to even it up.

I think we were very lucky. Hopefully the result, Tomlins red, McManus' goal and Heaton not getting sent off is the start of our luck changing.

If it wasn't last man I don't know what is. No way did Boyd knock it too far ahead! We were even luckier considering most ref's would look to even it up.

But you don't get a red card for being last man, you get a red card for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. At the game I thought Heaton was very lucky, but having seen it again on TV Boyd did knock it very wide, so there must have been some doubt about how easy it was going to be for him to get to the ball and turn it in. I think it could have gone either way.

It's about time they changed this ruling anyway, when the foul is in the penalty area: the attacking team still has a clear goalscoring opportunity from the penalty, so a yellow card is enough further punishment.

But you don't get a red card for being last man, you get a red card for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. At the game I thought Heaton was very lucky, but having seen it again on TV Boyd did knock it very wide, so there must have been some doubt about how easy it was going to be for him to get to the ball and turn it in. I think it could have gone either way.

It's about time they changed this ruling anyway, when the foul is in the penalty area: the attacking team still has a clear goalscoring opportunity from the penalty, so a yellow card is enough further punishment.

Yes very true actually. Yesterday it looked very much like a goal scoring opportunity.

Either way clarity is needed. Just glad the ref didn't look to even things up!

Same thing as james vs Derby 2 seasons back. If the knock around pushes it too far away from goal, it's only a yellow. I would not have been unhappy if the shoe were on the other foot and the peterborough keeper had only got a yellow.

I was thinking about that incident too when I saw that, for me it was a yellow. I think a lot of refs just give yellow for something like that but if it was a defender taking out the last man which a definite red is only given.

I think it was a sending off.

I was in line for Tomlin's elbow and Heaton bringing down Boyd.

Both were reds by the letter of the law.

I still think we'd have beaten them 10 v 10.

One thing I find interesting is how different things can look depending on the view you get. I sit over the half way line in the Dolman, and goals and action often look very different from the angle of the TV cameras opposite from what I've seen at the game (the penalty yesterday was an example of that for me - Boyd seemed to go much wider on TV than when I saw it live).

Which is why I have a bit of sympathy for refs, who only get one (often imperfect) view of an incident. I particularly have sympathy for them when there's some numpty TV pundit saying something like, "look, when we blow up the slow motion from this fourth camera angle it clearly shows what a dreadful mistake the ref's made".

I think it was a sending off.

I was in line for Tomlin's elbow and Heaton bringing down Boyd.

Both were reds by the letter of the law.

I still think we'd have beaten them 10 v 10.

Thank God I'm an ignorant sod and assumed that refs usually just give yellows if they were also giving a pen (yellow + pen = red in my book!). Otherwise I'd probably have had a heart attack.

I was thinking about that incident too when I saw that, for me it was a yellow. I think a lot of refs just give yellow for something like that but if it was a defender taking out the last man which a definite red is only given.

That's another nonsense about the way this rule is applied.

If a defender is the last player apart from the goalkeeper and brings down an attacker, a red card is given. But if the keeper takes out the attacker with one defender on the line, often a yellow card is given.

When you think about this logically, the easier goalscoring opportunity is the one where the player on/near the line isn't allowed to use his hands. So a foul by the goalkeeper is (arguably) more serious than one by the defender - the attacker is more likely to score past the defender than past the goalkeeper - but that gets a lesser punishment.

I take your point completely on angles etc but from my view pretty much in line with him pulling him down, he was going to score quite eaily and Heaton pulled him down.

I didn't look where the linesman was - and to be fair this bloke was 3 yards behind the play for varying fast paced incidents - but thats the point of them isn't it?

The referee can see from his view and then he is supposed to use his officials who also will have the view in line with an incident - in order to give a wide ranging set of views to make a decision.

Your point though where refs get chastised on the basis of a slowed down x 1000 camera replay is nonsense.

A mate of mine refs at L1 and L2 level and does 4th officialling for the Championship (he has done games at the Gate because he's from Birmingham and had Malky Mackay in his ear for all of City v Watford) and he said you get 10 secs basically to make your mind up, then bear in mind you've got 5-6 players all over you etc. I have a fair bit of sympathy for refs, its a no -win role.

Merson on soccer Saturday had a point on this a couple of weeks ago, he argued that the ref shouldn't send of players when they have committed a foul for 'denying a goalscoring opportunity' when in side the box. As the resulting penalty allows the team to have another goal scoring opportunity. I have to say items to agree with this, what do you think?

I take your point completely on angles etc but from my view pretty much in line with him pulling him down, he was going to score quite eaily and Heaton pulled him down.

Just watched this several times over on iplayer and there is no way he is going to score quite easily.

If you look at the ball direction at point of impact with Heaton, he is leaving himself an awful lot to do. He would be running completely away from goal and having to wrap his foot around it at a tight angle.

He could score, he's a good player but it's a very difficult chance especially when you consider the position of McManus by the time Boyd would have reached the ball - he may have made it back behind Heaton.

Would have been a harsh sending off IMO.

Archived