IGNORED

Did Cunningham Cheat?

tinman-is-god

The way that Greg Cunningham reacted to the shove he received from Tomlin was pretty pathetic but resulted in a man being sent off which left us at a distinct advantage. He rolled around the floor, exaggerated contact and forced the referee to make a decision. The question I would pose is:

A) Was Cunningham right to dive and feign injury to get the man sent off for what was a red card offence

B) Was this simply cheating and symptomatic of the modern game?

C) Does anyone actually think it hurt him?

I think my opinion is a mixture of A and B. Would be interested to get the thoughts of the forum on what was a key event in the match.

I was sat in the Atyeo, level with this incident and saw it clearly.

The Boro player shoved Cunningham in the face with the palm of his hand. If he got caught on the nose then it sure would have hurt for 30s or so. Does that mean Cunningham should have fallen to the ground. Perhaps not.

I think it's unfair to suggest Cunningham feigned injury. He was caught in the face with a hand. Irrespective of the injury or otherwise, it was as clear a red as you'll ever see. Which does make you wonder what the Boro player was on? Perhaps our team are beginning to get a bit nasty...

Looked pretty straight forward to me, elbow and red.

What about Boyd, went down for their pen (no dispute) led there cluctching his leg like it was broken, then miraculously leapt back to his feet to protest because Heaton was only booked.

Same with Nasri for Man City yesterday, and Van Persie for Utd last week after 'nearly being killed' according to the red nosed bully.

One of the many problems with the modern game.

CHR

So what was it elbow or palm, seems to be conflicting versions of events. Either way, raised hand or elbow are both red cards.

I can't ever remember rolling on the floor when catching a elbow or hand in the face, hold my face and swear a bit maybe, but chuck myself to the floor? No need, either the ref or assistant sees it or not, no need to hit the deck.

The way that Greg Cunningham reacted to the shove he received from Tomlin was pretty pathetic but resulted in a man being sent off which left us at a distinct advantage. He rolled around the floor, exaggerated contact and forced the referee to make a decision. The question I would pose is:

A) Was Cunningham right to dive and feign injury to get the man sent off for what was a red card offence

B) Was this simply cheating and symptomatic of the modern game?

C) Does anyone actually think it hurt him?

I think my opinion is a mixture of A and B. Would be interested to get the thoughts of the forum on what was a key event in the match.

Hardly , he went down on his back and rolled over onto his front , half a roll.

Don't think it mattered though , the linesman flagged straight away and it was always going to be a red.

Looked pretty straight forward to me, elbow and red.

What about Boyd, went down for their pen (no dispute) led there cluctching his leg like it was broken, then miraculously leapt back to his feet to protest because Heaton was only booked.

Same with Nasri for Man City yesterday, and Van Persie for Utd last week after 'nearly being killed' according to the red nosed bully.

One of the many problems with the modern game.

CHR

Would agree with this assessment.

Just ask yourself this, would Tomlin of done the same thing had he of been elbowed in the face? i think so!!

Fair play to greg, thoes thugs kept him out for months, i think its called justice!!

Oh and 3 points....... :D:D

We need to get nasty if we want to stay up, if that means we are classed as 'cheats' then i really couldn't give a dam!!

COYRRR!!

I don't query the red but surely you would accept he, at the very least, exaggerated the contact?

I don't know how much contact there was. It looked as though he was caught flush in the face from my seat in the Dolman. If you get caught on the bridge of the nose , it can be pretty painful.

Only GC knows how much force he felt , maybe he's a bit of a pussy , or maybe he is showing some of the street wise tactics that other teams employ against us and our players are accused of not doing enough.

Not at all. Tomlin is just a fat toad with an attitude problem.

For all the great football posh play I can see why they always struggle. They have a complete lack of discipline. One of the dirtiest teams I've seen in a long time.

The likes of Bostwick, Mark Little could have gone as well yesterday. Horrible bunch.

Tomlin actually appears to glance around to check he's not in the ref's eyeline before swinging his elbow. Silly boy forgot the lino had a clear view though. Footballers aren't the brightest, are they?

Regardless of the pain level inflicted it was clearly intended to take an opposing player out and was quite correctly adjudged to be violent conduct. A straight red offence.

The way that Greg Cunningham reacted to the shove he received from Tomlin was pretty pathetic but resulted in a man being sent off which left us at a distinct advantage. He rolled around the floor, exaggerated contact and forced the referee to make a decision. The question I would pose is: A) Was Cunningham right to dive and feign injury to get the man sent off for what was a red card offence B) Was this simply cheating and symptomatic of the modern game? C) Does anyone actually think it hurt him? I think my opinion is a mixture of A and B. Would be interested to get the thoughts of the forum on what was a key event in the match.
What a load of shite! Elbowed him plain and simple. Elbow you in the face see how you react

The way I look at it is reverse the situation.

Same two players, same place, same incident.

But Cunningham raises his hand and Tomlin went down holding his face, then jumps up and goes off the field and then comes straight back on.

How would the Atyeo and Dolman have reacted to Tomlin?

There is your answer.

I was sat in the Atyeo, level with this incident and saw it clearly.

The Boro player shoved Cunningham in the face with the palm of his hand. If he got caught on the nose then it sure would have hurt for 30s or so. Does that mean Cunningham should have fallen to the ground. Perhaps not.

I think it's unfair to suggest Cunningham feigned injury. He was caught in the face with a hand. Irrespective of the injury or otherwise, it was as clear a red as you'll ever see. Which does make you wonder what the Boro player was on? Perhaps our team are beginning to get a bit nasty...

This is exactly how it was I had the same view but probably a bit higher up. Tomlin's not the smallest of blokes and put his weight behind the shove. Cunningham's not the largest of blokes and went down, if he acted any part of it, he did it well as it was quite a shove. I'm fairly sure if tomlin had done that in front of a copper outside the ground he'd have been arrested. He had to go and the ref didn't hesitate. Shame in a way because our win would have been more credible against 11.

Archived