IGNORED

The Fastest Player Of All Time?

CiderArmyy

In 50-odd years supporting City, nobody has compared with Junior Bent for sheer pace. He couldn't score to save his life (think barn door and banjo) - except against us, of course ;)

20 goals in 183 games for us must be some sort of record for a forward but, on his day, he could be quite brilliant. I remember him taking Julian Dicks apart against Liverpool in the Cup.

In 50-odd years supporting City, nobody has compared with Junior Bent for sheer pace. He couldn't score to save his life (think barn door and banjo) - except against us, of course ;)

20 goals in 183 games for us must be some sort of record for a forward but, on his day, he could be quite brilliant. I remember him taking Julian Dicks apart against Liverpool in the Cup.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, mate, in 30 years supporting City here are my top three -

1. Ivan Sproule

2. Junior Bent

3. Dave Smith

In terms of quality I would say that Smith was marginally better than the other two as he had more of an end product. Sproule was erratic, You Tube his hat trick for Hibs at Ibrox against a then very strong Rangers outfit to see what Sproule could do on his day.

The Difference was Smudger could cross at speed where Ivan and Junior couldn't

Smudger could only cross at speed, slow him down and he was stuffed. Saying that, he had 10 times the crossing ability of the other 2 put together.

Smudger was a cracking player. Just a shame Bailey shagged his wife to force him to bigger off.

Dave Smith. My childhood hero.

He was Ace, used to love the way he would knock the ball 20-30 yards ahead and still get there before the defender (unless the defender was Alexander who took him out!)

We used to joke that he was in love wirh the corner flag as it didnt matter where he picked up the ball he always used to head for it.

I'd say he was the fastest over half a pitch, Sproule & Bent maybe quicker over shorter distances.

i can actually remember Junior making a tackle on the wing once, running away quick as lightning, getting about 30/40 yards, looking down at his feet and realising he hadn't come away with the ball in the first place! Having said that, I cant remember a quicker player, just a shame he didnt have an end product. I really think that if he could have put the ball in the net he could have gone on to massive things

Still remember Junior skinning two blokes with some great skill then fall over the ball! Great entertainment those days with Liam Robinson as well! Pure comedy at times.

Happy days. I remember at the time the BEP used to run a fantasy football league. One of the teams was called '"and Bent must score". Says it all really.

Still remember Junior skinning two blokes with some great skill then fall over the ball! Great entertainment those days with Liam Robinson as well! Pure comedy at times.

Wasn't it Liam Robinson who scored 4 goals for us all season, 2 away at Peterborough and 2 home against Peterborough on the last day of the season. IIRC the second goal was hit just inside the Peterborough half, swerved about 4ft left, 4ft right, went up and down and beat the keeper all ends up

I'm going to have to disagree with you, mate, in 30 years supporting City here are my top three -

1. Ivan Sproule

2. Junior Bent

3. Dave Smith

In terms of quality I would say that Smith was marginally better than the other two as he had more of an end product. Sproule was erratic, You Tube his hat trick for Hibs at Ibrox against a then very strong Rangers outfit to see what Sproule could do on his day.

Pretty much agree with that. Scotty and Albert not too shabby either. Just to change tack a little, would say that Keith Curle was our quickest defender, no co-incidence though as he was signed as a winger!

In my 15 odd years supporting city, sproule , scotty and albert were probably the quickest. Aaron brown was no slouch either. Murray had by far the best end product, remember him scoring a wonder goal against oldham when he tackled their left midfielder and ran the length of the pitch to score- up there with the best goals ive seen at the gate.

Not sure what point you're making. Junior's strike rate was one in ten - not unusual for a winger, and roughly the same as Albert. I remember him as a great player for us, scoring some key goals (Swindon, Derby away) and some important performances (Leicester and Liverpool in the cup). Unfortunately his erratic shooting in the Liverpool ties seems to have created the myth that he was always a poor finisher. He was no Bob Taylor, but he could finish at times. As you say, he could be quite brilliant on his day and he was a good servant for the club.

Archived