IGNORED

The Fastest Player Of All Time?

CiderArmyy

Still remember Junior skinning two blokes with some great skill then fall over the ball! Great entertainment those days with Liam Robinson as well! Pure comedy at times.

Blimey its taken until post 26 to mention Liam Robinson, for me he was as quick as any mentioned and as you say him and junior were a right pair to have in any team, explosive pace and rotton shooting skills is what I remember! (unless it was Liam against Peterborough as mentioned elsewhere!)

Dave Smith was quick and for me one of the best wingers I have seen at the gate, he over hit a few cross's, but they were often picked up by the other winger we played (Mark Gavin) who did not have his pace, but was very skillful and great to watch.

Happy days at the gate they were for me watching Jordans team of the late 80's... it was a proper football team back then...

Always loved Junior and Ivan. Sure they weren't the most talented and they could both prove to be immensely frustrating, but both of them, albeit occasionally, had the ability to produce something amazing. After watching many, many mundane players wear our glorious red shirts this is a quality you learn to appreciate. Both of them tried bloody hard as well and although this should be a prerequisite, the sad fact is that it isn't so players such as Sproule and Bent deserve credit.

Brennan, Haynes and super Scott were all rapid as well.

Andy Cole was the quickest forward i have seen, from memory he scored a hat trick in the cup against cardiff, his final goal was one of the those that left you thinking " blimey hes quick"

Junior had pace but the infamous floodlight game when he had 2 or 3 one on ones and missed them all, bless him.

for me smudger was lightning, he would push the ball on and run after it, 9 times out of 10 he got their miles ahead of the defender !

when i first read the thread i thought it said the FATTEST player :laugh:

Sproule was like a cartoon character over 25 yards and www all about acceleration. although he was capable of maintaining his top speed for a long distance, his top speed wasn't that of the bigger more powerful athletes.

I'd liken it to a comparison between spurs' lennon and bale; lennon would prob have the edge over 20 or so yards, but 50 yard bale would roast him.

Sproule was like a cartoon character over 25 yards and www all about acceleration. although he was capable of maintaining his top speed for a long distance, his top speed wasn't that of the bigger more powerful athletes.

I'd liken it to a comparison between spurs' lennon and bale; lennon would prob have the edge over 20 or so yards, but 50 yard bale would roast him.

Yeah there's a big difference between pace and speed. Lennon is one of the paciest players in football but when sol Campbell was still playing he was a faster runner. From a standing start I believe someone like sproule would beat an Olympic sprinter to a ball 10 yards away, but would obviously lose over a longer distance.

Sproule, he was the fastest man in the division and might have been in the football league

i remember Ivan coming on as a sub, getting the ball deep in the City half, sprinting 90 years and scoring.

Counting the seconds to cover those 90 yards, Ivan would have made the Olympic team of many countries.

Archived