IGNORED

City Millwall Highlights

WiltshireRed

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,12606_8377590,00.html

I wasn't at the game on new years day and this is the first highlights I have seen. Two things i wanted to say is on the first attack from millwall and there first goal, what in gods name is Wilson doing? I know everyone has said he's useless but thats surely on par with nicky hunt?

Also i dont know if anyone has already said but this season it seems as though we are unable to defend set peices, i can think of this game, burnley, ipswich off the top of my head where poor defending from set peices leads to goals (which if hadn't happened would have changed the result in every example (theoretically))

Reading this forum yesterday it seemed I was being told that Fontaine was torn apart for Millwalls first goal.

Having now watched it with my own eyes it seems that some posters "agendas" are getting in the way of the truth.

Fontaine was not to blame for that goal.

I don't think it was soley his fault however he did stand off and give too much time to the opposing player. Shouldn't have got unchallenged that far.

Mmmmm......Why didn't Fontaine close him down and throw himself into a tackle? Far too nice to be a defender. Wilson hasn't got the legs to push forward and then get back and often leaves the left side wide open to attack! A very poor goal to give away! We need a blood and thunder defender with some pace in the heart of that defence NOW!! Are they such a rare species?? Mcmanus and Bates are cover defenders at best hence why Middlesboro were happy to offload them.

Mmmmm......Why didn't Fontaine close him down and throw himself into a tackle? Far too nice to be a defender. Wilson hasn't got the legs to push forward and then get back and often leaves the left side wide open to attack! A very poor goal to give away! We need a blood and thunder defender with some pace in the heart of that defence NOW!! Are they such a rare species?? Mcmanus and Bates are cover defenders at best hence why Middlesboro were happy to offload them.

Yeah i agree with this although I think with a good run of games alongside a better centre half and covering midfielder bates could be first team (not ideally though)

I don't think it was soley his fault however he did stand off and give too much time to the opposing player. Shouldn't have got unchallenged that far.

Yes,he did stand off, but any defender would in the same situation. If your the last defender and your 25 yards from goal you jockey and you don't dive in.

The damage was done by Wilson?? Defending like an idiot.

Yes,he did stand off, but any defender would in the same situation. If your the last defender and your 25 yards from goal you jockey and you don't dive in.

Yeah I agree it was predominantely Wilson's fault as he could have tackled while Fontaine jockeyed if he was in the correct position however he was in the correct position so Fontaine had to challenge, even if he fouled.

I'm sorry but Fontaines performances go deeper than just the Millwall game, hes be easily our worst player all season, he hasn't really got a leg to stand on.

I'm sorry but Fontaines performances go deeper than just the Millwall game, hes be easily our worst player all season, he hasn't really got a leg to stand on.

It's that one particular incident we were talking about though.

I agree he's not exactly been performing! but sometimes when I read this forum it seems people want to blame him for everything.

The problem in the first half was the formation (and Fonts was all over the shop). Wilson couldn't dive in as he had no cover. He was playing right wing back, and ended up right side centre back as i think Bates misses the tackle (by diving in) just before. We were terrible in the first half, but in Del's defense he made some changes when he realised it hadn't worked, and we dominated the second half. Just one more mistake let us down. Baldock had a great chance just before their second. That goes in, its a different story.

Del obviously didnt want to change a winning team, which is fair enough, but he should of seen Millwall were on an awful run, half full stadium and they'd lost their best player. They were there for the taking.

I'm keeping faith with Del. He might take us down, but if does i'm pretty sure whoever else would be in charge would take us down as well. This is the most competitive championship in years, and it might take 5 years till we can realistically maintain a good position in this division, especially with the bigger money for being in the prem. If he goes, we pay money to get rid of him and all his staff. We pay more money to another manager with no guarntee of it getting better, and he brings in his own over payed players. WE need to sort the youth team out, sort the scouting out and get the debt down, which the board and Del realise, so i'm backing him. At least until we end up bottom of league one....

I'm sorry folks, I wasn't gonna bother, but I want to put some things straight here, so sorry for the length of this post but it needs saying!

Mark Wilson was not at fault for Millwall's 1st goal. I'm not sure what agenda some people are playing but his name is being associated with blame when it was not his fault in any sense. The opening poster has also commented how Wilson is worse than Nicky Hunt due to one piece of footage, which again, in reality, M Wilson is not to blame.

I want those slagging him off to take a look at the incidents again.

1) The Trotter shot. Wilson is playing in the RWB position. Millwall have a throw-in on their right flank (our left). Albert is over on the left flank when the throw is taken, and casually trots away from play with his back to the ball. Finally Albert switches on and realises he needs to get back to the right side again and assume his position. He gets there and almost wins the ball from Lowry (the full back). Albert's man (Lowry) passes forward to Henry, who is tracked by Wilson who forces him to play the ball back to Lowry. Lowry attempts to clear the ball but it hits Albert in the head and ricochets toward Stead. Stead is weak and beaten in the tackle by Beevers. The ball falls again to Lowry, who carries it with ease past Albert (who has decided to give up on the play due to the ball hitting his head). Meanwhile, Wilson had still been tracking Henry, but then leaves him to attempt to close down Lowry, who is now beyond Albert and bursting forward. Lowry then plays a simple ball forward to Trotter who has an acre of space on the left flank. Trotter moves directly infield toward goal, with Bates jockeying him back to the box, before he shoots. Meanwhile Wilson has continued to work his way back and is only a yard from Trotter when he shoots. In fact, Wilson's presence is what makes Trotter decide to shoot, as Bates is no longer isolated due to Wilson making the effort to get back.

So, in this particular instance, Wilson did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG and was actually showing a lot of effort to cover for Albert's no show and getting all the way back to help out his centre-half.

My conclusion here is that anyone who lays any blame on Wilson on this incident is 100% incorrect. If anything, Albert was initially out of position, lazy to get back into position and gave up on the play when struck in the face (either go down and feign a head injury, or stay up and battle - don't just stand there and let players waltz past you!) It also appears as though Danns is the one who should be tracking Trotter's initial movement once Henry has moved into Wilson's zone.

2) Millwall's 1st goal. Wilson is again in the RWB position. The long clearance comes from the keeper and McManus goes to challenge with Henderson. McManus (supposedly our first-ball defender) is easily beaten in the air by Henderson. N'Guessen meanwhile has found himself a position 8 yards beyond his strike partner, anticipating the flick on. Fontaine is nowhere near N'Guessen, not anticipating the flick on. He should be touch tight at this point and preparing for any flick on, ready to challenge his opponent once it happens. So, Fonts bambies around 5 yards away from the striker. Once the header is made, Bates realises the danger and attempts to close N'Guessen down (should have been Fonts job), but is a fraction late. N'Guessen steps past him and bears down on goal. Fonts is now the first line of defence and should jockey him, which he does momentarily. What he should now realise is that he is the furthest defender across, and he has Bates inside him. Therefore, the best place to show N'Guessen is inside, back into where we have additional defenders who can close him down. But no Fonts leaves the outside wide open for a little shimmy, a step and then a shot. Meanwhile, M Wilson has tracked back from his RWB position and nearly makes it back in time to make a challenge.

So, again I do not see how Wilson can bear any responsibility for this goal. He was is his assigned position, the player who scored had tracked unmarked from the opposite flank, and it was Wilson who actually came closest to making a challenge.

My conclusion here is that McManus was weak in the air, Fonts should have been tight to his man, anticipating the flick on, and once the last line of defence he should have jockeyed his man inside to where he had covering defenders.

For the record, their 2nd goal was another misjudgement in the air by McManus, who should be the main man, attacking the ball in the box. Once the ball comes back out to Smith, he is in acres. Why? Because for the umpteenth time this season our midfield have not tracked a runner - this time Danns let him ghost past him after the free kick was taken, and Danns hasn't moved once the ball hits the net (and you can tell from his reaction that he knows it too!!)

So - before we go blaming individuals, lets just make sure we watch the whole play develop before making wild accusations.

Hopefully I've done enough to clear Mr Wilson's name here. However, I'm sure people have already made their minds up!!

The game was lost in the first half really. I just could not believe the lack of anything. No get up and go in any of them. It was bizarre, like the whole team couldn't be arsed. Heaton really kept us in it and to go in half time only 1 down was credit to his outstanding saves

Then the sub changes and it was a different team, could easily have taken all the points if the chances were taken. We really did look alright. Millwall looked as poor as us second half as we were in the first. I'm absolutely convinced it is a motivation problem from the start

I have to say the regular defender witch-hunts following every away defeat and based on the briefest of highlights are becoming rather tedious.

As I have repeatedly pointed out, but for defensive mistakes there would be very few goals and almost nothing to be gained from being the better team.

In the first half on Tuesday we were perhaps more comprehensively outplayed than at any time in this miserable season - three, four or even five might have better reflected the balance of attack and defence in a half when we rarely if ever had control of the ball in the opponent's half. If you surrender 80% of possession your defence will be pretty busy and inevitably mistakes will sooner or later be made. Add to that a £1.5M/year ex-international captain at centre-half who was bullied off the ball at every challenge and goals will be conceded.

As so many times before we lost a game in which we were (in the first half at least) second-best in every department - results will improve only when we can regularly match the opposition - trying another dozen unwanted (by others) centre-halves will not solve our problems.

For the record - McManus (although he looks no better than emergency cover) is available to us because Strachan gave him a rediculous contract at Boro and Mowbray hates him - even in today's crazy world useless defenders do not earn £29K per week. Bates is available to us because Mowbray doubts his fitness and not because he is useless (although again he may be).

If, after all this time anyone believes we can sign players proven to be better than McManus and Bates from more successful clubs than Middlesborough without offering rediculous wages then please explain how.

In the meantime, may I controversially suggest that our players deserve some credit for winning eleven points from the last ten games when every week (it seems) the team sheet reads like the manager's suicide note and the manager's best efforts to build confidence and team spirit seem to involve ritual public humiliation.

"In the meantime, may I controversially suggest that our players deserve some credit for winning eleven points from the last ten games when every week (it seems) the team sheet reads like the manager's suicide note and the manager's best efforts to build confidence and team spirit seem to involve ritual public humiliation."

As a forum reader I feel there is beginning to be a little more sympathy shown to the players who from match to match don't know who is playing or in what formation.

Archived