IGNORED

Pitman Permanent Deal

BCFC Taunton

Sorry he didn't. He moved when he thought there might be a chance. Other than that his lack of decent movement meant he was of little use when we were struggling. He is at the right level in a side that is probably set up to give him the service he needs. He was never good enough to have a poor City team set up for his benefit. He sulked a lot as well which really p***ed me off. Typical self centered forward. I'd compare him unfavorably with Baldock who gives me the impression of being the sort of player who keeps a good attitude even when things aren't going his way or he isn't starting.

Goalscorers aren't supposed to be running channels and dropping deep. If you want someone on the end of balls into the box and through balls, they need to be making only the runs that put them on the end of goalscoring chances. If you find a player that can score 20 a season and run the channels and work hard, they're going to end up in the Prem. Pitman's movement was exactly what a striker's should be, which is why he scored plenty despite not being quick.

As for the whole attitude thing - reading an awful lot into body language there really. I'd say I'd expect any player like Pitman to have been massively frustrated with being played the way he was here.

Don't have the midfield to play 2 up top, haven't done for a few years. Unless we go 352/532. We NEED 3 central midfielders with our current personnel.

Agree, he wasn't bad. Wasn't he our top scorer the other year? Read we got £60k for him...many tweets suggest as such, ******* bad business if true.

Not sure I really agree, we managed to get to the playoff final with two from Elliott, Skuse and Johnson playing with two up top more than half the time - weaker strikers too. We aren't any worse off now in midfield if not much improved. Our problem defensively isn't a weak midfield, it's a constantly changing back four of poor ability and nobody actually leading them.

Goalscorers aren't supposed to be running channels and dropping deep. If you want someone on the end of balls into the box and through balls, they need to be making only the runs that put them on the end of goalscoring chances. If you find a player that can score 20 a season and run the channels and work hard, they're going to end up in the Prem. Pitman's movement was exactly what a striker's should be, which is why he scored plenty despite not being quick.

As for the whole attitude thing - reading an awful lot into body language there really. I'd say I'd expect any player like Pitman to have been massively frustrated with being played the way he was here.

Not sure I really agree, we managed to get to the playoff final with two from Elliott, Skuse and Johnson playing with two up top more than half the time - weaker strikers too. We aren't any worse off now in midfield if not much improved.

Dunno tbh. Yeah we had weaker strikers though Trundle was capable of magic moments as he proved. Much improved? Dunno, Elliott is not the player he was, Noble was comfortable in midfield on the ball, thought we had a replacement in Hartley but he was coming to the end of his career- but had he not been he could have been the replacement. We still have Elliott and Skuse, Cisse though not creative also had a bit more comfort in possession yet this is now gone- positional discipline. Just think given clubs at this level increasinly are playing 3 in the centre that 3 in the centre is necessary with our personnel. We played it v Peterborough though the redcard made that one lopsided. That aside, Pitman I thought was decent yeah good movement indeed, but perhaps a luxury given we seem to be in a never ending scrap v the drop.

Where are people getting the 60k info from?

Far more likely we didn't fully pay the initial transfer fee so have waived the rest of it

Bournemouth Echo confirmed it when he joined on loan that it would be the fee

Terrible Decision to let him go, face didn't fit, manager wanted him to chase back and win tackles, but that's not his game, give him the ball in the box and he was the most natural finisher at the club.

Disappointed

Given away a player like this -

The guy could put the ball in the net. Something Stead cannot do! Just because he's got a bit of an attitude he's apparently ' not good enough '

Brett will play at a higher level, it could be as soon as next season. I have no doubt about that

I love this comment, given that Stead scored our last goal!

I will be absolutely amazed if Pitman ever plays in the Prem. I have never seen such an unathletic footballer, and he looked quite ridiculous when he came on as substitute earlier this season. He had no poise, no stamina and rarely contributed anything except the occasional goal - many scored as a substitute against tiring defences. What did he contribute in matches he started? Almost nothing.

I really wanted him to do well for us, but it didn't take long to realise that he really wasn't a Championship footballer. He had every chance to prove his worth, but consistently failed to do so.

Good luck Brett.

Always liked him, but for me, isn't as good as what we have at the club at the moment. I have no doubt in time he will do well, but he's hardly setting the world alight in league 1 at present.

Brett will go on to be a top player at league one level and possibly a decent championship career in the future. However, for some on here to say he will play in the premiership is way over the top. Clearly been hanging out with Bikey in cuckoo land!

Where are people getting the 60k info from?

Far more likely we didn't fully pay the initial transfer fee so have waived the rest of it

Given all the articles 'understand' that he's gone for a significant chunk of the fee we originally paid, I would take from that we got around 150-200K for him. Take into consideration he's off the wage bill too. Better he's gone in my opinion.

Why do you need pace to be at the top level? Just look what Cantona, Sherringham and Shearer achieved. The reason why he wasn't successful here is because we have a terrible midfield!

If he played for Cardiff, Palace or Hull, he would be scoring goals for fun.

Why has he gone to Bournemouth for a nominal fee if he's so good? Surely there would be a clamour for a player seeing as he isn't commanding a fee?

The Berbatov comparison is a very good one, he was a very classy finisher who seemed to thinking that running was illegal but I'd back him above anyone on our current staff (save maybe Davies) to score a last minute penalty if my life depended on it....

Rather expensive penalty taker. I'd back Davies, Baldock and even Stead to take a penalty. I'd back them to add more to the team than Pitman ever did too.

Such a waste, one player I truly believe we'll regret not using properly in a few years, but I've stated my reasons for that belief numerous times already on here. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he is playing Championship football whilst we are in League 1 next season.

Best of luck Brett, Davies and Baldock are seemingly heading in similar directions at the moment.

I agree with you, he's going to come back and bite us in the ass.

I'm presuming he's now banging them in for fun in league one now......................

Lets get a bit of realism,his one really good goal scoring season of his career so far was in League 2.

He's decent ( for a lower league striker)but reading some on here you would think we were talking about Van Persi.

20 goals in 33 league starts is a phenomenal record for someone who was never given a decent run in the side and it's unfair to include his sub appearances. He also took quite a few games to adjust to Championship football in his first season which makes the tally all the more impressive.

he big mistake was Mcinnes unfailingly playing a non-scoring, disinterested Maynard when Pitman should have been given a run. Pitman is a 20 goal a season player if given a full quota of games. Like many goal-scorers he'll never score highly in the blood, sweat and tears effort department and if he did he wouldn't ghost into goal-scoring positions. He links play intelligently though so there is more to his game than goal scoring.

I'd have liked to have seen Bolaisie give a chance as well because they combined well in the latter part of last season and both played a part in keeping us up but were 'rewarded' by being confined to being bit-part members of the squad. After Bolaisie's impact wonder goal it's no surprise he left and the spin on moving back to London can easily be translated into being hacked off at not being given a fair opportunity in the first 11.

If Pitman played with the likes of Adomah, Bolaisie, Stead or Taylor we would still be scoring goals and had an extra £1.5m in transfer funds plus scope for competitive wages to strengthen defence and central midfield.

20 goals in 33 league starts is a phenomenal record for someone who was never given a decent run in the side and it's unfair to include his sub appearances. He also took quite a few games to adjust to Championship football in his first season which makes the tally all the more impressive.

Just shows stats can be used to suit any agenda. You've taken away sub appearances but (and I don't claim to know the exact stat) you have still included goals scored in these sub appearances which from memory would be at least 3 of them. And this is what I don't understand about the 'didn't get a chance argument' as when he scored as a sub and was subsequently started he then failed to perform on a number of occasions. My opinion is he never produced consistently enough or put in the effort required to make it in the championship which is why he ended up back in league 1. Scorer of some good and important goals but won't be missed greatly imo. He may score against us one day but unless this is in the championship where he has established himself as a regular 15+ goalscorer, it wouldn't make me think we made a mistake letting him go.

It's not unfair to include his sub appearances as some of his goals came from sub appearances, last season for example most were from sub.. Ergo your figures become more misleading by including his goals scored from sub and ignoring the appearances when he scored them to 'fluff' up the figures

Just saying

This adds to my point well. Would like to know how many goals he scored in his 36 starts. Anyone got the stats?

The real point is, he is just another talented striker in a very long line of talented strikers over the years to sign for BCFC and then to be royally ****** by so called tactical geniuses with huge ego's, who try to change the players successful formula for scoring goals, try to turn goal scorers into team players or play them usually wide left or in one case just leave them on the bench after scoring 2 goals, for those putting the boot into Pitman, DMC is well on the way to turning 2 more hugely talented goal scorers into unhappy mainly worthless lower league strikers and so cycle continues and another wad of wasted money.

I've always been of the opinion that (in the long run*) minutes on the pitch per goal was a more rounded and unbiased measure... of course it's incredibly hard/long winded to compile!

* obviously it takes a little while for the stat to settle down - a hattrick on debut would look rather good for example :)

Playing in front of a decent midfield and defence I imagine him getting into double figures for a solid Championship side.

Infront of a decent defence and midfield for the standard the club is at, I'd expect any proffessional to make double figures

The guy could put the ball in the net. Something Stead cannot do! Just because he's got a bit of an attitude he's apparently ' not good enough '

Brett will play at a higher level, it could be as soon as next season. I have no doubt about that

I disagree with this comment, Stead can put the ball in the net, if he hadn't spent most of the season doing doggies for Pitman he would have scored more in that season when Pitman scored 17(?)

Why do you need pace to be at the top level? Just look what Cantona, Sherringham and Shearer achieved. The reason why he wasn't successful here is because we have a terrible midfield!

If he played for Cardiff, Palace or Hull, he would be scoring goals for fun.

Someone has already seen to this comment.

he big mistake was Mcinnes unfailingly playing a non-scoring, disinterested Maynard when Pitman should have been given a run. Pitman is a 20 goal a season player if given a full quota of games. Like many goal-scorers he'll never score highly in the blood, sweat and tears effort department and if he did he wouldn't ghost into goal-scoring positions. He links play intelligently though so there is more to his game than goal scoring.

I'd have liked to have seen Bolaisie give a chance as well because they combined well in the latter part of last season and both played a part in keeping us up but were 'rewarded' by being confined to being bit-part members of the squad. After Bolaisie's impact wonder goal it's no surprise he left and the spin on moving back to London can easily be translated into being hacked off at not being given a fair opportunity in the first 11.

If Pitman played with the likes of Adomah, Bolaisie, Stead or Taylor we would still be scoring goals and had an extra £1.5m in transfer funds plus scope for competitive wages to strengthen defence and central midfield.

Had I been a faster typer I would have also rubbished the first line of this as has been stated, you need to take away the goals he scored when coming on as a sub.

All in all, never been a great fan of Brett's, resisted slagging him off because he's made it as a pro - his goals outweigh his lack of strength, effort, speed, determination; to a point, that point is somewhere between league two and the championship. A luxury player for us at best.

The point made about midfielders, we need 3 because if you can find a player that is combative, creative and fit enough to keep with the pace and plays below the premiership, he will cost alot. In order to play 2 strikers, they both must work hard sometimes creating their own chances, Pitman was not capable of doing either, unfortunately for him.

Another name off the wage bill for me, nothing lost, nothing gained with the release of his wages

He is gone get over it.

But some idiotic comment here. His lack of pace is not an issue, just look at Shearer, Cantona and Sherringham. Now that is goes up there with the all time classics.

So Shearer, one of the best strikers of all time.Pittman was like Shearer as he had no pace and could "just score" . Well Shearer scored many goals with his head, running down a channel, or with dead balls. One of the hardest players to play against. Strong and impossible, never stopped working. Sounds just like Brett doesn't it. Brett had a shot on him, that was it. Nothing else. Shearer set standards, high work effort and ethic, still sound like Brett ? How many times would you hear that about Brett ? Competitive, hard, a fighter. Still not Pittman is it. But Shearer "no pace" justifies Pittman standing around doing nothing, but he can "score". Total rubbish. He had pace in his youth, lost some when he had the big injury, but compensated for strength , tenacity , and ability.

Lets try Cantona as well shall we. One of the most technically gifted players ever to have played. Said to have raised the game of all of those around him when he arrived an Utd. Just like Brett hey, he raised the game of everyone with his soulless, insipid sulking displays. Getting the idea, it is not pace that you need or standing around. It is desire and drive. Sorely lacking in pace, and here he does sound like Brett, tackled little from recollection, god Brett really is a Cantona in waiting. So why was Cantona one of Fergies greatest signings and Brett set for a life at the seaside when both lack pace and tackling. Well there is a small matter of technical ability and .. wait for it application. He demanded extra training, had a swagger, style and confidence. he inspired others.

Or Teddy Sherringham, that lack of pace forward , just like Brett all he could do was score goals. Well yes, but he had great arial presence, and was dangerous at crosses, again had strength and tenacity, could pass and shoot with both feet, had timing and presence. Just like Brett. that he played in the Prem until well into his late 30's says it all.

Brett has some attributes, and blistering pace is not everything, but you need something more than standing around waiting for the ball to arrive. Great players without exceptional pace have other attributes, like exceptional footballing skill, timing, heading ability, physical presence, but above all, the 3 players above had tenacity, desire, aggression.

Brett could compensate for lack of pace by adding other aspects to his game, he did not, and will not, and will remain limited as a forward and in his career. To continue to just look at pace as his issue is also incorrect as I say, there are a multitude of attributes that can compensate for lack of pace and are required at the highest level, but Brett does not have any apart from finishing, and finishing alone, just as having blistering pace, is not enough to become a quality player at the highest level.

Stick the fork in will you...

Just noticed he's got 3 in 6 games since going back to Bournemouth. Cant ask any more than that.

Actually 3 in 7, 1 pen, 1 free kick so only one from open play.

As for baldock and stead, both need to score more regularly particularly stead but that is a different issue. I have no doubts that Pitman would have fared little better.

Archived