IGNORED

Matthew Bates - Thoughts?

!james

Deal with us is coming to an end soon, what are peoples opinions on him?

He hasnt been a stand out performer and has admitted himself he is only 80% fit at the moment, he had a fantastic season for Middlesborough last season until March when he suffered his fifth cruciate knee ligament injury. I think the potential is there for him to be a good player for us but will he ever fully recover again?

He was linked to a £2 million move to Swansea at the end of 2011, and linked to both Newcastle and Sunderland at the start of 2012 before his latest injury, is a talented player on his day but needs to get fit and stay fit.

I would like to see us give him a deal til the end of the season and assess this again during the summer with a pre season under him.

Well we have taken whats available - I created a thread detailing the fact we have an entire defence based on short term loans - and those players are not exactly the best themselves.... i.e. defensively the club is screwed - and we need to get the cheque book open and get our own quality players here and not rely on a plethora of so-so loanees http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/151490-just-read-todays-interview-with-mccinnes/#entry1698396

There's a decent defender in there somewhere, but I agree with those who say we haven't seen that man. Whether we ever see the finished product under the malign McInnes/Docherty influence is a moot point.

Whether we renew on him depends a bit on who - if anyone - we bring in. As it stands, he's our third best CB behind Carey and McManus.

Have to say I'm surprised by the opinions in this thread. I've been happy with Bates in defence, he's been solid without doing anything that really stands out, or making any mistakes. He's clearly got potential with Middlesbrough fans rating him highly and previous interest from the likes of Swansea etc according to Sky, the reason he hasn't been amazing is firstly because of his past injury record and the fact that he's still recovering from his last injury fitness-wise and secondly the state of the team he's been playing in. I'd be content with McManus and Bates at CB for the rest of the season, they're definitely an improvement on our other options at CB.

It's the midfield and RB spot that needs strengthening in my opinion.

Have to say I'm surprised by the opinions in this thread. I've been happy with Bates in defence, he's been solid without doing anything that really stands out, or making any mistakes. He's clearly got potential with Middlesbrough fans rating him highly and previous interest from the likes of Swansea etc according to Sky, the reason he hasn't been amazing is firstly because of his past injury record and the fact that he's still recovering from his last injury fitness-wise and secondly the state of the team he's been playing in. I'd be content with McManus and Bates at CB for the rest of the season, they're definitely an improvement on our other options at CB.

It's the midfield and RB spot that needs strengthening in my opinion.

at fault for 1st goal against Millwall.

This thread is pretty laughable.

Has he been great for us? NO. But all those people saying he is "too small for a defender" or "not good enough", this guy will go to a TOP Championship side or low Prem whether we want to keep him or not.

The guy has been crocked and is solely with us to get game time before moving onto bigger and better things, and considering all the injuries and being way of match fitness he has done OK....nothing more nothing less.

Fact is he will move on either in jan or in the summer, to a club a lot better than us.

Has he been great for us? NO. But all those people saying he is "too small for a defender" or "not good enough", this guy will go to a TOP Championship side or low Prem whether we want to keep him or not.

The guy has been crocked and is solely with us to get game time before moving onto bigger and better things, and considering all the injuries and being way of match fitness he has done OK....nothing more nothing less.

Fact is he will move on either in jan or in the summer, to a club a lot better than us.

No he won't.. just on the fact he'll get a huge injury around the corner.. and he's not good enough.

Ive seen nothing which suggests he should be in the prem or a team going for promotion in the championship. Run of the mill championship player if you ask me.

Fitness could be an issue but he could just be using that as an excuse. Time will tell. Knowing our track record of late he will probably end up in the prem and play very well

5 injuries to his cruciate knee ligaments. that's right 5.

absolutely no way to predict whether he'll either improve or even be able to get a run without injuries.

he's nothing special and add that to injury problems and he's destined for leagues one and two.

No better than Carey

Well, worse in fact, in that Carey does get upfield and try to organise people around him to defend set pieces - and he doesn't flinch from a tackle.

You can see that Bates is carrying an injury though. He looks terrified he will get hurt.

I'd rather someone else tbh. Defence is still the main issue for me and the likes of Bates, McManus being brought in haven't really been able to improve us, not notably anyway.

I'd be so happy if we went out and spent a little bit of money on a solid mid 20s defender from a lower league side who is hungry to impress and progress his own career. Names like Stewart, Hunt, McManus, Bates etc haven't helped us one bit. Experience isn't everything.

Any contemplation of a contract would have to include an injury clause. Harsh but as has been suggested elsewhere, his injury record is catastrophic and if we offer him 18 months and he does his cruciate ligament again, we are lumbered with a salary and back to square one re. cover in an already vulnerable defence.

Solid but not spectacular is how I'd sum his performances up. He's better than Tangs, Wilson and Fontaine (atm) and therefore, considering he's better than every other central defender at our club (Carey aside) I think we should keep him until the end of the season, at least - give him a chance to properly prove himself.

Ive seen nothing which suggests he should be in the prem or a team going for promotion in the championship. Run of the mill championship player if you ask me.

Fitness could be an issue but he could just be using that as an excuse. Time will tell. Knowing our track record of late he will probably end up in the prem and play very well

this mainly - he has not been fully fit, and his performances have suffered for it YET (let me add a few more yets in) yet, yet - he gets to play in our first team - which shows you just how poor our first team defence is when a player self confessed to be at about 80% of his game gets to be in out first team (and he's not even our player).

His best game for me was his debut at home to Blackpool.

I know he's been improving his fitness but since then he's looked to be no improvement on those we already have on the payroll who haven't been good enough.

I expect that his non involvement on Saturday was a sign that provided McInnes can get another one in (as well as McManus) that he'll leave us this month.

Archived