IGNORED

City Players Now And Then...

bucksred

I have been a regular at the Gate since Terry Coopers last season in charge, and I have been thinking over these last few days..

Have we really improved over those yers?

Think about it, in the early days since then, had had Super Bob, The Chief, The Goat & Sir Andy Cole. Since those four have we EVER had a decent striker?

Come to think of it even Leapy, Robbo, Lee Miller, Thorpey & Leroy were better than what we have had since. Maybe Davies & Baldock will prove better long term. apart from the first four, all of whom went on to greater things, few if any of ours ever have.

Over the years we have had the likes of Tinman, super Scott, Greg Goodrich, Mardon, Tistimaneu, Rennie, Harrison in midfield...

Shaun Taylor, Micky Bell, Brennan, Shail, in defence..

Waugh, Leaning in goal....

Tinman & Scotty are recent players, as is Bradley Orr...but take those three out and the vast majority of our players in modern times have been poor.

Even the likes of Robbo, Doc, Danny Coles (pissheads all) & Basso (Mr Ego trip himself) are better than what we currently have..

Where the hell did we go wrong? So many good players, and we now have the current underacheivers

Tinman, Scotty & Bradders were never replaced which doesnt help, and we never had another striker of the big fours quality since, let alone Taylor, Bell, Brennan or Shail..

If we can tap into the ability to find players like those few if any of which cost big bucks we will be ok.

By the way I wasnt a regular witness to the last team we had in the big time, so my recollection can doubtless be bettered by those who did: the likes of Cheese, Royle, Hunter, Merrick, Tainton, Gow etc

Edited by bucksred

Stretching it a bit with Gerry Harrison!

We do seem to be missing a few crowd favs, but then when most of the team are playing poorely its hard to endear yourself to any of them. No pressure on our new signing but he sounds like the type who could well be added to the names you mentioned.

Edited by Gazred

Welch

Orr Taylor Sebok Bell

Murray Tistimetanu Tinnion

Agostino

Cole Lita

Don't think I'd swap any of them for these:

Heaton

Foster Bates Fontaine Cunningham

Adomah Skuse Pearson

Anderson

Baldock Davies

Perhaps, just perhaps Baldock n Davies might acheive summat...Albert maybe, just maybe, but my point exactly..

Edited by bucksred

Welch

Orr Taylor Sebok Bell

Murray Tistimetanu Tinnion

Agostino

Cole Lita

Don't think I'd swap any of them for these:

Heaton

Foster Bates Fontaine Cunningham

Adomah Skuse Pearson

Anderson

Baldock Davies

Id swap Ago for Lita and put Jacki in the hole. Great looking team.

Starange you should post this, as only yesterday I was looking on You Tube at some

games from our time in the old first division. Not sure if its nostalga kicking in but we looked

so so much better than the bunch we have now, I actualy enjoyed watching it, shame I cant say

the same about this season, last season the one before etc etc.

Ahhhh, the rose-tinted nostalgia for players who - in many of the cases quoted - never played for us against second tier opposition....

Welsh:

Orr: Played in Premiership

Taylor: Played in Premiership

Sebok: Played in the German Bundesliga

Bell:

Murray: Played in Premiership

Testemitanu: Over 50 International Caps

Tinnion:

Agostino: Played in German Bundesliga

Cole: Played in Premiership

Lita: Played in Premiership

Even if you were to replace the three who didn't ever play at the top level with Heaton, Cunningham and Adomah I'd still settle for that over what we have overall at the moment.

Edited by Robin TBW

And I forgot some names Gavin, Matty Hill, Big Joe himself, the aforementioned Sebok and Ago, and Jacki!

One thing though, about all those players I mentioned, is that everyone of them could and would (not every game, I'll grant you) grab hold of the game by the scruff of the neck, and turn it. Carey is another, not a great, but in his heyday could do exactly that. characters and hungry players...summat drastically missig from this crew

The likes of Robbo, Leapy, Lee Miller, Leeeeeroy, Danny Coles, Doc werent leaders but by Christ did they turn games for us..Most of the rest were leaders, and would impose themselves....the current crew couldnt do it

roe tinted it might be Red Robbo, but those players would all contrbute more than the vast majority of the players we have had in the last 10 years...aint very many of Timan, GJ's, Coppell's, Millen & McInnes (so far) will be remembered so fondly...

Welsh:

Orr: Played in the Premiership

Taylor: Played in the Premiership

Sebok: Played in the German Bundesliga

Bell:

Murray: Played in the Premiership

Testemitanu: Over 50 International Caps

Tinnion:

Agostino: Played in German Bundesliga

Cole: Played in Premiership

Lita: Played in Premiership

Even if you were to replace the three who didn't ever play at the top level with Heaton, Cunningham and Adomah I'd still settle for that over what we have overall at the moment.

Some great players there defintely Robin, although I did say played for us at a third tier level.

TBH I was more reacting against assertions that, for example, Lee Miller is superior to Sam Baldock. :huh:

On a general point, one of the reasons we have posts along the lines of "it's never been worse here" is because of the nostalgia effect. We all get it. I always remembered the Goodies as hillarious, but when I rewatched a 70s episode recently I realised it was actually utter tripe.

And so it is with football. I suspect if tinternet had been commonplace in times past, we could scroll back to threads posted in the Tinnion or Pulis or Osman eras saying "it's never been worse here".

I have been a regular at the Gate since Terry Coopers last season in charge, and I have been thinking over these last few days..Have we really improved over those yers?Think about it, in the early days since then, had had Super Bob, The Chief, The Goat & Sir Andy Cole. Since those four have we EVER had a decent striker?Come to think of it even Leapy, Robbo, Lee Miller, Thorpey & Leroy were better than what we have had since. Maybe Davies & Baldock will prove better long term. apart from the first four, all of whom went on to greater things, few if any of ours ever have.Over the years we have had the likes of Tinman, super Scott, Greg Goodrich, Mardon, Tistimaneu, Rennie, Harrison in midfield...Shaun Taylor, Micky Bell, Brennan, Shail, in defence..Waugh, Leaning in goal....Tinman & Scotty are recent players, as is Bradley Orr...but take those three out and the vast majority of our players in modern times have been poor.Even the likes of Robbo, Doc, Danny Coles (pissheads all) & Basso (Mr Ego trip himself) are better than what we currently have..Where the hell did we go wrong? So many good players, and we now have the current underacheiversTinman, Scotty & Bradders were never replaced which doesnt help, and we never had another striker of the big fours quality since, let alone Taylor, Bell, Brennan or Shail..If we can tap into the ability to find players like those few if any of which cost big bucks we will be ok.By the way I wasnt a regular witness to the last team we had in the big time, so my recollection can doubtless be bettered by those who did: the likes of Cheese, Royle, Hunter, Merrick, Tainton, Gow etc
Martin Scott was my favourite city left back. Better than Bell and Brennan imo

Some great players there defintely Robin, although I did say played for us at a third tier level.

TBH I was more reacting against assertions that, for example, Lee Miller is superior to Sam Baldock. :huh:

On a general point, one of the reasons we have posts along the lines of "it's never been worse here" is because of the nostalgia effect. We all get it. I always remembered the Goodies as hillarious, but when I rewatched a 70s episode recently I realised it was actually utter tripe.

And so it is with football. I suspect if tinternet had been commonplace in times past, we could scroll back to threads posted in the Tinnion or Pulis or Osman eras saying "it's never been worse here".

I wasnt saying Lee Miller, or the other Wonderson era strikers were better than Baldock, but when needed they could n would get goals...currently it doesnt seem that way. bear in mind some of Wondersons choices were as eccentric as Del boys...

The ones I said WERE better were the big four strikers, Bob, Wayne, Shaun & Andy, THEY are clearly better. Perhaps as I said Sam Baldock will indeed be greater.

I wasnt saying Lee Miller, or the other Wonderson era strikers were better than Baldock, but when needed they could n would get goals...currently it doesnt seem that way. bear in mind some of Wondersons choices were as eccentric as Del boys...

The ones I said WERE better were the big four strikers, Bob, Wayne, Shaun & Andy, THEY are clearly better. Perhaps as I said Sam Baldock will indeed be greater.

Fair enough, but it has to be said Miller only got 8 goals in 42 games for us and I was bloody glad when he left. Baldock has 9 in 20 games and could indeed join your legendary line-up if he's here long enough.

I'm not defending the current administration or the stuff we've had to endure this season, but I'm sure we both can remember other times following this club when we felt like banging our heads against the wall in despair at some of the things we've seen.

Maybe it just doesn't seem so bad because we were younger then - and paying less to watch football!

Ahhhh, the rose-tinted nostalgia for players who - in many of the cases quoted - never played for us against second tier opposition....

Rose-tinted glasses exactly!

I can remember watching City in the early 1960s and there were some good players. However until promotion to division 2 (now the Championship) in 1965 they were playing against level 3 opposition. The only player of that era who could unquestionably be regarded as better than anyone we’ve got now is John Atyeo, though I wouldn’t mind having Jack Connor as our current centre half.

IMO most of the players in the Alan Dicks time at the club were better than many we have now as they played in 2 (now the Championship) from 1967 until promotion to division 1. In 1979 City finished 13th in division 1.

Since then it’s been a mixture of all 4 divisions, mainly the bottom 2 so it’s virtually impossible to make comparisons. That said, TEAM SPIRIT and effort seemed to be a lot better in previous years

Yeh, £2 or £3 through the Juv turnstile to watch the likes of Newman, Walsh, Taylor etc. Feel spoilt now!

isn't that about £11 in todays money?

People only really remember the good times you don't get people banging on about the game on a tuesday night against Colechester when Lua Lua ripped us a new one and only 7777 turned up even though we were in the play-off postions, or the drab 0-0 draw agains bournmouth (a div 4 club then) that went to pens and mark stean blazed over the atyeo stand but a game we should of lost,

or the 800 0-0 draws with bury,

In 20 years time some of our current crop will be remember fondly and this season will not be mentioned much

Yeh, £2 or £3 through the Juv turnstile to watch the likes of Newman, Walsh, Taylor etc. Feel spoilt now! .

Doubt it was even that much.

I've still got my Chelsea F.A. Cup ticket from 1990.

£4 for an adult in the Enclosure and I'm pretty sure they increased the usual price for the match.

Blimey that does surprise me. Perhaps there was an offer on.

I do clearly remember my Dad chucking me a few quid and pointing me at the turnstiles. That would of been about 85-86 season when I first went regularly.

I'd be surprised if it was that much as well. When I first started going with mates from school , about 81/82 I can remember paying 70p to get in the East End !!

Edit - actually it may have been £1.70 , can anyone else remember ?

Edited by glynriley

I'd be surprised if it was that much as well. When I first started going with mates from school , about 81/82 I can remember paying 70p to get in the East End !!

Edit - actually it may have been £1.70 , can anyone else remember ?

Pretty sure the EE juvenile price was 40p in '76 for the first season in the old First Division.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad

I have been a regular at the Gate since Terry Coopers last season in charge, and I have been thinking over these last few days..

Have we really improved over those yers?

Think about it, in the early days since then, had had Super Bob, The Chief, The Goat & Sir Andy Cole. Since those four have we EVER had a decent striker?

Come to think of it even Leapy, Robbo, Lee Miller, Thorpey & Leroy were better than what we have had since. Maybe Davies & Baldock will prove better long term. apart from the first four, all of whom went on to greater things, few if any of ours ever have.

Over the years we have had the likes of Tinman, super Scott, Greg Goodrich, Mardon, Tistimaneu, Rennie, Harrison in midfield...

Shaun Taylor, Micky Bell, Brennan, Shail, in defence..

Waugh, Leaning in goal....

Tinman & Scotty are recent players, as is Bradley Orr...but take those three out and the vast majority of our players in modern times have been poor.

Even the likes of Robbo, Doc, Danny Coles (pissheads all) & Basso (Mr Ego trip himself) are better than what we currently have..

Where the hell did we go wrong? So many good players, and we now have the current underacheivers

Tinman, Scotty & Bradders were never replaced which doesnt help, and we never had another striker of the big fours quality since, let alone Taylor, Bell, Brennan or Shail..

If we can tap into the ability to find players like those few if any of which cost big bucks we will be ok.

By the way I wasnt a regular witness to the last team we had in the big time, so my recollection can doubtless be bettered by those who did: the likes of Cheese, Royle, Hunter, Merrick, Tainton, Gow etc

......and the fans still bloody moaned!