IGNORED

Staying Up - Can It Be Done?

Always Believesham

Personally, I'm all but resigned to it but can relegation be fought off?

It's still in our (very slippery) hands. Those 30 points needed for the illusive 50 point marker are a tough ask for a manager of any calibre.

SoD is known for, like Coppell, taking one game at a time. However, targets are neccessary to acheive safety as I doubt we can go on a 10 game win streak! Looking at 20 games with a target is too far and if we don't achieve it, we're down, shorter term targets will give the opportunity to salvage the situation the next period.

We're on 22; I've looked at the fixtures, and the months and reckon January 4(26), February 8(34), March 5(39), April 8(47), May 3(50) would keep us up. Just.

Can it be done? Yes.

Wil it be done? If we close out eyes and think happy thoughts it might just happen

Anybody else got any theories?

Yes it is achievable, but it would be more of a feat than any other escape we have manifested.. My attitude is that i want the club to survive in this league and hope we do everything we can to achieve it BUT i have already elected for some self counseling to ease relegation blues.

We need to win 2 more games than Wednesday, Barnsley and Peterborough, and that's without anyone else getting sucked in! Who knows how many games they will lose, simple fact is if we can string a few wins together, with what I believe is a strong squad and a manager who can get the best out of them, we can start bridging the gap to the clubs above Wednesday. We have to believe we can do this or we all may as well not bother supporting the club!

if he replaces the whole of the defence excluding greg and sorts out the midfield by bringing in some real quality in the next two and a half weeks and they gel straight away we might stay up but we cant do it with what we got attacking no probs but everything behind them is poor and have proved this from the start of the season i just feel the damage has already been done im sorry to be so negetive but the current crop has shown nothing to make me feel anything other than negetive.

Just a someone always seems to make a surprise last minute push for the play-offs, there is also usually someone who drops into the brown stuff in the latter stages. Birmingham and Huddersfield are both having satisfying little plummets at the moment. Huddersfield haven't won since 10th November.

In the last eight years, 50+ points for survival was only needed twice. My definition for minimum needed is level on points, one better GD (yes I know goals scored could do it).

2007/8 Leicester relegated with 52 points, -3 GD

2004/5 Gillingham down with 50 points -21GD. That season proves the point above, as Crewe stayed up with 50 points, -20 GD

So for six years in the last eight, you could have got LESS than the "mystical 50 points" and still survived. For one (or two depending on GD), 50 points wouldn't have been enough. That 6:2 split is the same for 49 points. 48 points and a decent GD would still have been enough to keep a team up in six seasons.

We have 22 points and a game in hand - useless unless we get points from it, but the GiH still represents a greater opportunity to gain points than the other teams around us. To get to 48 points (as in - would see us stay up more often than not in recent times) needs 1.3 points per match, or something like W7,D5,L8 or W6,D8,L6. Those are NOT unachieveable, especially with the "new manager effect" and if we actually get behind the team. They might not be enough - but then getting 47 or even 46 points might still do it. We won't know for sure until May

Ultimately the above is statistices and chance - how the rest of the season turns out is pretty much down to whether SoD can get the bulk of the existing squad plus a couple of additions to play like they care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other years' points/GD for the last relegated team were

11/12 48 points, -8 GD (ignoring the Portsmouth points deduction)

10/11 42, -25

09/10 47, -20

08/09 46, -13

07/08 52,-3 (as above)

06/07 42, -33

05/06 42, -29

04/05 50, -21 (as above)

I've always felt we're only 2 or 3 players away from being quite competetive and the problem was more organisation/tactics/selection than personel available. Making the assumption that Kelly is one of the missing players and MacFadzean is another, we could only be one player off a good side presuming SOD gets us organised. Given that we're only 6 points off safety with a game in hand our season is eminently saveable. I just don't feel we'll get our act together quite quickly enough to make it

Much depends on who SoD can bring in to improve the defense. McManus, who frankly has been a huge disappointment will hopefully go back to Boro. Bates's future at City is unclear.Fontaine needs to find some form and quickly. Foster is not a good enough player for the Championship. Carey is past it. Only Cunningham stands out as a useful defender.

Unless SoD can sort out the defense City have had it. If City could keep a clean sheet scoring goals has not been a real problem.

Position themselves between the headlights, keep their head down, and hope it's not a Reliant Robin!

So from an evolution perspective, hedgehogs that position themselves 1/3 or 2/3 across will eventually take over?

Not if the steam rollers have their way!

You guys may mock, but hedgehogs have been around for 55 million years. Steam-rollers were invented in the 1860's and they're already obsolete

And would you risk hitting a hedgehog in a Reliant Robin?.

I reckon these fixtures will determine whether we survive

Ipswich (h)

Barnsley (h)

Wolves (a)

Wendys(h)

Brum(h)

Hudds(h)

I think we have to win 5 of these games to have a chance of survival. With 5 at home you would think it would be doable but not so sure this season.

Archived