IGNORED

Sean O'driscoll Fear Or Relieved?

HarryCardno

So then Sean O'Driscoll is the man that will take over as Head Coach at Bristol City.

Do we fear relegation or relish a scrap again?

Before I saw the BBC interview I feared for the worse, having seen it I relish the scrap.

I always considered Sean O'Driscoll as a very bad manager so when Nottingham Forest appointed him I was surprised.

However, with the positive results he produced there and the viewing of the interview on the BBC Sport page my opinion's have changed. He seems like something and someone we have never had before in charge at Ashton Gate in recent times. He comes across like he is a man on a mission and will take no nonsense of the player's which is key with the big ego's we have in our team. He seems a very expectant and motivational manager almost without meaning to be.

I really am hopeful we will start seeing some positives out on the pitch very soon, however this one is defanitely a long term plan and I don't think it is a risk. At Doncaster he had very little resources so not really much of a chance, at Forest he had a lot more resources however new owners wanted Alex Mcleish... Why? who knows... I think at City he will be a success as I believe we are inbetween and as he states in his interview its about doing the basics correctly I.E defending.

The only danger is he is on a 12 month rolling contract which may lead to another Coppell saga. I hope not.

Harry Cardno

Think SOD will be a success long term but I don't think any manager can save us with the wasters we have in the squad.

SOD isn't going to suddenly inspire Fontaine/Foster/McManus/James Wilson/Skuse into not making mistakes.

I hope I am wrong though.

BCAGFC

Think SOD will be a success long term but I don't think any manager can save us with the wasters we have in the squad.

SOD isn't going to suddenly inspire Fontaine/Foster/McManus/James Wilson/Skuse into not making mistakes.

I hope I am wrong though.

BCAGFC

There's 20 games to go and 60 points to play for. Remember the 64-65 run-in? P 13 W 11 D 1 L 1

ALWAYS BELIEVE!!!

Changing managers is always a gamble as we saw when Millen was sacked and McInnes took over and things got worse. The same applies with O'Driscoll. We all hope that he'll turn out to be a success but he may not and that's the advantage of having a rolling contract.

The advantage that our new coach has is that he knows the Championship well and has far more managerial experience than all of our most recent managers. His first day interviews were very different to any I've heard from a new manager.

I doubt very much that he'll be able to keep City up but the consolation is that he's well qualified to bring City straight back up.

It's going to be tough and we haven't miraculously solved all of our problems by simply replacing McInnes with O'Driscoll, but I'm certainly more hopeful of our chances right now than I was on the way home from Saturday's game.

As many other people have also aluded to even if O'Driscoll is unable to keep us up this season, I am confident that he will do many good things that help this club no end in the long run.

It's going to be tough and we haven't miraculously solved all of our problems by simply replacing McInnes with O'Driscoll, but I'm certainly more hopeful of our chances right now than I was on the way home from Saturday's game.

As many other people have also aluded to even if O'Driscoll is unable to keep us up this season, I am confident that he will do many good things that help this club no end in the long run.

Agreed.

Changing managers is always a gamble as we saw when Millen was sacked and McInnes took over and things got worse. The same applies with O'Driscoll. We all hope that he'll turn out to be a success but he may not and that's the advantage of having a rolling contract.

The advantage that our new coach has is that he knows the Championship well and has far more managerial experience than all of our most recent managers. His first day interviews were very different to any I've heard from a new manager.

I doubt very much that he'll be able to keep City up but the consolation is that he's well qualified to bring City straight back up.

How?

Did I miss us finishing last season on 5 points?

Yes, another example is when we sacked Gary Johnson and we signed Coppell....things got worse under him......and just when we thought things couldn't any more worse....we signed Millen.

Hopefully Sod will get us back to being competitive at this level of football......like we were under Gary's early reign! :bored:

I think our chances of avoiding relegation have improved with this appointment - just not sure that what SOD has to work with is good enough (even with a couple of additions)

Indeed. The bookies had us as a 80% chance of being relegated. They have now reduced this to 75% chance!

Have just read JL comments on OS.....

The fact that he & SOD discussed briefly on phone Saturday night then SOD came down Sunday morning for a 4hr discussion then SOD decided during his drive home that he wanted to give this a go so called JL back to accept the job plus SOD's own comments about "gut feeling" and "knowing when something fits" has made me feel a lot better....long run wise anyhow

As for short term and avoiding relegation.........it will be a tall order...but we only have to better three other teams who are all as dire as us really so not going to give up just yet..........lets start with clean sheet at Leeds and be happy for baby steps

I think another factor with O'Driscoll is he knows what to do, its whether we can actually achieve it in terms of surviving I believe DMC didn't really understand how to get out of this mess all he did was persistantly trying to sign supposedly better players yes DMC got unlucky with a few such as George Elokobi... Anyone know how hes doing?... but ultimately I believe its up to the squad we have available and O'Driscoll has underlined the fact in his interview with the BBC that there isn't a huge amount of difference in ability within our league in comparison to the Premier League and I've always said when we are confident and playing well we are very difficult to beat. We saw glimpses of this against Peterborough but better example's are against the likes of Newcastle a couple of years ago who we gave a run for their money and we also beat WBA in the same season, We also played similarly against Coventry and Barnsley at the end of last year and Cardiff and Crystal Palace at the start of the current campaign.

Anyone agree?

Speaking to a pal who is a season ticket holder at Donny rovers,he tells me SOD is a complexed tactioner and we will play great football but probably not the motivator to sort the trash we are stuck with out!Maybe having no expectations as fans anything positive will be a bonus............wait and see.Suddenly Helland road does seem such a daunting task!!!!!

I am happy with the appointment, shows the board have a bit of nouce to get someone in who will give us a better chance of staying up and of getting up if we go down. In his interviews he seems very realistic and doesnt give the speil and tell us what we want to hear like many previous managers. We will see but i have a good feeling about sod!

Archived