IGNORED

Mcinnes On Talk Sport

pride of the west

Chris Wood kept us in the league???!

Although he's clearly a good player, he looked dead ordinary here under our 'hoof it from distance at the back of his head' system, and I hardly think his 3 goals were decisive.

Other than that, a fairly decent and respectful (to us) interview. Derek was a likeable man, and I think he worked hard and tried hard, but was undone by his poor tactical decisions and lack of coaching nowse.

see Chip's post for further indication why your confusion is misplaced.

I read Chips post but still find hard to believe that Del had no suspicion that he could be for the chop especially after the defensive shambles and 0-4 hammering on Saturday.

He must have had his head in the sand if he genuinely had no idea.

But equally anyone who is managing a team bottom of the league can't be so confident that their job is not in jeopardy

I don't think the league table can really have much influence on how a man interprets the actions and words of his boss.

I'm sure Derek knew it wasn't going well, I'm sure he thought at many points he was lucky to have a patient board, I just don't agree that it is in anyway strange that he thought his job was safe at that point seeing as the board sanctioned a signing and Lansdown had publicly backed his man.

You need only look at this forum hours before his sacking. threads entitled 'he's going nowhere' etc, and then the immediate shock that he had been sacked also indicate that it isn't ridiculous, like RR claims, for Derek to have not thought he was in trouble at the point he was fired.

He was very unlucky in being unable to sign a centre half and then losing Cunningham for an extended period of time.

He never managed to put together a decent defence and once the goals dried up from the forwards we had nothing at all. He tried to combat it by making tactical changes but never found anything that worked and I don't think he was able to communicate his ideas to the players effectively. If a player doesn't do what the manager wants then he gets dropped but if he doesn't know what the manager wants he's got no chance. McInnes seemed to try every single combination he could think of but nothing worked. That's why he had to go.

If, on the other hand, we'd signed a decent centre half and not lost Cunningham, I don't think those failures would have been exposed and he'd have kept his job a while longer. Ultimately he needs to deal with them if he's to be a success, but he was unlucky to be so tested so early on.

Although I supported his appointment (once it became clear that Hoddle wouldnt be coming - ie about 10 seconds), I think the scale of the job, to turn this club into a competitive championship side and develop the next generation of players, was too much for him.

Time will tell whether SOD can whip the club into shape - no doubt, like DM, he will give it his best shot, and will get the backing of the board to the extent that they are able to give it.

It was a bit of a surprise when he said he no indication that he was about to lose his job. Had he forgotten the poor results and not looked at the Championship table?

I think it was that the board and fans seemed willing to give him a chance, the polls on here and the fans in the stadium all seemed to be giving him the benefit of the doubt (with our position and the way we played there were few rumblings about sacking him until the final couple of weeks). I guess this led the board/Him to think that maybe they had time, that the fans were signing upto the long term rebuilding - but 2 weeks of loosing, with dire performances changed a lot of fans views turned quickly - the board saw this too and acted - so I cannot really blame him for not seeing it coming - many on this board were also in the opinion he was here long term right upto the last, no matter the results.

If Derek thought his sacking was unexpected, then for him it was unexpected. Nothing to argue or disagree with. It is his perception of his own situation based on a close relationship and regular contact with the board, something no one on here has been pre vie too. Looking on from outside we may have an opinion on whether this was reasonable but that that still doesn't change the way Derek saw things.

Anyway, I wish him well. He has done some of the work behind the scenes to make SO'D's job a little easier, although there still a massive challenge to fix problems on the the pitch.

He was very unlucky in being unable to sign a centre half and then losing Cunningham for an extended period of time.

He never managed to put together a decent defence and once the goals dried up from the forwards we had nothing at all. He tried to combat it by making tactical changes but never found anything that worked and I don't think he was able to communicate his ideas to the players effectively. If a player doesn't do what the manager wants then he gets dropped but if he doesn't know what the manager wants he's got no chance. McInnes seemed to try every single combination he could think of but nothing worked. That's why he had to go.

If, on the other hand, we'd signed a decent centre half and not lost Cunningham, I don't think those failures would have been exposed and he'd have kept his job a while longer. Ultimately he needs to deal with them if he's to be a success, but he was unlucky to be so tested so early on.

Sensible post. Young manager, ended up in the deep end, some faults of his own, but also some bad luck and not a lot of joy in the transfer market in a key positions.

Im sure he will of learnt from it and take that experience onto his next job.

Just listened to the Interview in full. And my respect for the bloke has only gone up. Yep it didnt work out at City but i think Del boy has potential to be a solid manager. From what he was saying the job at CIty seems to be a big one and maybe to big for someone not that experiences like Del. But wish him all the best!

I just wish he would have kept up the attacking policy we started the season with instead of trying to protect a poor defence with the

4-5-1 and 5-3-2 formations. What's the worst that could have happened?

Certainly nothing worse than what did happen :(

I just wish he would have kept up the attacking policy we started the season with instead of trying to protect a poor defence with the

Agreed. Even the games against Blackburn, Leeds, Burnley and Bolton, we still looked a decent side apart from our appalling defence. Gradually Del opted to focus on the defence more and more, and at the same time, making our performances worse than ever.

After the unbeaten run towards the end of last season, the solid pre-season (for once!) and those games against Palace/Cardiff, I really though things were on the up. Dignified as ever in that interview and it's such a shame it didn't work out for Del here.

All the best in the future Derek, I genuinely believe you can go on to have a very good career in management. It was always going to be a very difficult job when you took over last season. In a similar manner to Keith who managed to stabilise us in the season Coppell left us in a mess, it was ultimately the failure to improve our defence in the summer that led to both of them losing their jobs.

What on earth does that have to do with indications from the board that his job was in jeopardy? He didn't say he felt the sacking was unjustified, merely that the impression he got (and so did we, many were resigned to him remaining at the club until next season) was that his job was fairly safe at the time.

I agree, I think the timing was ala Arry Redknapp, big defeat, crowd voicing their dissatisfaction and SOD possibly going to Blackpool, it was just circumstances.

The interview just goes to prove 2 things to me, firstly ala GJ, DMC was far to loyal to many of last seasons players and allied with his constant tinkering did for him in the end. The 2nd point is the cutting of the wage bill to me is a red herring because in the main it was just a handful of players on truly excessive wages and our wage structure only really fell to that of most teams in our division (excluding the the prem parachutists) and the good thing is now at least we should be signing players who want to come to play and not just for the money.

Exactly what did happen: we lost 5-3 to Blackburn, 3-2 to Leeds and 3-2 to Bolton. Confidence disappears, so do the goals and suddenly a 4-3 win becomes a 3-2 defeat, then a 3-0 defeat. The only way back is to stop shipping goals and McInnes couldn't do it.

Hope he finds a new job.. dundee one will be a good fit.

Not sure he would want the Dundee job, they are bigger relegation certs than us. Of course they were stitched up by only finding out they had won promotion at the last minute. He is an ex Dundee United player as well so not sure he'd be a popular appointment.

McInnes: "My target was to keep us up again but with half the wage budget." Fair point.

Speaking well so far. Still called us "we" at the start and is praising the support now.

Says the problem was not being able to get a defender in. Bringing in Bikey and Wood kept us up last season.

"If people look closely my record at Bristol City doesn't look quite as bad." I think he's got a point tbh. Said how the age of the squad is much younger and how things behind the scenes were improving.

Didn't sound bitter at all though.

He said he would like to manage in England again or back in Scotland. Really hope Del is able to be successful at the next job he gets.

It is amazing how such a very poor manager as McInnes can begin to justify such an abysmal performance in every area of management

Just listened to the Interview in full. And my respect for the bloke has only gone up. Yep it didnt work out at City but i think Del boy has potential to be a solid manager. From what he was saying the job at CIty seems to be a big one and maybe to big for someone not that experiences like Del. But wish him all the best!

And maybe with the appointment of O'Driscoll, it appears the board have finally realised this too.

Archived