IGNORED

Dangers Of A Raised Level Of Expectation.

Jordan Tansley

Accusations leveled at our supporters over the years (particularly in the age of football forums) have included 'fickle', 'unrealistic' and other words to that effect, but now is the time for that to be proven wrong. We simply cannot expect miracles from S'OD.

Many managers do have a 'honeymoon period' at the start of their reign but if this does not happen with Sean I would hope that out fans will not panic, The thing I'm picking up from all of the interviews I have read of his is that he has a long term strategy for developing the playing side of a football club and it may take a while for many of the players in this group to adjust to that, let's be honest they've hardly proven themselves to be the best and most adaptable players in their time here...

The task of keeping us up is actually pretty difficult, and even though there is an understandable and praiseworthy level of optimism relegation, to me, seems like the more likely outcome. I'm still buying into the S'OD package if that does occur though. To quote the man 'it's about the process not the outcome'. That kind of long term thinking will, without a doubt in my mind, bring more positives to this club than scraping survival with a short-termist 'old school' manager that many wanted and will undoubtedly claim we should have gone for should Sean's first 6 months in the job not yield success.

I know we have a pessimistic fan base, pessimism caused by years of false dawns, broken promises and football jargon, but now is the time to come together behind a philosophy that could shape this club for decades. Now is the time to get behind Sean and the players in their attempts to bring a bit of change to this club, regardless of the results in the immediate short term.

COYR.

Good post, totally agree.

Give it our best shot and if we stay up then brilliant, if not, I am now confident that we have the right man in charge to steady the ship, build on what has already been put in place by McInnes and take the club forward in the right way for the longer term.

Everything I've read about O'Driscoll suggests that he will be following exactly the same process as McInnes was, hopefully with the difference of being rather better at picking, organising and motivating a side for Saturday afternoons.

It's not realistic to expect miracles, nor is it in any way certain we'll stay up, but I also think that McInnes' side is better than the league position suggests (it could hardly be worse!) and if O'Driscoll can make the players play to their potential things won't be so bad.

The question is why they weren't doing it for McInnes and whether or not they'll do it for O'Driscoll. If they won't then we'll have to be patient whilst he finds some who will.

Personally I don't have raised expectations at all and quite frankly never have in over 40 years of supporting City.

Too many false dawns, mismanagement of funds (1982) and what seems like a hundred years in the lower leagues have blunted any optimism I may have had.

I don't have any expectations of O'Driscoll. He comes with a good reputation but so have other managers in the past. If he keeps up all well and good but if City are relegated then its the Tin Pot Trophy for us next season. No matter which it is I'll turn up as I always have.

If City are ever to do a Fulham , Wigan or Stoke then we need a benefactor like Wheelan or dare I say it El Fayed. Maybe even a Russian oligarch.

Accusations leveled at our supporters over the years (particularly in the age of football forums) have included 'fickle', 'unrealistic' and other words to that effect, but now is the time for that to be proven wrong. We simply cannot expect miracles from S'OD.

Many managers do have a 'honeymoon period' at the start of their reign but if this does not happen with Sean I would hope that out fans will not panic, The thing I'm picking up from all of the interviews I have read of his is that he has a long term strategy for developing the playing side of a football club and it may take a while for many of the players in this group to adjust to that, let's be honest they've hardly proven themselves to be the best and most adaptable players in their time here...

The task of keeping us up is actually pretty difficult, and even though there is an understandable and praiseworthy level of optimism relegation, to me, seems like the more likely outcome. I'm still buying into the S'OD package if that does occur though. To quote the man 'it's about the process not the outcome'. That kind of long term thinking will, without a doubt in my mind, bring more positives to this club than scraping survival with a short-termist 'old school' manager that many wanted and will undoubtedly claim we should have gone for should Sean's first 6 months in the job not yield success.

I know we have a pessimistic fan base, pessimism caused by years of false dawns, broken promises and football jargon, but now is the time to come together behind a philosophy that could shape this club for decades. Now is the time to get behind Sean and the players in their attempts to bring a bit of change to this club, regardless of the results in the immediate short term.

COYR.

Very good post JT.

I really don't want us to be relegated, but if we do, under S O'D I have faith that we'll be competitive and be challenging for a return in a tighter, stronger form. Quite frankly, I was imagining us doing a Portsmouth under McInnes.

Oh Jordan.

From the sublime (this post) to the ridiculous (hitting the post should count as a goal).

Spot on.

We've been through this Mr Ford... ;)

We really need to remain realistic and see staying up as a bonus in my opinion, O'Driscoll is going to be making fundamental changes to every aspect of the playing side of things, it is unlikely that will happen quickly so patience is required.

Obviously it is imperative that signs of improvement are seen, but I think it will be difficult to judge SO'D for another 6-8 months.

Having unrealistic expectations is something I've warned about pretty much every season. Some people thought we'd push for promotion this time around. It's dangerous because when they're not met, support is hard to come by.

However, expecting this squad with a wage bill well into 8 figures to get six more points than the other worst three sides in the division over 20 games is not unrealistic. Relegation isn't acceptable and we should be fighting it with everything. Resigning yourself to it or accepting it in any way is just as bad as having unrealistic expectations at the other end of the spectrum.

Personally i think we will be better off going down. i think the financial implications arguement is a red herring as with relegation wecan stop paying these daft wages in the desperate hope of staying up.

gthen we can cutour cloth accordingly and sod will have time and space to build as i fear the fire fighting he will have to do every season in the championsip will make a long term vision unworkable.

Personally I don't have raised expectations at all and quite frankly never have in over 40 years of supporting City.

Too many false dawns, mismanagement of funds (1982) and what seems like a hundred years in the lower leagues have blunted any optimism I may have had.

I don't have any expectations of O'Driscoll. He comes with a good reputation but so have other managers in the past. If he keeps up all well and good but if City are relegated then its the Tin Pot Trophy for us next season. No matter which it is I'll turn up as I always have.

If City are ever to do a Fulham , Wigan or Stoke then we need a benefactor like Wheelan or dare I say it El Fayed. Maybe even a Russian oligarch.

How about President Assad of Syria? He could do with improving his image a bit...

As long as the players put in the effort & tackles, I'll be happy.

But I'm not holding my breath.............................................................................................................................................................

BCAGFC

I think the appointment of SOD will not change the fortune of our results. We still have the same playersm 9 out of 10 of these players are dog shit and SOD cannot change that. We have only still brought in 1 player this transfer window and we are in the 17th day of this window. Sorry to say unfortunately but even with SOD I think we are relegated already due to the immature, selfish, lazy ******* idiots who play the sport for this club and fans.

If we shouldn't have raised expectations following the appointment of SOD, why have we bothered changing managers?

Regardless of results, I fully expect to see an appreciable, and sustained, improvement in our patterns of play, competitiveness, player confidence and team selections. Sorry if that makes me fickle or deluded, but lets face it, we are starting from a pretty low base in all of those respects.

If we shouldn't have raised expectations following the appointment of SOD, why have we bothered changing managers?

Regardless of results, I fully expect to see an appreciable, and sustained, improvement in our patterns of play, competitiveness, player confidence and team selections. Sorry if that makes me fickle or deluded, but lets face it, we are starting from a pretty low base in all of those respects.

I think you've managed tk take offence where none was intended.

Because the initial expectation of McInnes wasn't that he would relegate the club.

McInnes wasn't sacked because we expected relegation and he was delivering it, it was because we expected survival and he wasn't.

Now we're in a much worse position it's not reasonable to expect O'Driscoll to achieve survival. It's reasonable to hope he can, though.

From what I have read on here and from people I have spoke to expectations have thankfully stayed fairly sensible since Monday.

I think everyone in their right mind knows that we have one hell of a job one to stay up this season, but unlike this time last week I am quietly confident that we have a manager in charge that can turn this club around and build a team we can be proud of again regardless of what division we are kicking off in in August.

Although having said that if we beat Leeds on Saturday I'm sure we will all be looking at the gap between us and sixth place...

No, no offence taken - nothing in your post/s to be offended by. Just trying to articulate that I would like to see some improvements in certain aspects of our play - even if results dont change dramatically in the short-term.

That was something I also tried to say in one of my replies on this thread too, my point was that with SO'D we'll see a lot of focus on the processes above the outcomes which might see results stay similar... My hope is that we'll see and take notice of the details where improvements have been made rather than seeing the avoidance of relegation as the only way SO'D can be considered a success.

My opposition to McInnes was that I thought he would get us relegated.

I hope O'Driscoll's appointment has been with the prime objective of keeping us up. If O'Driscoll's 'brief' is to 'continue the good work the McInnes started', then I'll be very disappointed.

When speaking against McInnes, I stated that relegation would be a total disaster. I stand by that and am 'expecting' O'Driscoll to do everything he can to keep us up. Forget the 'long term plan', the immediate crisis is to ensure we play Championship football next season. Admittedly, he has a harder task now, because McInnes should've gone before Christmas.

So if 'staying up' is a 'raised level of expectation', then you can put me in that category, because anything less than that is failure and a complete betrayal of the fans by the club.

From what I have read on here and from people I have spoke to expectations have thankfully stayed fairly sensible since Monday.

I think everyone in their right mind knows that we have one hell of a job one to stay up this season, but unlike this time last week I am quietly confident that we have a manager in charge that can turn this club around and build a team we can be proud of again regardless of what division we are kicking off in in August.

Although having said that if we beat Leeds on Saturday I'm sure we will all be looking at the gap between us and sixth place...

Wot, from bottom or top ?......... :icecream:

Archived