IGNORED

Davies

Ciderstreet

Right come then what's up with Davies we need to score goals and we need to win games he is one of our best players and is not getting a look in by either manager. Any ideas?

This has been done to death. We played 1 up front to try and keep a clean sheet. Davies cannot play up on his own because he's not the type of player to hold it up and bring others into play. Taylor/Stead are those type of players.

Is he really one of our best players.

Decent finisher, lethal from set plays... Can't see much else tbh.

yeah but you rate Taylor who must have the worst scoring ratio for a "target man" in the whole of football league this season.....play your best players Davies is better than Taylor

This has been done to death. We played 1 up front to try and keep a clean sheet. Davies cannot play up on his own because he's not the type of player to hold it up and bring others into play. Taylor/Stead are those type of players.

Don't disagree with what you're saying but I just don't buy into the idea fully. What's the point in playing a holding/target man up front if there's no one to hold the ball up for. More so, what's the point in playing a holding/target man that's not got anyone to hold the ball up for, but also that can't score (what, three goals between them this season?)

Surely it's worth playing a striker that is a natural scorer and is prepared to work (we're guilty of criticising Davies for doing this but when he came on against Leicester he worked his chestnuts off) for the ball over someone who works for the ball, but can't score.

With this new passing style of football we expect to see, it seems more reasonable to suggest that we won't necessarily need to play a target man up front either.

Not if you want someone to hold up play and bring others into play.

what you know that do you, has he been played upfront on his own? not saying i dont agree with you in that maybe he cant fulfill this role but surely we are not in a position now when we can afford to play one misfiring striker upfront....davies with another will surely be a better option for us attacking.

We need to take chances now as we are already getting cut adrift.

Taylor is not the answer, he doesnt score goals and that is what we need.....

Surely someone else must agree that when baldock is fit we have to see him and davies together to give us any hope

Don't disagree with what you're saying but I just don't buy into the idea fully. What's the point in playing a holding/target man up front if there's no one to hold the ball up for. More so, what's the point in playing a holding/target man that's not got anyone to hold the ball up for, but also that can't score (what, three goals between them this season?)

Surely it's worth playing a striker that is a natural scorer and is prepared to work (we're guilty of criticising Davies for doing this but when he came on against Leicester he worked his chestnuts off) for the ball over someone who works for the ball, but can't score.

With this new passing style of football we expect to see, it seems more reasonable to suggest that we won't necessarily need to play a target man up front either.

thank you...exactly right

what you know that do you, has he been played upfront on his own? not saying i dont agree with you in that maybe he cant fulfill this role but surely we are not in a position now when we can afford to play one misfiring striker upfront....davies with another will surely be a better option for us attacking.

We need to take chances now as we are already getting cut adrift.

Taylor is not the answer, he doesnt score goals and that is what we need.....

Surely someone else must agree that when baldock is fit we have to see him and davies together to give us any hope

I'm saying that if you're playing one up, Taylor is better than Davies in the role that was required by SoD today. You're now saying play 2 up with Davies and Baldock, a different scenario. I actually thought Stead and Baldock looked like they had a good understanding when they played the other week.

I'm saying that if you're playing one up, Taylor is better than Davies in the role that was required by SoD today. You're now saying play 2 up with Davies and Baldock, a different scenario. I actually thought Stead and Baldock looked like they had a good understanding when they played the other week.

yep sorry what i am trying to say is 1 upfront is not the answer now, i genuinly think we have to play two upfront from now to end of season. We havent got enough quallity in midfield to make 1 upfront a viable option now. I like your stead and baldock pairing.....for me stead is a better big man than taylor

The idea of playing Taylor or Stead is for them to hold the ball and have runners from midfield getting in behind them and breaking in on goal. If you played the likes of Davies up there he wouldn't hold the ball up, therefore it would just keep coming straight back and putting the midfield and back four under constant pressure.

One up front, two up front, three up front!

What we need to do is be able to alter formations when necessary! I believe we should start two up front if we can find two who will play off each other.

We started the season with Taylor/Stead and were effective with Woolford and AA on the wing and Cunningham and Foster overlapping...We then got in Baldock/Davies and we lost the plot completely on how to score.

We need to recreate a little of that original flare and hopefully Carey and Fontaine can stay solid as they were today for the final 19...To win match's you HAVE to score to stand a chance

The idea of playing Taylor or Stead is for them to hold the ball and have runners from midfield getting in behind them and breaking in on goal. If you played the likes of Davies up there he wouldn't hold the ball up, therefore it would just keep coming straight back and putting the midfield and back four under constant pressure.

I understand the concept - I'm merely suggesting that with our squad of players, the concept doesn't seem to be applicable. If we had the sort of midfielders that would run onto balls that Taylor/Stead hold up, then great, I would be all for it. But we don't.

The fact that these holding strikers don't have anyone to provide for, both from midfield and attack, leaves questions to be asked of what their worth is (I'm not suggesting they don't contribute to the team in general, but from a perspective of scoring and providing goals).

Therefore if we're playing strikers that are inept infront of goal and don't have any team mates to feed the ball onto, why not play someone that, given the chance with the ball at his feet, is a lot more likely to score. If Davies already has the ball at feet, there's no need for him to hold the ball up. The same argument can be applied to Sammy.

Really pulling up trees in league 1 int he!

And Davis is really "pulling" up tress in the chapionship! Goals tell the story, pitman is a far better goal scorer than Davis. He maybe lazy, but saved our asses plenty of games last season. But it can be said, if Davis doesn't start getting games, it will be hard to stay up.

Right come then what's up with Davies we need to score goals and we need to win games he is one of our best players and is not getting a look in by either manager. Any ideas?
It's a fitness issue. His knee's are shot to pieces. Can only be used sparingly so will properly never get a good run in the team. Rumoured that he does not train with the rest of the squad, this would suggest light training or possibly no training at times to save him for match days. Bought as and impact player, but needs better service than our midfield have offered so far. Also rumours of personal problems. So this maybe effecting this demeanour.

Archived