IGNORED

Yesterday's Goal

Ciderstreet

Ah the weekly slate our best keeper thread. Oh I know lets play gerken again like everyone wanted the other week....

I thought the thread was about how we conceded the goal yesterday? Well, the fact that once again our keeper could not come 3 yards off his line is bound to reflect on him in this thread.

I thought the thread was about how we conceded the goal yesterday? Well, the fact that once again our keeper could not come 3 yards off his line is bound to reflect on him in this thread.

Maybe he could of come for the cross. Maybe we should of closed down the crosser quicker. Maybe foster should of dealt with the ball better.

Maybe he could of come for the cross. Maybe we should of closed down the crosser quicker. Maybe foster should of dealt with the ball better.

Foster would not have had to deal with anything if Heaton had done what 99% of keepers would do in those circumstances.

As for the cross coming in,some are saying Pearson could have done more, but imo Pearson was stuck between doing this or covering the Leeds player out on the far touch line.

At the end if the day it was a floated cross that ended up 3 yards away from our goal line.

It's bad decision making from Heaton once again imo.

Problem the whole 5 (keeper included here) do not have confidence in one another, I think this maybe why Heaton stays on his line a lot. Maybe some Cardiff fans, who maybe reading this, can't let us know if Heaton was a goal line hanger for them as well.

If we can get a couple of clean sheets, things may start changing.

Hello Carol, thing is a keeper gotta control the box in those situations, ffs it's his box, he has the shout cos he's the one with hands to catch,parry or whatever, he gotta scream n shout to make sure the rest of the backs know what he's doing, defenders should at least get to the posts to cover any mishaps, but hey it's football, we dont do that too well imo

The one positive is that SO'D will have seen in that 10 seconds 50% of our problem this season.

1. No attempt to stop the opposition putting in a cross. We don't make it difficult for our opponents.

2. Goalkeeper not coming for a cross, even when it's that close to his line he's almost underneath it!

3. Ineffective challenges in the box because a) our defenders constatntly manage to get the wrong side and b) powder puff challenges.

Sort that lot out and we might keep a clean sheet before the end of the season!

At the risk of raising the tempreature in this thread - David James would have come for, and got, that cross.

The one positive is that SO'D will have seen in that 10 seconds 50% of our problem this season.

1. No attempt to stop the opposition putting in a cross. We don't make it difficult for our opponents.

2. Goalkeeper not coming for a cross, even when it's that close to his line he's almost underneath it!

3. Ineffective challenges in the box because a) our defenders constatntly manage to get the wrong side and b) powder puff challenges.

Sort that lot out and we might keep a clean sheet before the end of the season!

At the risk of raising the tempreature in this thread - David James would have come for, and got, that cross.

yea and then sliped over and threw it in his own net

Yep. Once a season. And the other 99 he'd have saved. This season we've let them all in.

Are you sure, 99 saves, the same David James that chucked us away several points for his blundering mistakes early in the season, he was bought as a marketing gimmick (imo)

Yes he was bought as a marketing gimmick (imo too), yes he was paid too much (I suspect), yes Henderson would have done a competent job and we could have strengthened other positions (none of which were James' fault). But I also think he was a very good keeper, and that no-one gets to play for England as often as he did, or play as many games in the Premiership as he did, without being a very good keeper. And what he was good at was the basics - and principally that's about good positioning, which means that you don't have to make spectacular saves - sometimes don't even have to make saves at all. And have the confidence to take risks sometimes, which don't always work.

All I'm saying is that I think we now have two keepers who can just about hold their own at this level, but only just, and who don't command their box, don't inspire the rest of the defence, maybe don't make mistakes often, but also don't get themselves into the positions to make a save or a mistake. I'd still far rather have Basso of 5 years ago, or DJ of 2 years ago.

David James, even at is age, is twice the keeper Heaton is.

It is better to come for 100 crosses and mess up 10% of them (which unfortunately everyone remembers) than not come for any at all.

It is slowly dawning on fans that Heaton isn't good enough.

If we had James in goal this season I am positive we'd have kept at least one clean sheet

Just seen the goal and yet again Bristol City FC provide the Football league's comedy defending!!

1) We give the ball away - lack of concentration

2) We do not do enough as a team to stop the cross coming in - lack of desire

3) The cross is a high, floated one and in the air for ages whilst our keeper is glued to his line instead of running the four yards required to catch the cross before it reaches Foster/McCormack - lack of bravery and/or confidence (bravery isn't just about taking hits). He has a reach of about ten feet when he is jumping and arms extended compared to the seven or eight feet that Foster can reach when jumping and should have got there to take a routine catch or at the very least punch the thing away.

4) Foster does not do enough to stop McCormack getting a clean header in - lack of desire

All of the above "errors" have been a consistent "feature" of our defending this season. Skuse can bang on all he likes about players putting in effort, and I have no doubt that they are "putting it in" but effort without concentration, desire and bravery isn't worth enough in our position and is the reason we are making the same mistakes and dropping points week after week.

Problem the whole 5 (keeper included here) do not have confidence in one another, I think this maybe why Heaton stays on his line a lot. Maybe some Cardiff fans, who maybe reading this, can't let us know if Heaton was a goal line hanger for them as well.

If we can get a couple of clean sheets, things may start changing.

He never really kept his place for a season so his best run at no.1 thus far may well be with yourselves, I remember him coming in after Marshall was injured and he kept his spot until about this time of year and was then injured himself. What I do remember seeing was a good keeper at this level, I don't recall thinking he was awful at coming for crosses e.t.c, infact he was probably better at that than Marshall which was Marshall's weakness. I thought Heaton was decent enough at pretty much everything for us where as perhaps Marshall was excellent at shot stopping but rather noticeably weaker at "marshalling" his area.

I'm surprised that given a run he isn't doing the business for you, I thought that was what he needed to really kick on his career. One thing which amazes me is he is down as 6'2, looking at him from my seat in the stand he always seemed smaller, I don't think coming for crosses was a great part of his game necessarily but he was always steady in much of what he did, certainly at this level.

He never really kept his place for a season so his best run at no.1 thus far may well be with yourselves, I remember him coming in after Marshall was injured and he kept his spot until about this time of year and was then injured himself. What I do remember seeing was a good keeper at this level, I don't recall thinking he was awful at coming for crosses e.t.c, infact he was probably better at that than Marshall which was Marshall's weakness. I thought Heaton was decent enough at pretty much everything for us where as perhaps Marshall was excellent at shot stopping but rather noticeably weaker at "marshalling" his area.

I'm surprised that given a run he isn't doing the business for you, I thought that was what he needed to really kick on his career. One thing which amazes me is he is down as 6'2, looking at him from my seat in the stand he always seemed smaller, I don't think coming for crosses was a great part of his game necessarily but he was always steady in much of what he did, certainly at this level.

Thanks for the info bluey

Yet again Foster's the scapegoat. The first thing you see in the Sky Sports clip is Cole Skuse fall over on his arse - if that had been Foster we'd all be hearing about it, but as it's Cole we'll just ignore it.

Foster put in a decent shot and supplied a cross which almost created an own goal, but we'll ignore that too.

As for the goal, well I think it's a bit harsh to blame him. Perhaps he could have done more, but anyone who's ever played football will know it's a lot easier to jump forward onto something then it is too jump backwards. As for Heaton, I'd expect a ball coming in that close to the keeper's territory to be punched.

Still as long as were slagging off someone or moaning what else matters?

Archived