IGNORED

League 1

KeepUpLino

In many ways a very realistic thread, things don't look good, basically we are looking for 28 points in 19 games, a tough ask. With financial constraints and League position, can we realistically attract players to achieve survival, or do we look ahead to next season, and the future, in whatever division? And if we do go, we will be keeping the players prepared to stay, or that we cannot offload, so may not actually have full choice. Also dependent on wages and who we can afford to keep. Obviously we have to hope we avoid drop, but it could be financial suicide to bring in 3/4 high earners in our current predicament.

only the 57 points to play for then......

and a game in hand on all the clubs around us :dancer2: . I'm sure that we were entrenched in the relegation zone before the Easter weekend last season (before the Forest and Cov games ) and we finished at least 10 points clear of relegation. This was basically with this squad but with a couple of key loan signings + Cisse who we reallly miss. On paper we have a better attack ie Baldock. Davies and Anderson and the midfield is about the same. It is all about getting in a couple of signings to do the jobs of Bikey and Cisse in the 8 match un-beaten run which kept us up, and the manager to prove his worth and restore the confidence of the last few games and the beginning of this season. Are squad isn't that great in ability (obviously), our position shows that, but I really think that this can be turned around. I am now going to open my 3rd bottle of Chilean Cabernet! :drunk2:

In many ways a very realistic thread, things don't look good, basically we are looking for 28 points in 19 games, a tough ask. With financial constraints and League position, can we realistically attract players to achieve survival, or do we look ahead to next season, and the future, in whatever division? And if we do go, we will be keeping the players prepared to stay, or that we cannot offload, so may not actually have full choice. Also dependent on wages and who we can afford to keep. Obviously we have to hope we avoid drop, but it could be financial suicide to bring in 3/4 high earners in our current predicament.

and who the hell would want to come to a club who are bottom of the league?? This mcfadzeen deal looks hot and cold and prbably won't happen..

Our best bet is to get a few loan `journeymen` in

He had brilliant first 5-6 games then got injured.. came back and imo hasn't really been at his best again.. Champ clubs won't really be aware of him yet.

hes still our most solid defender, he struggled coming back but i would be very suprised if we held onto him next season despite what league were in.

Out Of Contract First Team

Dean Gerkin

Tom Heaton

Lewin Nyatanga

Louis Carey

Cole Skuse

Jody Morris

John Stead

Out of Contract Development Squad

Lewis Carey

Aaron Amdi-Holloway

Out of Contract now

Matthew Bates

Mark Wilson

1 Year Left (Expire 2014)

James Wilson

Ricky Foster

Paul Anderson

Stephen Pearson

Marvin Elliott

Neil Kilkenny

Albert Adomah

Ryan Taylor

Longer Contracts

Greg Cunningham 2016

Liam Fontaine 2015

Liam Kelly 2016

Joe Bryan 2015

Bobby Reid 2015

Sam Baldock 2015?

Steven Davies 2015

The players out of contract at the end of the season will probably all be released. Skuse will be offered a deal but will most likely reject it.

Those with 1 year left after this season will be hard to shift, except for Albert who will definitely be off. I suspect SOD will want to keep Kilkenny, a player he has tried to buy on numerous occasions before. I am unsure if he rates Anderson, as didnt he already sell him to us earlier this season? Personally I would like to see the rest go, but getting takers will be a problem.

I think that all of those on longer contracts are likely to stay, Fontaine has been awful this season but there is the possibility that someone will snap him up if he finds his form back. I feel we have a good nucleus of players here to kick things off in league one if we can keep hold of them all. Baldock / Davies may put in transfer requests, who knows.

Approach league one with one aim: promotion.

Play some good football and keep the likes of:

GK: New

RB: New

CB: McFadzean

CB: New

LB: Cunningham

DM: Skuse

CM: Kelly

CM: Reid/New

RW: New

LW: New

ST: Baldock

Sell Adomah and sell/release all the bigger earners to free up funds to revamp a squad that's determined to get promotion at the first time of asking and play some tidy stuff.

I think your all mental, you obviously cant remeber what happened last time we got religated? Let me remind you, we lost all our most skillfull players, if anything people will come in for the players we want to keep and then we will be lumbered with the players that we want to get rid of. Paying up contracts is just insanity (you only do that if they are causing a problem in the backroom) it costs as much to do that as to pay them for the rest of the contract.

Lets not beat around the bush if we get religated were screwed for a good few seasons while we rebuild, and its not going to happen as fast as any of you guys would like so stop thinking its like fantasy ******* football for **** sake!

I think your all mental, you obviously cant remeber what happened last time we got religated? Let me remind you, we lost all our most skillfull players, if anything people will come in for the players we want to keep and then we will be lumbered with the players that we want to get rid of. Paying up contracts is just insanity (you only do that if they are causing a problem in the backroom) it costs as much to do that as to pay them for the rest of the contract.

Lets not beat around the bush if we get religated were screwed for a good few seasons while we rebuild, and its not going to happen as fast as any of you guys would like so stop thinking its like fantasy ******* football for **** sake!

Jordan is right - we need to keep the nucleus of out best players, it's pointless just holding onto players no-one else wants and resigning ourselves to years stuck in L1 (and that's if we do get relegated, which is still not 100%).

We do not need to buy up contracts, lots are running out this June - and the others that you think have no future at the club need to be treated with some honesty and respect and told the position - wish them good luck, that unfortunately we do not want them training with the first team - but we will try our hardest to help them find clubs/loan deals...... no one want to be strung along.

Upon saying that, who are we - we are all saying what we'd like to see happen - for all we know SO'D might keep every player we have and even offer them new contracts.

a lot will depend whether the board were smart enough to include significant wage cuts in the players contracts in the event of relegation, say 30% to 50%

i suspect a lot of players wont have that, or a very small cut, and a lot of the lads may well have low release clauses if the club goes down (in the style of demba ba, loic remy etc) which would mean they could leave for about 5% of what the club paid to get them.

we're already experiencing a firesale in this window, the summer wont be any different if we go down

Am I on my own in thinking that this pointless topic could ONLY take place on a Bristol City forum? Planning for a relegation that hasn't happened, with players we haven't signed? I suggest you all stay away from home games for the rest of the season, the team don't need this kind of "support".

Unbelieveable.

Am I on my own in thinking that this pointless topic could ONLY take place on a Bristol City forum? Planning for a relegation that hasn't happened, with players we haven't signed? I suggest you all stay away from home games for the rest of the season, the team don't need this kind of "support".

Unbelieveable.

People are debating what a L1 City side would/should be - pretty sure most people do not believe that we are already relegated.

As for your suggestion..... I suggest "YOU" stay away for the rest of the season, we don't need your kind of support telling people to stay away from ground !! Oh no.... what paradigm has started here.......

Unbelieveable.

I agree, I dont get how some "fans" can talk with such certainty that we'll go down(I dont mind the team debate). We've got a new manager in who was largely credited with helping Forest stay up last season. Theres still 10 days of the transfer window plus the loan window after to use. The team we have although not great are easily good enough to stay up with the right management and 1 or 2 additions. We have a game in hand on all the teams around us and are potentially 5 points from safety....with 20 or so games to play? Peterborough were dead and burried not long ago and look where they are after having a good little run, I doubt their fans are as negative as ours.

People are debating what a L1 City side would/should be - pretty sure most people do not believe that we are already relegated.

As for your suggestion..... I suggest "YOU" stay away for the rest of the season, we don't need your kind of support telling people to stay away from ground !! Oh no.... what paradigm has started here.......

Don't you mean paradox?

Unbelieveable.

Do you honestly back us to stay up? Realistically we need a miracle now, looking at our squad, fixtures and form. Would love to be wrong, but I think weve had it!

Do you honestly back us to stay up? Realistically we need a miracle now, looking at our squad, fixtures and form. Would love to be wrong, but I think weve had it!

Until we're mathematically certain to go down, I will keep believing that we will stay up. 57 points is a lot to play for mate.

If everybody put as much effort into pulling together, getting down The Gate to SUPPORT the team and doing everything that WE can until the point when relegation is confirmed, there would be a much better better of chance of everything that is being discussed on this thread not actually needing to matter come the end of the season!

C.O.Y.R!!!!

ALWAYS BELIEVE!!

Unbelieveable.

No you are not on your own, however you are 100% correct.

Approach league one with one aim: promotion.

Play some good football and keep the likes of:

GK: New

RB: New

CB: McFadzean

CB: New

LB: Cunningham

DM: Skuse

CM: Kelly

CM: Reid/New

RW: New

LW: New

ST: Baldock

Sell Adomah and sell/release all the bigger earners to free up funds to revamp a squad that's determined to get promotion at the first time of asking and play some tidy stuff.

The problem with that is there is a reason the big earners are big earners they are usually the better players,that mob the other side of Bristol got rid of all their better paid players and look where they have finished up.

Jordan is right - we need to keep the nucleus of out best players, it's pointless just holding onto players no-one else wants and resigning ourselves to years stuck in L1 (and that's if we do get relegated, which is still not 100%).

We do not need to buy up contracts, lots are running out this June - and the others that you think have no future at the club need to be treated with some honesty and respect and told the position - wish them good luck, that unfortunately we do not want them training with the first team - but we will try our hardest to help them find clubs/loan deals...... no one want to be strung along.

Upon saying that, who are we - we are all saying what we'd like to see happen - for all we know SO'D might keep every player we have and even offer them new contracts.

Im not saying he is wrong, I'm just saying that if the high earners are not good value for money for us why woulf they be fore someone else. Also as someone else has wisley pointed out its not a reality yet so kinda of a moot point, it just amuses me how people think we can just cut the squad to size over night..... Lest we forget the number of shitters Pulis lumbered us with!

Archived