IGNORED

Bristols Finest Band

Keepers Ball

Go back 40+ years and there was the Bristol rock group Stackridge, originally known as Stackridge Lemon.

They actually made it into the Top 10 and unlike The Wurzels were Bristolians.

I've omitted Fred Wedlock as the theme is Bristol's best band. When serving in the RAF near Norwich, the guy in the next bed was from Bolton. Hearing I was from Bristol, he said "Ahh, Stackridge teritory.

I've asked around but no one sems to know what happened to the group and it's members.

Go back 40+ years and there was the Bristol rock group Stackridge, originally known as Stackridge Lemon.

They actually made it into the Top 10 and unlike The Wurzels were Bristolians.

I've omitted Fred Wedlock as the theme is Bristol's best band. When serving in the RAF near Norwich, the guy in the next bed was from Bolton. Hearing I was from Bristol, he said "Ahh, Stackridge teritory.

I've asked around but no one sems to know what happened to the group and it's members.

They were a Yatton band specifically I think, hence Purple Spaceships Over yatton ! Think they played fairly recently locally,within the last year or so.

Okay,

Even I had to go on to Wiki just to remind me of the some of the bands that I remember coming from or around Bristol.

From the list details on Wiki (source) I am familiar with or have music by the following Bristol ( and surrounding area) bands or artists

The Agents: Post Punk band (1980–1983). In 1981 they released in Germany the single and album called ‘Everybody’s Gonna Be Happy’. They split up in 1983, with members Richard Snow, Dave and Steve Libby going on to form Force Majeure.

Acker Bilk: Clarinetist and songwriter (b.1929). Best known for his 1961 UK hit single, "Stranger on the Shore", which also became the first British recording to reach #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1962

The Blue Aeroplanes: Art rock guitar band (1983–present). Formed out of the ashes of Art Objects, over its lifetime the band has had a fluid membership, with the 2 constants being Gerard Langley as “singer” and Wojtek Dmochowski (dancer). The band became the official owners of The Fleece live music venue in May 2010 after bassist Chris Sharp purchased the lease.

Climie Fisher: Pop duo (1987–1990), formed by former Naked Eyes keyboardist Rob Fisher and vocalist Simon Climie. They are best known for the 1987/88 hit singles "Love Changes (Everything)" and the hip hop-styled remix of "Rise to the Occasion".

Russ Conway: Pianist and composer (1925–2000). He had a cumulative total of 83 weeks on the UK Singles Chart in 1959, including two number one records: ‘Side Saddle’ and ‘Roulette’. He appeared as himself in French and Saunders' 1994 Christmas special, playing ‘Side Saddle’ in their spoof of The Piano.

The Cortinas: Originally started as a R&B Band, but is more famous for its Punk and New Wave incarnations (1976–1978). Featured bassist Dexter Dalwood, guitarists Mike Fewings, drummer Daniel Swan (Sneetches) and future Clash member Nick Sheppard. They split up in the same year they released, on CBS, their debut album, ‘True Romances’.

Adge Cutler: Alan John Cutler Scrumpy and Western singer and songwriter (1930–1974). Originator of the description Scrumpy and Western music, and founder of The Wurzels in 1966. Best known for his minor UK hit single in 1967 (and unofficial West Country Anthem), 'Drink Up Thy Zider'.

East of Eden, a progressive rock band formed in 1967

Europeans: New Wave Band (1977–1979). Their self-titled single ‘Europeans’ was the second release on Heartbeat Records. Jon Klein, guitarist, went on to form Specimen and later played with Siouxie & the Banshees.

The Korgis: Pop band (1978–1982, 1985–1986, 1990–1993, 2005–present). Originally composed of singer/bassist James Warren and singer/drummer Andy Davis, both former members of 1970s band Stackridge. Their 1980 single, ‘Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime’ was a hit on both sides of the Atlantic.

Rip Rig + Panic: Post punk band (1981–1983). Fronted by Andrea Oliver, its members included singer Neneh Cherry, Sean Oliver, Mark Springer, and Gareth Sager and Bruce Smith (both from The Pop Group). The band notably made a guest appearance in an episode of the British sitcom The Young Ones performing their 1982 single ‘You're My Kind of Climate’.

Roni Size: Ryan Williams (Roni Size) is a music producer and DJ (b.1969). He came to prominence in 1997 as the founder and leader of Reprazent, a drum and bass collective. They won the Mercury Prize for their album “New Forms” in 1997.

Stackridge: The band mix folk, pop and progressive rock with quirky humour (1969–1976, 1999–2000, 2007–present). Formed by Andy Davis and James "Crun" Walter, their debut single was Dora the Female Explorer. They played the first and last notes at the first ever Glastonbury Festival in 1970. James Warren and Andy Davis went on to form The Korgis.

Stanton Warriors: Breakbeat duo Dominic Butler and Mark Yardley (1997–present). They are a DJ and producer team of Breakbeat electronic dance music. Their name was originally conceived from one of the warriors tripping over a "Stanton Warrior" draincover on Tower Bridge, London.

Fred Wedlock: Folk and Scrumpy and Western singer (1942–2010). Former teacher who took up music full-time in the 1970s, and best known for his 1981 UK hit single, "The Oldest Swinger In Town".

Went to see Nell Bryden at the Louisiana on Friday night, she was supported by a local guy Gaz Brookfield, who played a great set, just him and acoustic guitar a sort of Badly Drawn Boy feel about him, played a great song called "Be the bigger man" and a song about his love for the West Country which got the crowd going :banana::banana: . So impressed bought a CD after. Nell was brilliant, but she was born in Brooklyn so doesn't really count :read:

Not in anyway famous but JACUZZI were a great pubband in the 90's I use to follow

Hi

I finally found someone else who had actually heard of this pub band.

I only ever saw them once and since then a sing they did has bugged me for year over what it was or if it was an original compositions of theirs

No idea of the name of it other than the chorus went something like

'maybe those sad eyes will bring back those glad times'

You don't have any clue as to what the song actually was ?

Many Thanks

Archived