IGNORED

Albert Price Tag

dereks no1

Wigan are stepping up their efforts to sign Ecuador winger Jefferson Montero from Mexican side Monarcas Morelia in a £2.75million deal, according to the Daily Mail.

Might rule them out if they were ever ruled in. Bolton or Palarse... wow... what a mouth watering choice for Albert.. NOT.. who has already said he is happy in the beautiful city of Bristol.

You listening board? Sincerely hope so.

His price isn't just dependent on his undoubted skill. It's dependent on our need to sell him.

We don't, so it'll have to be an 'offer we can't refuse' to dislodge him. I'd love for him to stay, but I'm guessing anything around £2.25m will persuade the board to sell.

His price isn't just dependent on his undoubted skill. It's dependent on our need to sell him.

We don't, so it'll have to be an 'offer we can't refuse' to dislodge him. I'd love for him to stay, but I'm guessing anything around £2.25m will persuade the board to sell.

Yeh agree with this mate!

But £2.25mill? Really? I think Albert is more Valuable to us than that!

Criteria...to be pedantic.

Whats the excuse for Watford - Ballet, Opera or a film?

Or - YAFOS?

No - criterion. Criteria is the plural, and England qualification is only a single criterion.

If you're going to be pedantic, please get it right!

Barring an absurd bid (i.e. at least £5M up front) the only case for selling now would be that there are players available and willing to come (in the next 56 hours) who will make the difference AND we need to raise the cash to secure them. Unless he has decided he wants to go (and I doubt he is even thinking about it), something fundamental has changed in the relationship between majority shareholder and club AND playing for us is a lot more attractive to the sort of players we need than it has appeared recently these circumstances simply will not arise.

That is to say - if the right players are available within the new salary constraints we can probably sign them without selling Albert AND if we do we will be all the stronger for keeping Albert.

Regarding the potential for his value diminishing before the Summer - this can only really be a relevant issue if we are offered an absurd fee now. It seems that some on this site are saying we can get £2M, £2,5M or £3M now but not later when all the rumours are suggesting is that a bid of considerably less than any of these figures has been rejected. In any event, in our current predicament and circumstances I cannot see that any of these figures are large enough to leave us no choice.

Finally, I see the sell-on clause debate as started again with the usual reference to the Andy Cole fiasco. If I remember rightly when AC moved on from Newcastle for an absurd fee our Board at that time (which I do not believe was the same as at the time we sold him) were publicly critical of our failure to secure a sell-on. What everyone seems to overlook is that in any commercial arrangement "add-ons" are used as a substitute for cash. A cash rich buyer always has the choice whether to meet the seller's demand or to offer less and make up the difference with "add-ons" - for example, none of us know that we did not say to Newcastle "and we want 25% of any future profit" and that KK didn't say "you can have what ever you want but it's coming off the fee" - the reason we all remember it is simply the size of the MU/NU fee which no one would ever have predicted before he left us.

In this day and age, as Micky taught Crewe, an "add-on" can be of dubious value - even when you expect a player to move for a profit, procrastination by player and club can frequently mean that contracts run down and potential profit evaporates. Given the choice, in football as in life, cash in hand is always King!

Archived