IGNORED

Marvin Elliott, An Apology

Welcome To The Jungle

I'm one of Marv's biggest fans and he will always be one of my favourite City players, but like many others I wasn't particularly optimistic when he was brought on to replace Skuse tonight. Thankfully he was superb.

I think Marv suffers from everyone always comparing him to the player that we used to know and love. I'm afraid he will never be that again. He will never be able to charge around at 100mph for 90 minutes tackling everything that moves. He will never be able to effectively play an opposition midfield on his own as he did at times early on in his City career. However tonight showed that possibly, just possibly, he may be able to be an effective player for us in a slightly different role.

I thought that tonight he shielded the back four and held his position excellently (much better than he did when he was at best to be honest), when it got into an area that a tackle needed to be made he made it and he was also able to retain posession with a simple pass when he did win the ball back.

Admitedly it is more with hope than expectation that I say this and we almost definitely shouldn't be planning for a future where Marvin remains a key player, but there were some signs tonight that maybe he can still do job for us at this level, albeit not the same midfield box to box powerhouse job that made him such an Ashton Gate favourite.

There's no doubt he was told what to do.

I expect Heaton and the back four have been "told" to keep a clean sheet all season. Harder doing it though eh? Elliot needs to move on in the summer no doubt (for himself as well as the club) but hats off to him tonight, it might not have been textbook but he did his job and more as did every other player out there

Played excellently despite some vocal reservations from myself and many others. Delighted to be wrong, was a good game for him, don't think he's the answer long term or even short term, but in a battle you'd have him.

He was exactly the type of player we needed in midfield last night, the way Watford passed it around. Marv is very good at breaking up play.

Yes he did well.

Marvin certainly improved as the game went on. I think the fact that, due to our tactics and Watford's style of play, for a large part of the game the play was a lot more 'compact' than we normally see. That suited Marvin well in view of his lack of match fitness - would be worried that he could still revert to the headless chicken in a more open and quick moving game. But overall, he did what was needed last night.

Well done Marvin Elliot last night. Anyone criticising him on this thread were not there at the game last night. Also well done Stephen Pearson and, second half particularly Liam Fontaine. Well done the rest of the team too, excellent effort all round given the recent circumstances. Bless every lttle one of em

Archived