IGNORED

Carey And That Record

allyolly

As I have stated on here on a other post, I doubt that I will ever see this record broken again in my lifetime. He will deserve all of the applause if he breaks it on Boxing Day in front of a home crowd!

At the end of the day Big John will still have the goal scoring record.

Appearances is a modern era term. Atyeo earned his numbers as "STARTS ". Carey's numbers are for appearances, which includes 5 minute run on's from the bench. In modern times there are more players on the bench, in Atyeo's day there were only 2 substitutes, so you could not be without Atyeo at the start........he was that good !

Appearances is a modern era term. Atyeo earned his numbers as "STARTS ". Carey's numbers are for appearances, which includes 5 minute run on's from the bench. In modern times there are more players on the bench, in Atyeo's day there were only 2 substitutes, so you could not be without Atyeo at the start........he was that good !

Also, the first substitute was used in 1965 and could only replace an injured player, not for tactical purposes.

Comparing Carey and Ateyo is silly IMO as football has changed so much in that time. Money, skill, fitness, the club have all changed massively the game is almost unrecognisable. What we can say with out a doubt is that both are legends, both will be immortalised at BCFC. One is our top goalscorer and most starts, the other most appearances and several broken noses, skulls etc. 

Archived