IGNORED

Carey And That Record

allyolly

6 isn't it?

So that would be Blackpool away to beat it, but Barnsley at home to equal it.

Assuming he plays every game from now till then.

Thanks for that - am sorted for Blackpool so assuming he does play every game that would give the weekend something extra special.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Carey is that special and is just lucky that we as a club stalled 4 years ago. His career with city has been dictated bt circumstance rather than design. I find it hard to class him as a 'city great' purley because of the number of appearances he has made. There are vast tracts of his career where he has looked a poor player, but as I said, circumstance dictates that he is still involved. To me it is an indictment of the clubs progress that he is even still contracted.

Am I the only one who doesn't think Carey is that special and is just lucky that we as a club stalled 4 years ago. His career with city has been dictated bt circumstance rather than design. I find it hard to class him as a 'city great' purley because of the number of appearances he has made. There are vast tracts of his career where he has looked a poor player, but as I said, circumstance dictates that he is still involved. To me it is an indictment of the clubs progress that he is even still contracted.

He's pretty special...

Must be.

for the level we are/have been at during Carey's time here i think he has been comfortable with the standard. if we had gone up in the playoffs in 2008 then yes, he wouldn't be at the club now. But he has been a fantastic servant to the club, very rare you get players anywhere near the number of appearances for one club as he has made.

for the level we are/have been at during Carey's time here i think he has been comfortable with the standard. if we had gone up in the playoffs in 2008 then yes, he wouldn't be at the club now. But he has been a fantastic servant to the club, very rare you get players anywhere near the number of appearances for one club as he has made.
It is very rare, I accept that. I just can't even begin to bracket him with John Atyeo.

With modern football being the way it is, I suspect the appearance record, whether it be Louis' or Big John's is unlikely to be beaten.

In view of this, which of the two players would you all prefer to be up there has having the most apearances in the record books in the future, or who do you think deserves the accolade the most?

With modern football being the way it is, I suspect the appearance record, whether it be Louis' or Big John's is unlikely to be beaten. In view of this, which of the two players would you all prefer to be up there has having the most apearances in the record books in the future, or who do you think deserves the accolade the most?
John Atyeo

With modern football being the way it is, I suspect the appearance record, whether it be Louis' or Big John's is unlikely to be beaten.

In view of this, which of the two players would you all prefer to be up there has having the most apearances in the record books in the future, or who do you think deserves the accolade the most?

good question, i think Carey as i have seen him play. Atyeo still has the goal record and that will never be broken.

This is getting boring now. The sooner Carey breaks the record the better and then we can forget it.

Fact remains that John Atyeo will eventually have a statue in his honour at the home of Bristol City.

How many of us actually saw Atyeo play?

How many players of this era play over 600 games for their hometown club? Louis may not compare as a player to Atyeo in some eyes but if he gets that record then I think we should celebrate it and be pleased for him. How anyone can say he hasn't deserved to play so many games baffles me.

Yes, Atyeo is fully deserving of his stand / statue but i've not seen any suggestions of a 'Carey Stand'.

So sorry if it is boring but please let City fans of a certain age group, or anyone who cares, look forward to potentially a historic moment for this club. Especially as we've not had much to celebrate.

I think Louis is on 639.

City's average league position, throughout our history, is some between the lower end of the 2nd tier and the top end of the 3rd tier. So I think Carey's time with us has pretty much mirrored that. In that sense you can compare him with most other City players in terms of standard of football played. And he's played more games than all bar Atyeo, so deserves to be seen as a true City great

You obviously were not at our last two home games when Louis got through 90 mins both games (despte his advancing years) and was MOM v Ipswich and could easily have achieved that again v Watford.

Fearless, often first to the header (despite he is only 5ft 10ins I believe) but most importantly a great reader of the game who organises our defence - very evident v classy Watford.

Yes, you probably are the only one who does not think Louis is special.

Of course he has had the odd bad game, they all do, but this man has been totally committed to our club for all his career (apart from that brief spell at Coventry).

As a City fan since just before he was born, I will be clapping and cheering like mad the day he goes past the Atyeo record - hopefully at AG.

I'm guessing that we are a little unusual to have, who many believe to be our clubs greatest player, holding both the appearance and goalscoring records. I imagine if you took a poll of fans up and down the country on their clubs greatest player, they probably don't often hold the club appearance record.

I say if he passes the record, well done to him. He's served us very well and it'll be nice for a lot of current supporters to witness a bit of history. John Atyeos greatness won't be harmed one bit.

Sorry really didn't meant this to be a should Louis deserve the record thread as I am sure that has been done to death elsewhere.....

But for what it's worth I think if he achieves it nobody should doubt he deserves it.

Its not a subjective thing like is he the best player it's as simple as has he been selected to play for bcfc more than anyone else.

Sorry really didn't meant this to be a should Louis deserve the record thread as I am sure that has been done to death elsewhere.....

But for what it's worth I think if he achieves it nobody should doubt he deserves it.

Its not a subjective thing like is he the best player it's as simple as has he been selected to play for bcfc more than anyone else.

I completely agree. A record is objective and to that end Louis will be city's most capped player. As i said above, that certainly is some achievement. If holding that record makes you great in some people's eyes then so be it.

I must admit its hard to imagine a statue of someone simply because circumstance dictated that they played a lot of games at some point.

I just don't think he's that amazing or talented.

I never saw saw John Ateyo, but I have seen Carey who has broken his nose no less than 6 times in a city shirt (well wiki says that), broke his skull in 2011 and played on and has consistently given a shit. John Ateyo will never be forgotten and is a legend in his own right and so he should be. This club produces few true legends, but Louis Carey is the most deserving person for generations to get this reward. He cried with joy when he learnt he had a new deal last season. Red to the core, city through and through, and still our best cb aged 36. Say what you like, I don't give a toss. One Louis Carey (enless you count Lewis Carey), CTID

I never saw saw John Ateyo, but I have seen Carey who has broken his nose no less than 6 times in a city shirt (well wiki says that), broke his skull in 2011 and played on and has consistently given a shit. John Ateyo will never be forgotten and is a legend in his own right and so he should be. This club produces few true legends, but Louis Carey is the most deserving person for generations to get this reward. He cried with joy when he learnt he had a new deal last season. Red to the core, city through and through, and still our best cb aged 36. Say what you like, I don't give a toss. One Louis Carey (enless you count Lewis Carey), CTID

Agree with this. For some people it seems Carey taking the record makes him better than Ateyo. Why does it have to mean this? They are both true greats in their own rights for different reasons. As you say we don't have many so let's celebrate the ones we do have!

Atyeo will always be our greatest player. You don't need stats to prove that. It's becoming very tedious that people are getting upset that Carey will pass the appearance record. I for one will applaud it when it happens, a great achievement in this modern era

Archived