IGNORED

New Train Station

Welcome To The Jungle

FGW has been granted an extension on its franchise for just this project. Now, if BRT (aka the bendybus) is abandoned and replaced by a renewed rail link from Wapping Wharf to Ashton Gate Junction...

Sadly seems BRT won't get cainned purely beacause they can't reuse the money for anything else, not even light railway scheme.

I'm afraid to say that I'm in the train station camp.

I'm betting that your preference is dictated by your aged.

Aizoon is pretty old (and senile) and he's gone with Railway. (Love you Horace)

I'm pretty young (32) and I've gone with train.

I reckon someone could write a thesis on this!

Horace is only 3 1/4 and he says "railway station". No, yes, no, it is a generational thing. The usage "train station" came from the USA, by analogy with "bus station". The reason for this is that bus stations are far more common and better used there than railway stations.

Here, it's the other way round, as bus stations are sold off by greedy toads like WorstBus, but any US usage is seized on by the media because they think it makes them look "sexy". And don't get me started on the abuse of THAT word :grr:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some dribbling and mumbling to do...

Hang on, I'll just ask Mr Brunel what the correct term is for his station...

Oh, hang on, he's dead

FFS, it's a railway station, you drive to it in your motor car, get out your child's perambulator, put on your top hat and pay 1/6d to park for the day before catching the modern steam train, travelling first class (not second or third) for a jolly day out by the sea with lashings of ginger beer.

Going back to the original purpose of the thread – i.e. how wonderful it would be to have a train / railway station – I think most people are overlooking a basic point. It’s all very well having a station at Ashton, but to be of use to City on match days, you’ve got to have trains! Lots of them.

The various train operating companies run their services with the bare minimum of rolling stock (Why don’t we call it a rolling stock station?). This is illustrated by the Temple Meads to Severn Beach line. If one train breaks down there are no spare trains to take over and the service falls apart.

If there was a service form Bristol to Portishead it would be use diesel multiple units, with a capacity of approx 200 passengers, probably with a half hourly service. Transporting approx 200 supporters every half hour would not be of much use with a large crowd. What would be needed would be extra trains that only run on match days. Unfortunately there aren’t lots of trains spare.

Going back to the original purpose of the thread – i.e. how wonderful it would be to have a train / railway station – I think most people are overlooking a basic point. It’s all very well having a station at Ashton, but to be of use to City on match days, you’ve got to have trains! Lots of them.

The various train operating companies run their services with the bare minimum of rolling stock (Why don’t we call it a rolling stock station?). This is illustrated by the Temple Meads to Severn Beach line. If one train breaks down there are no spare trains to take over and the service falls apart.

If there was a service form Bristol to Portishead it would be use diesel multiple units, with a capacity of approx 200 passengers, probably with a half hourly service. Transporting approx 200 supporters every half hour would not be of much use with a large crowd. What would be needed would be extra trains that only run on match days. Unfortunately there aren’t lots of trains spare.

True, but it's 200+ cars an hour fewer looking for parking spaces.

Maybe we could buy some rolling stock - fans - bring a brolly

train-4.jpg

btw had to add this image after seeing it.... wth

500px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.j

Hang on, I'll just ask Mr Brunel what the correct term is for his station...

Oh, hang on, he's dead

FFS, it's a railway station, you drive to it in your motor car, get out your child's perambulator, put on your top hat and pay 1/6d to park for the day before catching the modern steam train, travelling first class (not second or third) for a jolly day out by the sea with lashings of ginger beer.

Sounds like a good day out to me :) Can I bring the hedgehogs?

Maybe we could buy some rolling stock - fans - bring a brolly

train-4.jpg

btw had to add this image after seeing it.... wth

500px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.j

Good idea. There’s already a railway on the docks. All we need to do is get a bit more track and join it up to the main line.

2010-08-30-bh-01a.jpg

Archived