IGNORED

Does 'luck' Really Come Into It?

RedM

I've read quite a few comments rueing the fact that if we had a little more 'luck' then we would be up. What exactly is luck? Is it just a different decision from the ref? Is it that your player only has a minor knock instead of breaking his leg?

I don't go about my work thinking I may be 'lucky' today so I'll have a good day. I have the skills that I have worked hard to attain and can follow instructions from my bosses or make decisions for myself. Of course there are days when everything SEEMS to go wrong...is that my fault/the fault of other or 'unlucky'?

Why do everyone connected with football need 'luck' to suceed? surely if you have ensured that you have the players selected with the correct skills, in the correct positions they can do the job that they are employed to do. the job of the manager is to be aware of the oppositon and use his knowledge to tatcially overcome them?

Of course if you aren't tactically using the players with the correct skills, or have underminded their confidence often, then I suppose you are relying on 'luck'?

We had the same ref for the games against Brighton at AG and the play off final.

At AG he apparently did not see (unlike a few thousand fans) a blatant handball by a Brighton player in the box. The result 0-0.

At Cardiff he saw Coles foul the Brighton player and (rightfully) awarded the penalty. The result 1-0.

That may or not have anything to do with luck but if we had scored from the spot at AG, we may not have had to go to Cardiff and I'm sure that the majority of City fans would feel better than they do now.

Guest Rikku

Yes, but luck evens itself out over the course of the season so it counts for pretty much nothing in the end. A lot of people only seem to remember the times we were unlucky, but what about incidents like Adam Boyd hitting the post during the home leg against Hartlepool, or the luck we had during our 11 game winning run. The penalty decision against Brighton is irrelevant - if we'd have played with the skill, flair and drive that we are capable of then we should have been 2 or 3 goals up by that point and a Leon Knight penalty would have served to have been nothing but a consolation goal for Brighton.

Lets be honest, We were lucky to get to the final, Hartlepool were the better side.

Some of the happy clappies are really clutching at straws.

In a years time when Wilson groundhog day has struck again, What excuse will they come up then, Because they will.

Guest Tactical Genius
Hitting posts is not luck

Hitting the post is hitting the post.

The idea of the game is to get the ball between them

Hitting the post is for me as much of a miss as hitting the corner flag

Still a miss

Try telling that to the Lee Miller fan club.

Redm dont get too radical forcing people to take responsibility for their actions...wooooooooooo!! Might be a step too far for Wilson and others..you are right you make your own luck, you do things to the best of your abilities, you play to your strengths...and if you dont, you pay the price!! Its called life, and its a sh**** but dont moan, get up and sort it out....if you cant leave!!! s'easy..took a woman to see it...can you tell Danny now please??

Guest Tactical Genius

Not really, at the time many of us in the ground agreed that that could well turn out to be the defining point of the season, and so it proved.

Not really, at the time many of us in the ground agreed that that could well turn out to be the defining point of the season, and so it proved.
so would you blame Miller as the soul reason that City didnt go up this season, simply Yes or No ? :rolleyes:

Guest Tactical Genius

Not the sole reason no. But the fact remains that in 30 years I have never seen a worse miss by a professional football player, and those two extra points would have seen us finish second.

For goodness sake, is the infamous 'Miller Miss' any different from say, a Phillips miss? Miller did fail to put the ball in the net, fact. But i don't believe it has anymore bearing than Phillips failing to stop some of the soft goals that let draws become defeats, or wins draws.

I remember Gordon owen missing an important penalty that would have taken us up or into the playoffs ( I can't remember). He was never forgiven by City fans, dispite the pressure he must have been under. Don't let the same thing happen to Lee, and his 'chance' was less clear cut.

We just haven't been consistant enough in our play.Danny not knowing/playing his strongest team hasn't helped and we have had a few long term injuries.I thought last august when we whipped Notts County we were going to be a force to be reckoned with, I've not thought that many times since. When we have been good we have played Ok, just a few flashes of brilliance here and there. When we have been bad we have been dire. that can't be down to pure 'luck'.

Of course luck comes into it. People talk about Arsenal's unbeaten record being incredible thuis year, but in my view going through a whole league season without getting a penalty is almost as incredible. Just think, if the ref had given that handball against that Wycombe player at home we'd be up now.....

Yes you make your own luck, but you can't influence the ref's decision and sometimes you need luck with those.

(This is only one aspect of the luck thread, there are lots more of course.... :rolleyes: )

The lack of a penalty is an interesting aspect of the 'make your own luck theory' - ignoring handballs the majority of penalties are won by players running at defenders in the box comminting them to tackles they dont want to make and drawing the foul

What have not done all season?

We haven't run at players like we did oin the last hence we dont create as many situations where we are in with a shout of gettin a 'lucky' decision from a referee. You gotta be in it to win it - and we dont do it thereofre dont make our own luck - in the lack of a penalty sense of course

Not the sole reason no. But the fact remains that in 30 years I have never seen a worse miss by a professional football player, and those two extra points would have seen us finish second.
You have never seen a worse miss, come off it.

Heres some much much worse ones, Ronny Rosenthal for Liverpool against Aston Villa, thats much worse, Peter Van Vossen for Rangers against Celtic, open goal and skied to over the bar. Those i can name off my head but I'm more than positive there is worse than Lees miss. Plus i would love to put anyone of the forum member in the same position, and see how brave they would be and how many would finish it!!! Miller is human after all!!

I can think of games when Miller has won you points aswell, the equaliser against QPR, the winner in the last minute against Barnsley at the Gate, the goal against Rushden away!! He missed a chance, big deal, City's season this season is all if's buts and maybes, but one thing is for sure you cant blame Miller for the failed season!! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry but one miss does not count for us not going up.

the game on sunday was in our hands. we blew it. unlike QPR who were away to Sheff Weds on the final day of the season. Simple. We had our chance. now its gone. Lets just go up next season. and stay consistent like Plymouth did.

Well put Lord of the Bling!

For those that keep harping on about Millers miss..how many did the Lord Peacock miss, over the season then?-I believe one was in said Swindon game too! Not to mention just about every other player for the club...fact is we didnt play well enough during the season to go up...four or five games out of 50 or so games is not promotion material. We constantantly reckon we'll go up easily, but it never is, especially with DW's decisions this season!

Besides if we are talking about luck, consider Steve Phillips at Hartlepool, bloody lucky that wasnt it..could have been sent off!- and I'll bet its not the only let off we had either..bouncing off the inside of the bar Sunday anyone, with Phillips beaten too!!

Archived