IGNORED

Stead

Welcome To The Jungle

I definitely don't think the 'playing for a contract' scenario applies to Jon Stead - he's not the most prolific goal-scorer or the most outstanding at leading the line but he has his qualities and I'd back him to give 100% effort if he had ten years on his contract. He'll be missed if he goes but quite rightly City will be capping wages well below the level he is currently on.

Thought he was outstanding today and amazed he didn't get MotM.

Stead was outstanding but on the day, I'd have given MotM to Pearson because he seemed to be everywhere, breaking up play and setting up attacks. In truth, there were three or four candidates today which is a refreshing change from those weeks when the announcer dare not award it!

I'm the only one then....

I thought Stead was distinctly average today.

Amount of times he won the ball in the air: 0

Amount of times he played in a City player when they had clear chance: 0

Amount of times he attempted to play in a City player when they had clear chance: 3

Amount of efforts on goal that threatened: 0

Amount of times I thought he would threaten: 0

Amount of times he fell over when nudged: many

But, he ran around a lot so MotM!!! FFS.

Amount of times he attempted to play in a City player when they had clear chance: 3

Think you are mate. Stead was brilliant

To be fair to Chivs, he didn't mention his effort and commitment

Exactly! Although I did mention that he ran around a lot. However, if we're going to rate MotM for yesterday on running around a lot I'd put Pearson way better than Stead, and Maloney on a par.

I'm interested to know from the many on here what it is that Stead achieved that warrants a MotM or such adulation?

Cue more posts about his effort and commitment....

He held the ball up well, chased down long hopeless balls (including the one he played himself) set the tempo of the game and brought other players into it, Looked more lf an attaking threat than usual as when there was no options he ran at the defence, made him self a physical presence and stood his ground when being challenged, When your defending for most if the game or don't have possession as a striker you can find yourself lost, stead helped out defensively, when he lost a header he got back behind the ball and made it difficult for the opposition. That enough?

On yesterday's performance Stead>Davies

He held the ball up well, chased down long hopeless balls (including the one he played himself) set the tempo of the game and brought other players into it, Looked more lf an attaking threat than usual as when there was no options he ran at the defence, made him self a physical presence and stood his ground when being challenged, When your defending for most if the game or don't have possession as a striker you can find yourself lost, stead helped out defensively, when he lost a header he got back behind the ball and made it difficult for the opposition. That enough?

On yesterday's performance Stead>Davies

I completely agree - and dare I say that Stead in Baldock's place from the outset at Ewood Park might have got us something from that game also. I'm sure he didn't come to Bristol simply to fight for Championship survival but he has played a vital role in attaining it for the last two seasons and he looks up for doing it again. I think it unlikely that he will remain beyond his current contract but for no other reason than others will be willing and able to pay him more. Until then I am sure he will continue to be the model professional.

Archived