IGNORED

Millwall In Trouble I Think

M_Porter

Took my 7 year old daughter to the Dolman (A block) years ago, Against Brentford.

Haven't been to AG since. It was beyond embarrassing.

Nathan Abbey was in goal for Brentford, and his every touch was greeted with a shout of "GET BACK TO KENYA YOU BLACK ****"

The stewards chose to ignore the perpetrator and his coked-up mates, and whats the point of arguing? I was there with my daughter. And before any smartarses wonder why we were in the Dolman, It's because that was where I saw my first City match many years ago.

So before we condemn Millwall, Look closer to home.

I can't be absolutely certain it was this match ( though from what you say it seems very likely) but it was widely reported that 2 individuals were arrested for this very offence at a City v Brentford match about this time.

Was gonna post this. Unbelievable, really shocked me. Blatter was on about relegating teams who's fans are found guilty of racist abuse, which was interesting. Must say though I have never heard any racism at AG.

In the 1988 League Cup semi, Franz Carr received monkey chants from a lot of the Dolman every time he had the ball.

I also recall Morgan from Plymouth receiving "you black b*stard" chants when he brought down Bob Taylor.

One could argue it was the era, but AG was very bad at one time and quite embarrassing in today's terms.

The East End used to sing "The Red Flag" whilst giving a Nazi salute, even as a 14 year old I knew they were contradicting themselves.

Also in the 70s/80s many a time I heard "Pull pull pull a trigger" accompanied by it's wholly inappropriate rhyme.

Thankfully most of us have grown up.

In the 1988 League Cup semi, Franz Carr received monkey chants from a lot of the Dolman every time he had the ball.

I also recall Morgan from Plymouth receiving "you black b*stard" chants when he brought down Bob Taylor.

One could argue it was the era, but AG was very bad at one time and quite embarrassing in today's terms.

I have been going regularly since about 92 and I have only heard one piece of racism (2009 I think) directed toward Lita at AG where the bloke was shouted down and basically had to do a runner because everyone around him was so pissed off.

The worst racism I have ever heard at a City game was at west ham last year where there were multiple scummy gits that didn't look like they were part of the same group racially abusing anyone of any colour they saw - I have never been so ashamed to be a Bristol City supporter but I will add none of them sounded like they were from Bristol.

I have been going regularly since about 92 and I have only heard one piece of racism (2009 I think) directed toward Lita at AG where the bloke was shouted down and basically had to do a runner because everyone around him was so pissed off.

The worst racism I have ever heard at a City game was at west ham last year where there were multiple scummy gits that didn't look like they were part of the same group racially abusing anyone of any colour they saw - I have never been so ashamed to be a Bristol City supporter but I will add none of them sounded like they were from Bristol.

You didn't hear the "Small town in Asia" chants directed at fans of Leicester then? (- not specifically directed at you Pezo, just emphasising point 4 made by BCFC Mad above)

Took my 7 year old daughter to the Dolman (A block) years ago, Against Brentford.

Haven't been to AG since. It was beyond embarrassing.

Nathan Abbey was in goal for Brentford, and his every touch was greeted with a shout of "GET BACK TO KENYA YOU BLACK ****"

The stewards chose to ignore the perpetrator and his coked-up mates, and whats the point of arguing? I was there with my daughter. And before any smartarses wonder why we were in the Dolman, It's because that was where I saw my first City match many years ago.

So before we condemn Millwall, Look closer to home.

Unfortunately football mirrors all walks of life that you find anywhere. It stands to reason that whilst there are racist people in this world you will hear some racist comments at football matches (having said that I haven't heard a player being called a black so and so at the Gate for years to be fair). The same as you hear swearing and other social un-niceties.

I would say the percentage of truly racist people attending football matches is probably no different than you would encounter if you went for a few beers on any high street. It's a shame that a few people making anti-social comments incensed you so much that you have not been to the Gate since. They win in my opinion.

All football clubs can do is act if they receive reports of such behaviour. They can hardly ask you to fill out a questionnaire when you buy a ticket to ensure that your "politics" is not too extreme. You can't hide from this or any other form of anti-social behaviour - the answer is to do something about it not hide away for the next 20 years.

Archived