IGNORED

The Sags Or Cardiff..

Bris Red

''Bristol have helped kill it as a derby by never turning up in any numbers away. Became just another game.

Having a laugh 'in 'e?? If you look over last 10 seasons we have taken more to them than visa versa and this current season we are taking nearly 200 more selling out allocation with nearly 2 weeks before KO. They didn't even sell out....

I thought we weren't rivals any more? Make your minds up chaps!

Mainly the view of the under 30's I think. It's been a while since we were in the same division on a regular basis and some of the younger fans don't know what it's all about. I can't believe I work with a lad who has never seen a Bristol derby in the league , makes I feel proper old that !!

Mainly the view of the under 30's I think. It's been a while since we were in the same division on a regular basis and some of the younger fans don't know what it's all about. I can't believe I work with a lad who has never seen a Bristol derby in the league , makes I feel proper old that !!

He ain't the only one!

More is made of the Cardiff game because we haven't played Rovers in the same division in so long.

Truth be told if we were in the same division as Cardiff and the sags, it would be a non contest and everyone would say Rovers.

As the sags have failed to be opposition (never mind rivals) in recent years we have looked to our second favourite villains to fill the void.

More is made of the Cardiff game because we haven't played Rovers in the same division in so long.

Truth be told if we were in the same division as Cardiff and the sags, it would be a non contest and everyone would say Rovers.

As the sags have failed to be opposition (never mind rivals) in recent years we have looked to our second favourite villains to fill the void.

This.

How can they be considered rivals when they don't rival us in any way?

This.

How can they be considered rivals when they don't rival us in any way?

As someone who went to school in the 80s/90s. I can tell you your wrong. I'm taking a punt and am going to say you have never experienced losing regularly to those ****s?

I do understand your point, how can you consider them rivals when in your lifetime watching city they have not been rivals, for us slightly older I suspect they will always be considered number one rivals.

As someone who went to school in the 80s/90s. I can tell you your wrong. I'm taking a punt and am going to say you have never experienced losing regularly to those ****s?

I do understand your point, how can you consider them rivals when in your lifetime watching city they have not been rivals, for us slightly older I suspect they will always be considered number one rivals.

I do agree- Rovers will always be our main rivals in my eyes. and I only caught the tail end of playing them regularly.

But after that it is Cardiff for me and as we are playing them more regularly now it has become the game I look forward too.

Think it depends on two things: your age and where you're from. Being 21 I can hardly remember any games with Rovers, only a few exceptions, so because of that there is little competitive rivalry. Also not growing up in the Bristol area means that I know hardly any Rovers fans - fair play it must be annoying hearing them going on about how they're on the up, have fantastic away support bla bla bla, but I don't hear that too much, so they're a bit of an irrelevance for me.

I thought we weren't rivals any more? Make your minds up chaps!

I think most City fans consider Rovers to be our main rivals, however...

It's fun to watch you Gasheads stamp your little feet and get all flustered with your bottom lips wobbling when we tell you you're not our rivals anymore.

Saying that, I do know City fans who genuinely see Cardiff as bigger rivals. If you don't get promoted soon and back to our level (whether that is Championship or league 1) that number will grow. The pressure is on your lot if you want to be taken seriously, Danny Boy.

Saying that, I do know City fans who genuinely see Cardiff as bigger rivals. If you don't get promoted soon and back to our level (whether that is Championship or league 1) that number will grow. The pressure is on your lot if you want to be taken seriously, Danny Boy.

That's a fair point. We're going to try really hard now, local "derbies" against Cheltenham just don't do it for me. I find the Cardiff thing a bit one sided. Cardiff have always detested Swansea and vice versa. If Cardiff avoid blowing up again this year, they'll be playing their arch rivals again and I don't think they'll give a second thought to City or any other English team for that matter.

my top 3 in order are Rovers, Cardiff and Plymouth. The sags will always be my #1 rival. This topic has only been coming up lately as we play Cardiff twice a season and never play the scum anymore. The longer we go without playing the sags the more the rivalry will fade until we play them again (either the gap is closed or we draw them in the cup). Then i can imagine the rivalry being huge again.

imagine if the gas got 2 promotions in the next 3/4 years and we are still in the championship (not totally out the question with John Ward in charge). i really dont think anyone would consider Cardiff the main rival if both Bristol teams were in the Championship with the gas playing in a new 20,000 all seater stadium.

why does this come up everytime we play cardiff??

Who actually cares? They both hate eachother we hate both of them.. It's not rocket science

I think you've answered your post there.

I must admit that playing Rovers in the summer felt amazing and reminded me what i've been missing.

Cardiff is what i call a 'terrace' rival. It's not the rivalry and banter you have at Christmas with a gas relation, or in work on a Monday morning with colleagues. It's not that deep rooted. It's more of your 'independent' away supporter rivalry.

Plymouth are prime examples of 'terrace' rivals. The very fact that they've slipped into obscurity means a lot of newer will not really class them as rivals. But when i started going to away matches in the early/mid nineties, Plymouth were most definately A 'terrace' rival and that sting lingers on. The longer they are not relevant the more the rivalry fades. Thats the difference with Rovers, they are always there and will always be rivals until there hopeful demise.

Nothing comes close to the Gas in terms of rivalry. I'm looking forward to Cardiff on Sat but i don't have the same nerves as i get in the the lead up to the derby.

This. Cardiff have become a bigger rival over the last 10 years or so as we've played them more, but I'm not sat here with a knot in my stomach thinking it's the end of the world if we lose - like I always felt against the Gash. Maybe that's me getting older, I'm not sure. But nothing will ever beat a Bristol derby for me. I sometimes wonder if Cardiff was in England would there be as much fuss about it? I'm sure it's more of an England - Wales thing

As for someone saying that Cardiff don't care about us, don't kid yourself. They may have bigger fish to fry being top of the league, but they want to beat us as much as we want to beat them. On saying that, I'm sure they still see Swansea as much bigger rivals

This is why I can't stand Rovers, this is the sort of shite they come out with!

They have more thugs granted; not necessarily a considerably bigger fan base. BRFC, can muster 40,000 when needed, and thats quite a handy crew. Sheeds will never dominate the Gas and that is what they really ******** hate. We will always turn up in our thousands at trashton, they are so scared of the noise we make, they restrict our numbers. UTG

This is why I can't stand Rovers, this is the sort of shite they come out with!

They have more thugs granted; not necessarily a considerably bigger fan base. BRFC, can muster 40,000 when needed, and thats quite a handy crew. Sheeds will never dominate the Gas and that is what they really ******** hate. We will always turn up in our thousands at trashton, they are so scared of the noise we make, they restrict our numbers. UTG

OMG surely he can't be serious?!

Archived