IGNORED

Not So Obvious Bcfc Idols

zyderiup

Having a chat with a friend I hadn't seen for a very long time, we got chatting about going down the gate together with my old man and who our idols were. Funny enough, the main men at the time were Super Bob Taylor, Robbie Turner (especially post FA Cup Chelsea - plus Ronnie Sinclair) and Rob Newman. However, we were always massive fans of Dave Smith and Mark Gavin. Just thought I would get a topic going that focused on the players who YOU were excited to watch that didn't get the headlines.

Having a chat with a friend I hadn't seen for a very long time, we got chatting about going down the gate together with my old man and who our idols were. Funny enough, the main men at the time were Super Bob Taylor, Robbie Turner (especially post FA Cup Chelsea - plus Ronnie Sinclair) and Rob Newman. However, we were always massive fans of Dave Smith and Mark Gavin. Just thought I would get a topic going that focused on the players who YOU were excited to watch that didn't get the headlines.

All of the class of 89. I think Shelton though, a very exciting team held together with his know how in midfield. I honestly think we have never really replaced him.

Martin Scott. Proper left back. First and foremost he could defend and was a hard bugger. But he was equally adept at getting forward. We have had plenty of good attacking full hacks since, but none who were as good as Scott when it came to doing their first job of defending.

Matty Hill as a left sided centre back. The bloke covered so may cart horses we had playing along side him, and god could he leap tor a small un. Hard, fair and bloody hard to out muscle considering his size.

Nicky Morgan. Completely undervalued by the city faithful. Great forward who was unlucky enough to be under the shadow of Taylor. But did a whole lot more for us at a higher level than Taylor did.

For anyone who had the privilege to watch the 89/90 team, the combination of Smith's pace & Gavin's trickery was an absolute joy to behold. One move in particular (I think v. Wigan in a 3 or 4-0 win) in that season down the left turned defence into a goal in about 3 passes in 10 seconds. Great to watch them supply Turner & Taylor, with them both chipping in with a few themselves. Oh happy days.

Just like to back-up TRL (something about abbreviated named here?) in hero worshipping at the shrine of Shelton. Bearing in mind his job was made slightly more difficult in the fact he had to carry the not insignificantly sized Dave "You Camel" Rennie most weeks. 89/90 though. Hmmmm. Glenn Humphries. The real "Psycho". Isn't it? Marvellous.

God, I love old football.

Just like to back-up TRL (something about abbreviated named here?) in hero worshipping at the shrine of Shelton. Bearing in mind his job was made slightly more difficult in the fact he had to carry the not insignificantly sized Dave "You Camel" Rennie most weeks. 89/90 though. Hmmmm. Glenn Humphries. The real "Psycho". Isn't it? Marvellous.

God, I love old football.

Psycho's gonna get you. I loved Glenn.

Tinnion's Right Leg if you are interested. Old Rivals name :)

Oh I'll add Rob Edwards. Another player who played a huge part in us staying in div2/1 for a longish period. Often overlooked by fans. Hard running good tackler and not so shabby passer. Good player was Rob. Real unsung hero.

Nothing wrong with Dave Rennie! Went on to play in the Prem.

.indeed. tiny midfield needed someone strong in the air. That midfield complemented one another like no other I have seen since. The fact Newman and Rennie could interchange between cd and cm during a game made things very difficult for the opposition

He was of course hilarious (when compared to Biff strolling about being, well, good), but committed.

Alan Walsh Bending Bombshell it is and has been (albeit in acronised form, for many years) since in some time last millen(yikes!)nium.

Ah, Rivals; Mr Fernandes' Bristol City Web Centre? I remember Marvin Brown being worth £3 million and being excited at the signing of Mark Lever. :facepalm: .

Perhaps old football isn't as good as I remember?

No, no, there we are watching a cheeky grin from Andy May and all is right with the world.

He was of course hilarious (when compared to Biff strolling about being, well, good), but committed.

Alan Walsh Bending Bombshell it is and has been (albeit in acronised form, for many years) since in some time last millen(yikes!)nium.

Ah, Rivals; Mr Fernandes' Bristol City Web Centre? I remember Marvin Brown being worth £3 million and being excited at the signing of Mark Lever. :facepalm: .

Perhaps old football isn't as good as I remember?

No, no, there we are watching a cheeky grin from Andy May and all is right with the world.

Aye Ole's bristolcitynetcentre.

Andy May! He's a big bugger now. Still remember him scoring direct from a corner. Quite a tidy player. No Shelton though.

All of the class of 89. I think Shelton though, a very exciting team held together with his know how in midfield. I honestly think we have never really replaced him.

Martin Scott. Proper left back. First and foremost he could defend and was a hard bugger. But he was equally adept at getting forward. We have had plenty of good attacking full hacks since, but none who were as good as Scott when it came to doing their first job of defending.

Matty Hill as a left sided centre back. The bloke covered so may cart horses we had playing along side him, and god could he leap tor a small un. Hard, fair and bloody hard to out muscle considering his size.

Nicky Morgan. Completely undervalued by the city faithful. Great forward who was unlucky enough to be under the shadow of Taylor. But did a whole lot more for us at a higher level than Taylor did.

A ******* men to that my friend, I loved him he was as strong as an ox, very rarely got knocked off the ball, could hold the ball up with best of them, was great at bringing others into the game and an intelligent footballer must have been a managers and fellow strikers dream, only pity was we got him towards the end of his career.

Check out my Avitar, need I say more.

The type of midfield player we'd all like to see, all action, could tackle, make a pass and passionate for the cause.

I too thought Rougier was fantastic.

Aaron Brown for me was a real favourite and Kevin Amankwah.

I would groan when Carey was picked ahead of him at right back.

AB's run from our penalty area against the gas and the pin point cross for Tony Thorpe another favourite of mine was sublime

Some legends already mentioned, here are a few more memories......

Bobby Hutchinson for me is one of our greats.

Nicky Morgan's already had a mention but deserves another - a proper hard working, hold the ball up centre forward.

I always liked John McPhail.

Keith Waugh, Howard Pritchard, David Moyes, David Harle (in fact I'll probably just end up listing the entire Wembley winning team + Cooper, Middlemas, Lockhart). Proper City heroes of mine anyway, showing my age!!

This has me thinking about the really obscure City players. Who remembers these stars? David Tong, Steve "Rambo" Johnson and Jimmy Harvey.

Scott McGarvey - got loads of undeserved stick but was actually alright (silly hair though).

Same can be said of Steve Torpey (not the hair bit).

Carl Shutt was brilliant, worked almost as hard as Nicky Morgan.

Honourable mention to Dean Horrix - think he would have been a real favourite. Didn't Morgan effectively replace him? Maybe not, the memory ain't what it used to be.

I have absolutely loved watching:

(in no particular order)

Nicky Morgan, great control and grace!

Glyn Riley, sweat bands, hair, socks round ankles and wore no 6 up front!

Andy Llewellyn, boy did he care about our team!

Rob Newman, he cared even more!

Gary Shelton, tough, gave his all, scored goals!

Jimmy Mann, great shot on him, underrated!

And loads more, but those sort of unsung heroes made me proud to be a City fan....

Archived