IGNORED

Yeovil

stephenkibby.

You can't use the dross we've had since as an excuse for the last half a season under him, we were falling like a stone

Depends how you look at it, 3 losses in 7 games isn't falling like a stone. I just have a feeling that people got on his back a bit too hastily.

I'm not using what we've had since as an excuse, I'm saying with the benefit of hindsight he should have stayed. Hopefully O'Driscoll can be as successful as him at this level, keep us up and then who knows.

Only my opinion.

I specifically meant on strikers. Only maynard really scored on a regular basis. Dont think anybody else managed double figures for a season in the championship under johnson did they?

Must have done in a couple of million on loan fees and related wages alone

Point taken on strikers but "with little reward" seemed a bit harsh

Depends how you look at it, 3 losses in 7 games isn't falling like a stone. I just have a feeling that people got on his back a bit too hastily.

I'm not using what we've had since as an excuse, I'm saying with the benefit of hindsight he should have stayed. Hopefully O'Driscoll can be as successful as him at this level, keep us up and then who knows.

Only my opinion.

Point taken on strikers but "with little reward" seemed a bit harsh

We'd had a season/season and a half of going backwards in terms of playing style/watchable football, and GJ hadn't shown any ability in rectifying that, even with several transfer windows/close season opportunity to do so. I'm surprised people didn't get on his back earlier. Personally I lost faith in him 15 months before he went.

It could be that Gary is one of that rare breed of manager who works best on a small budget.

Once the purse-strings were loosened a bit, he was talked into buying some utter mules.

I always thought he was a good manager, but I don't look back with rose-tinted specs at his last two seasons. How often did we watch us trying to sit back and defend a 1-0 lead for 35 minutes only for the inevitable....

True, but how often have we had 1-0 leads to defend since he's left. We also broke quickly in his days, so sitting on a 1-0 lead was not as defensive as it could have been. Look at the scorelines for 2005-2010, we got a lot of goals, but more crucially you see few Losses as we managed to keep tight and make the majority of potential losses into Draws. Since then you can see a sea of red losses where we lost the ability to defend and grind out draws. Those 14+ points from draws are what we really, really miss as they have turned into losses.

how about 4 wins in 23

Cant argue with that - almost ready to surrender...

We'd had a season/season and a half of going backwards in terms of playing style/watchable football, and GJ hadn't shown any ability in rectifying that, even with several transfer windows/close season opportunity to do so. I'm surprised people didn't get on his back earlier. Personally I lost faith in him 15 months before he went.

....but what we had since didn't change that as we've had about 4 close seasons where arguably the right players haven't been bought in so I'm suggesting that if Johnson had stayed we would have had continuity if nothing else - which is more than what we've had if you see where I'm coming from.

How does GJ manage to find a gem of a striker for peanuts and scores every week. Yet when he was here, millions were spent with little reward.

How does GJ manage to find a gem of a striker for peanuts and scores every week. Yet when he was here, millions were spent with little reward.

..maybe the answer is in the question..perhaps he is better at having to winkle out a gem rather than have cash on the hip..guess some people just work better that way.

Archived