IGNORED

Is Albert A Luxury?

Lordofthebling

Albert is a fantastic player, there's no doubt about it. But a few of us on the train home were discussing his performance last night compared to Bolasie's,..

We are in a relegation scrap, and with the poor midfield we have, can we keep giving Albert the ball to 'have a run' and possibly lose possession?

Give the ball to Albert and the long ball to Stead seem to be our only two options.

The theory seemed to be that Palace's central players were much better than ours, affording them the space, security and time to pass to Zaha or Yannick and say "off you go"...

So the main questions that came up were; as much as we all rate Albert - is he the right player for where we are right now?

Cold, Tuesday night; away from home, against a quality team, would you have played Albert? Ifs and buts, but if all players were fit, would he get in your team?

Is Albert a good enough passer of the ball to consistently get into a SOD team?

Would we have been better putting Howard in midfield and Anderson behind Stead last night?

Are we too predictable and dependant on him when he does play?

Were we better when Albert was at the ACON?

A few good discussions, so I thought I'd throw it out to OTIB.

I still think Albert is a vital part of our team. He gives us a another dimension going forward and can provide that moment of magic to nick a goal when sitting back playing defensively like last night.

What we need is midfielders who can pass a football, rather than Elliott and Pearson. We cannot hope to regularly win games with both of them in the same team, we just won't see enough of the ball.

I appreciate that a midfield of Howard, Kilkenny and Kelly might be vulnerable when we haven't got the ball, but surely at least one of the first two should be starting?

Bcfc Tim - the problem is sometimes he's our only dimension. I'm not sure on this one but I'll go with whatever S O'D thinks is best.

Our play is one dimensional, but arguably; Albert himself is quite one dimensional too. Im not criticising, but he is a head down, and run - an old fashioned winger...

He rarely puts a good pass together or a one two. Those aren't his traits at this moment in his career. He hasn't got a shot on him, so he looks to get past his marker and cross...

Would we be better taking away that predictability and reliability on a 'winger', and trying to (at least) pass the ball through midfield?

When Albert is on form he is great and exciting to watch. Other teams have worked him out ages ago, especially palace, so can so easily stifle him. If he is stifled so are we. Game over. I would have been tempted to leave him out and start with Howard and Anderson as bling suggested, make Palace at least guess rather than hand it to hem on a plate.

I get the feeling from the little SoD has said about Albert that he is not his type of player unless he can give more in his all round game. So I think it will be thank you and goodbye in the summer.

Another point is that it felt we were already a league one club last night now players like Elliott, Fontaine, Nyatangle, Pearson, Foster etc feature so regularly. It feels like we have come full circle with some of those players and made no progress. Certainly Adomah is a step above this so I can't see him wanting to stay no matter what.

Albert is a fantastic player, there's no doubt about it. But a few of us on the train home were discussing his performance last night compared to Bolasie's,..

We are in a relegation scrap, and with the poor midfield we have, can we keep giving Albert the ball to 'have a run' and possibly lose possession?

Give the ball to Albert and the long ball to Stead seem to be our only two options.

The theory seemed to be that Palace's central players were much better than ours, affording them the space, security and time to pass to Zaha or Yannick and say "off you go"...

So the main questions that came up were; as much as we all rate Albert - is he the right player for where we are right now?

Cold, Tuesday night; away from home, against a quality team, would you have played Albert? Ifs and buts, but if all players were fit, would he get in your team?

Would we have been better putting Howard in midfield and Anderson behind Stead last night?

The problem isn't Albert it is a midfield of Pearson and Elliott who can barely pass a ball 5 yards.

On tonights performance Bolasie was a country mile better than Albert, I bet Palace fans cant believe they were after him. However if they still want him in the summer get rid but make sure he get their no20 Williams as part of the deal another one of their academy players that they constantly produce and more importantly play. He was superb in midefield during the first half most of the plays went through him he could take players on and his was very quick. Oh how city have needed a player like this for absolute years instead of three relatively static players like our midfield last night.

Albert's strongest and possibly only asset is getting the ball on the outside, cutting in and taking some defenders with him in the process then slipping the ball through for a runner.

He did it several times for Pitman who had the nouse to make the run, but we haven't seen that recently and Baldock/Anderson are realistically the only players who are gonna make that sort of movement for him.

I think burns looked a little better than Albert last night, I think Albert looked a little off his game. That being said it wasnt a game that had much going forwards in the end.

But Albert has to be a vital part of our team, so does Davies in my opinion.

I've been saying this for months. Don't get me wrong, he is a fantastic player going forward, but because he is so lost in our team, it almost makes him redundant. He almost doesnt fit our style of play and almost becomes a weakness (if that makes any sense?). Great player to watch, but a complete luxury in a team that needs to be solid rather than flair based.

When Albert is on form he is great and exciting to watch. Other teams have worked him out ages ago, especially palace, so can so easily stifle him. If he is stifled so are we. Game over. I would have been tempted to leave him out and start with Howard and Anderson as bling suggested, make Palace at least guess rather than hand it to hem on a plate.

I get the feeling from the little SoD has said about Albert that he is not his type of player unless he can give more in his all round game. So I think it will be thank you and goodbye in the summer.

Another point is that it felt we were already a league one club last night now players like Elliott, Fontaine, Nyatangle, Pearson, Foster etc feature so regularly. It feels like we have come full circle with some of those players and made no progress. Certainly Adomah is a step above this so I can't see him wanting to stay no matter what.

Nail on the head. Each time Albert went near the ball last night Palarse had two players sat in his pockets immediatly tackling. He had nowhere to run, and it killed any chance we had of an attack. They did the same with Stead.

5 goals and 8 assists. He's our only tactic when he plays. Maybe we rely on him too much?!

The problem is that the rest of our players don't take advantage when Albert is doubled. They still hoof it or play it to Albert when he's in a dead end.

I'm hopeful that Anderson could be a decent threat on the left but really when your midfield has Elliot and Pearson in you're not going to keep the ball much.

The problem is that the rest of our players don't take advantage when Albert is doubled. They still hoof it or play it to Albert when he's in a dead end.

I'm hopeful that Anderson could be a decent threat on the left but really when your midfield has Elliot and Pearson in you're not going to keep the ball much.

I agree with the point about Pearson and Elliot. Pearson is just woeful. Elliot is the hassle, the muscle in the team at the moment; but he is a shadow of the Marvin that used to do this in league one. He seems a few pounds heavier as well, but I digress...

Back to Adomah. We do hoof it to albert, possibly a throw back of the murray/tinnion days.

When the pass it to Albert, he is unable to play that one touch pass, or creative ball, which means when he turns, head down to run; he gets tackled.

Personally, passing is a major weak spot to Albert and I don't think pace and skill is enough for SOD.

Good Player.

But we are a better TEAM without him, when he's playing there is too much temptation for player to....if in doubt give it to Albert.

I must admit I think I agree. I would love to see Albert and an Albert mk2 on the left, but as a team, with the players and their limited attributes, it's just not going to happen right now.

I think we must be harder to break down as a team with an extra midfielder in there... Not pretty though and very negative.

The theory seemed to be that Palace's central players were much better than ours, affording them the space, security and time to pass to Zaha or Yannick and say "off you go"...in a relegation battle i do feel he is a luxury-drops too deep to get the ball and mostly loses possesion..im not saying he isnt talented,just some players arnt suited to a scrap which is what were in..

i think he is a luxury we cant afford as a match starter-some players however talented dont suit the scrap..he drops deep to get the ball then mostly loses posession..just seems to run with it untill dispossessed.the three wins at home came in decent style without him-would go without Albert saturday.

Personally, passing is a major weak spot to Albert and I don't think pace and skill is enough for SOD.

That's the bottom line (literally!).

Albert will be gone in the summer and I don't think SOD will be too gutted by this and probably welcome the opportunity to use the money to bring in some technically gifted players who can keep the ball.

I must admit I am enjoying people feeling they are qualified to speak for O'Driscoll and suggesting that he won't rate Albert due to being a 'luxury', 'one dimensional' or 'old fashioned'.

Now I fully accept that you have to take a quote from a manager about one of their current players with a pinch of salt, but these are some of the quotes offered up from SO'D about Albert:

"He carries the ball really well and can get you up the pitch, he works hard and has a fist-class attitude. He is not one of those typical wingers who stands out wide and is a waste of space if he does not get the ball. He is a modern-day winger, who can work in all the key areas of the pitch.

He can defend with his full-back, work hard in midfield and be creative in the final third"

and;

"It is like having a new player in the transfer window, except he is someone you never think you can afford or possibly attract"

"He is a great asset to have and, like everyone else, we have to make sure we can use him in a position he feels he can do well".

Albert was poor last night, although playing on the wing while having to rely on the 'service' from our midfield last night is a tankless task. I would also like to point out for anyone who feels he offers his right back no defensive cover that at one stage last night we were on the attack, Palace won the ball and hoofed it clear to Murray, he won the flick on and stood next to him on the half way line were both Zaha and Bolasie. There is no way that Albert is afforded the luxury of staying so far up the pitch when we are defending.

I do find it hard to believe that fans of a team that has not scored a goal of their own away from home since January 1st can attempt to label their greatest attacking threat a 'luxury'. As I said on another thread the other day, should we always show the desire we showed in our three home wins, we always get the portions of luck that we got in our three homes wins and we defend as well as we did in our three home wins then I agree, Albert may not be required. But I don't think it needs me to point out that we don't always have those three things to rely on.

If Albert hadn't played last night and we had shown as little attacking intent SOD would be getting slaughtered on here for not playing him.

We haven't looked like scoring away from home in ages a lot of which has been without Albert.

Personally I think Albert tends to do a good job away from home, at least the "give it to Albert" takes slightly longer for the ball to come back at us (so we can try and push out a bit more), than the "panic and hoof it anywhere" we adopt without him.

I must admit I am enjoying people feeling they are qualified to speak for O'Driscoll and suggesting that he won't rate Albert due to being a 'luxury', 'one dimensional' or 'old fashioned'.

Now I fully accept that you have to take a quote from a manager about one of their current players with a pinch of salt, but these are some of the quotes offered up from SO'D about Albert:

"He carries the ball really well and can get you up the pitch, he works hard and has a fist-class attitude. He is not one of those typical wingers who stands out wide and is a waste of space if he does not get the ball. He is a modern-day winger, who can work in all the key areas of the pitch.

He can defend with his full-back, work hard in midfield and be creative in the final third"

and;

"It is like having a new player in the transfer window, except he is someone you never think you can afford or possibly attract"

"He is a great asset to have and, like everyone else, we have to make sure we can use him in a position he feels he can do well".

Albert was poor last night, although playing on the wing while having to rely on the 'service' from our midfield last night is a tankless task. I would also like to point out for anyone who feels he offers his right back no defensive cover that at one stage last night we were on the attack, Palace won the ball and hoofed it clear to Murray, he won the flick on and stood next to him on the half way line were both Zaha and Bolasie. There is no way that Albert is afforded the luxury of staying so far up the pitch when we are defending.

I do find it hard to believe that fans of a team that has not scored a goal of their own away from home since January 1st can attempt to label their greatest attacking threat a 'luxury'. As I said on another thread the other day, should we always show the desire we showed in our three home wins, we always get the portions of luck that we got in our three homes wins and we defend as well as we did in our three home wins then I agree, Albert may not be required. But I don't think it needs me to point out that we don't always have those three things to rely on.

Points well made, but I can understand the argument of those that say; when fit, there could be other players that would get in the midfield above Albert for a match away against Palace.

Irrelevant as players aren't fit you might say, but an interesting debate.

SOD is always going to say positive things about our biggest asset.

Points well made, but I can understand the argument of those that say; when fit, there could be other players that would get in the midfield above Albert for a match away against Palace.

Those same arguments could be used to say Albert shouldn't have started in away games at Middlesbrough or Watford. In both of those games he was the best player on the pitch.

Agree, quality player but we won games with out him by playing good football. Why change something that seemed to be working?

I personally didn't go last night but my mate did and said we were rubbish. Reverting to long ball and give it to Albert.

Palace have quality but also make it hard for teams to put 2 men on either YB or WZ as that would then leave the centre open. We have Albert and that's it so easy for teams to take him out of the game. Leave him out and bring him on could be good but I certainly feel we have changed are tactics to suit him which didn't work. Maybe it will be different sat but I don't think so, much rather see 442 with out Albert than 1 upfront with him on the pitch

Archived