IGNORED

John Bailey...over The Worst...

BS4 on Tour...

T'was only last week that I mentioned on another thread how John always had the time to sign my programmes and have a little chat with me before a match when I was a kid.

A memory that has stayed with me all this time. Proper player who connected with the faithful and I am pleased to hear he's on the mend.

Never forget the goal he scored at Crewe in Joe Jordan's promotion season... 35 yard screamer

get well soon

That night was my 15th birthday, my old man and me were stood on a metal barrier at the back of the City end. Crewe battered us for just about the whole 90 mins then Bailey produced a wonder goal to win the match. Great memories, is this match on You Tube? I would love to see that goal again.

I was in the home end at Twerton (only ticket I could get) on the day of the promotion derby. We got stuffed but my abiding memory of that game is JB getting seriously injured and swallowing his tongue right in front of us. I can't possibly repeat what the sags were singing at him as the physio and players were helping him, but it was sickening. Best wishes John.

• Admin

Glad to hear that he's on the mend. What a nice guy, when he was playing for us, he could often be found in a Bedminstar pub, not one in particular, he liked to wander around. Shared a few drinks with him in the Tap and Barrel, the General Elliott and the Black Cat just to name three. A real gent with absolutely no airs and graces, not sure what he must make of the modern prima donnas.

Glad to hear that he's on the mend. What a nice guy, when he was playing for us, he could often be found in a Bedminstar pub, not one in particular, he liked to wander around. Shared a few drinks with him in the Tap and Barrel, the General Elliott and the Black Cat just to name three. A real gent with absolutely no airs and graces, not sure what he must make of the modern prima donnas.

Same here when he popped into The Star for a "couple". Great bloke who could walk around Bedminster pubs have a laugh with fans. How many of today's crop would do that?

Same here when he popped into The Star for a "couple". Great bloke who could walk around Bedminster pubs have a laugh with fans. How many of today's crop would do that?

Fair play to John, he used to see my Great Uncle (who was in his 70's) in The Star in Bemmie, and talk City with him - top bloke.

I think it was through my Uncle via John that I managed to get a signed Birthday card from all the players. See, there is benefit in players going to pubs and drinking :-)

There's also a great story about Buster Footman replacing JB's four pack with a brick, and when JB got the train back to Liverpool, he wasn't too pleased to not find his bevvies !!!

Archived