IGNORED

Supporters Club & Trust - Otib

thatcham red

www.otib.co.uk (‘One Team in Bristol’) has operated for over ten years as the major online forum for fans of Bristol City to share their passion for the City’s leading football club. The forum has over 10,000 registered members. The football club handed the message board to the Supporters Trust in early in 2006, for which it has to fundraise to pay the running costs.

All forum members sign up to strict rules of conduct aimed at making the forum a place on which passionate but well-mannered debate can take place. Volunteer moderators monitor users’ posts and take action as necessary, ranging from making minor modifications to deleting the post and, in extreme cases, banning the user. The forum moderators take their role very seriously and always endeavour to strike the right balance between providing a vehicle for lively debate and ensuring that users act responsibly. On the whole, we would not support any intervention in free speech.

We have not seen anything that is libellous or illegal. However, some recent posts have been pushing the boundaries and we feel that it is timely to remind posters of their responsibility here. For example, it is illegal to use flares in football grounds. The Supporters Club & Trust did at one time explore with the football club the possible controlled use of coloured smoke in front of the stands at Ashton Gate, but this could not be agreed for safety reasons.Therefore, it is ill advised to publicise where to buy flares or smoke bombs and state an intention to take them to away games on a public forum.

I am sure you will join me in helping to ensure that OTIB is around for the next 10 years and post responsibly.

Stu Rogers

Chair Bristol City Supporters Club and Trust

Don't even think about mentioning standing and singing then were all done for

You just don't get it do you?

The flares thread started with someone enquiring about how to carry out an illegal act which others then joined in promoting or encouraging. Given the liabilities the forum operators have I am amazed the thread stayed open for as long as it did.

The discussions on standing mainly revolve around piloting safe standing in the new stadium, nothing illegal involved.

Your mentioning singing just confuses me.

Some posters on here would be well advised to understand where they stand legally when they make a post. Just a bit of advice like.

You just don't get it do you?

The flares thread started with someone enquiring about how to carry out an illegal act which others then joined in promoting or encouraging. Given the liabilities the forum operators have I am amazed the thread stayed open for as long as it did.

The discussions on standing mainly revolve around piloting safe standing in the new stadium, nothing illegal involved.

Your mentioning singing just confuses me.

Some posters on here would be well advised to understand where they stand legally when they make a post. Just a bit of advice like.

You really think that kind of thing only gets arranged on this forum ? City fans do talk in person , this forum has no say in what will and won't be taken To football matches

You really think that kind of thing only gets arranged on this forum ? City fans do talk in person , this forum has no say in what will and won't be taken To football matches

No but as the Supporters Club and Trust are responsible for the funding of this forum, we also have a duty to mention things that could lead to legal action being taken against us. At the end of the day, it could be our heads on the block.

People plan all sorts of illegal things in person , I doubt if they compromise the position of others on a public forum.

Cockney rhyming slang was invented by crooks trying to fool the police , maybe in the future you should refer to the items as Lionel Blairs.

It's very rare we remove or close posts these days, so just appreciate that when we do it's because there is fairly serious reasons behind it. It's not just the flare thread for that matter it's 2-3 threads where we've had a number of issues.

Let's be honest. There are a significant minority of muppets in the crowd I wouldn't trust with safety matches (or Play Doh for that matter), why on earth would anybody let them have flares? It is probably perfectly safe 99 times out of 100, but I'd bet one of the small minority of tits that fancy themselves as pwoper nawty will find a way to make it dangerous. You have to bet on the lowest common denominator and that's pretty low here.

Let's be honest. There are a significant minority of muppets in the crowd I wouldn't trust with safety matches (or Play Doh for that matter), why on earth would anybody let them have flares? It is probably perfectly safe 99 times out of 100, but I'd bet one of the small minority of tits that fancy themselves as pwoper nawty will find a way to make it dangerous. You have to bet on the lowest common denominator and that's pretty low here.

Yes, it's all a question of IQ, or Idiot Quotient. I'd say it's about 2%, but that's often quite enough ;)

If people can't obey forum rules, ban them, simple really. You sign up and agree to terms and conditions, if you break them then complain.... well you get what is coming.

I don't see the problem people have with mods taking exception to things like this. If you don't like it, don't sign up to the forum, set your own forum up.

But it's sooooooooooo tasty :wacko:

• Admin

The flares thread started with someone enquiring about how to carry out an illegal act which others then joined in promoting or encouraging.

But there is nothing illegal in discussing anything?

On a forum surely only Slander / Libel are the only things that should be monitored?

I would have thought that there is some disclaimer on here somewhere saying that the views posted are those of the individual and not of the Supporters club or Trust?

Grown men who have a problem with authority?

Am sure people in those countries would really agree with that

But there is nothing illegal in discussing anything?

On a forum surely only Slander / Libel are the only things that should be monitored?

I would have thought that there is some disclaimer on here somewhere saying that the views posted are those of the individual and not of the Supporters club or Trust?

Am sure people in those countries would really agree with that

No that's right, if it had been a discussion on how flares add or detract from atmosphere at sports events, the risks involved and so on then I don't think there would have been a problem; but when it is a thread actively promoting the purchase and use of flares and smoke bombs it goes beyond a general discussion.

I think you will find the liabilities of the forum operator go beyond libel and I believe the disclaimer is a bit of a chocolate fireguard. I am certainly not a great fan of the Supporters Trust, but I very much appreciate the effort put into keeping the forum going.

There is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech, it always comes with social responsibility. Abuse it and it goes away.

Because myself and others spoke about flares you really think OB would 'track out IP addresses' ! O wow :laugh:

Very unlikey, unless something happened to go wrong when they were ignited, then you could be getting a knock at the door!

You take your chances. In all likelyhood nothing will happen, but if you are that unlucky 1% and something happens. Don't complain if you are fingered (oo err missus)

Very unlikey, unless something happened to go wrong when they were ignited, then you could be getting a knock at the door!

You take your chances. In all likelyhood nothing will happen, but if you are that unlucky 1% and something happens. Don't complain if you are fingered (oo err missus)

Please tell me ..... What chances am I taking ? I have never said I'm bringing one to the game and igniting one

Archived