IGNORED

If We Were In "the Dragons" Position...

TBW

What would you do?

If our home colour was changed to white for example with a red away kit?

Then what would you do if our name was changed (keep the 'Bristol' but lose 'City')?

Honestly just intrigued and what other people would do in this situation really. I think the name change would cause me personally to lose all heart for the club and I'd move on to follow another side or look at doing what Wimbledon did.

Never do what Wimbledon did I would rather my team be non league, and so did a lot of Wimbledon fans hence them not going with mk dons and choosing non league Wimbledon afc. But a small brand change probably not to the extent of Cardiff, with there Malaysia flags all over the ground,but where a lot of money is invested for the sake of a small change like colour of shirt I would take that for the chance of premier league football

So we would play in white at home and red away - so our colours would still be red/white and we would be Bristol - which a lot of people call us anyway, and is pretty relevant now the blue lot are leaving Bristol........ and in return we get Premier League football - if that was it then where do I sign up !! Hell my favourite City kits have been the white ones.... both real and fan made.

Bristol+City+v+Nottingham+Forest+npower+bristol_city_2.pngcitykits1011white.jpgBCFCAway.pngbristol_city_2012-2013-away.gif

I wouldn't accept it because we've seen how it goes. First the colours, then the nickname, then the club name. It's not CCFC any more, and it wouldn't be BCFC either.

Sorry, but I couldn't support Bristol Goats (the "billy-goats") playing in Azerbaijani blue/red/green hoops, how ever much money flowed in from a goat breeder in Azerbaijan.

Red or dead for me.

COME ON YOU REDS!!

I wouldn't accept it because we've seen how it goes. First the colours, then the nickname, then the club name. It's not CCFC any more, and it wouldn't be BCFC either.

Sorry, but I couldn't support Bristol Goats (the "billy-goats") playing in Azerbaijani blue/red/green hoops, how ever much money flowed in from a goat breeder in Azerbaijan.

Red or dead for me.

COME ON YOU REDS!!

How about if we were re-branded as the 'Hartcliffe Hedgehogs'? You wouldn't know which way to turn!

How about if we were re-branded as the 'Hartcliffe Hedgehogs'? You wouldn't know which way to turn!

Playing in brown and white, the "Hedgepigs", with our famous chant -

SNUFFLE SNUFFLE SNUFFLE SNORT SNORT SNORT!!

;)

Curiously, I met a lass from Hartcliffe looking after the hedgehogs at Secret World. Her ma called them "hedgepigs", just as Shakespeare did...

What would you do?

Then what would you do if our name was changed (keep the 'Bristol' but lose 'City')?

Honestly just intrigued and what other people would do in this situation really. I think the name change would cause me personally to lose all heart for the club and I'd move on to follow another side or look at doing what Wimbledon did.

What if this happened the same year as we were promoted into the Premiership?

Considering some on here are actually serious on boycotting games and demonstrating outside the Directors entrance when we go on our traditional mid season slump down the league theres no way in a million years we would put up with this...bottom line is we actually all love this club a bit too much and take everything so serious and I just can't see the core fans allowing it. The fans would voice their anger at Ashton Gate without doubt.

The problem the traditionalists over the river have is that their Season Tickets are sold out for next season with a hefty waiting list. For every traditional Bluebird that walks away, a Johnny come lately will take their place. Tan has got them over a barrel TBH and I have real sympathy for their core, traditional fans.

If Tan were to walk away and they started drifting back down the leagues, how many would be left? Not many I should guess as the originals would be gone and the newbies would go back to supporting Man U and Liverpool from their armchairs.

Tan is playing with their future, not just their present IMHO.

Would I follow Bristol Bullets in white? Not a chance in hell!

Cardiff have a problem that they are only invited into the English league. If they were to create a new team ala afc Wimbledon they may not be accepted into the English league system. This means they would have to join the Welsh league and we all know how bad that is.

f I was experiencing what the cardiff lot are, I'd be part of the 20% who lost their affinity with the club - and the new owners would write me off as collateral damage.

It's a price not worth paying to get into a league that I don't particularly enjoy watching IMO.

This.

The reason I support Bristol City is deeper than a desire for glory or the chance to see the best players in the world on the team/playing against the team or being on TV a lot or playing in European competition,

It is about my identity, it is about where I'm from, it's about history. The name of the club and the colours that the team wears are both about the cumulative support for the institution, given by many generations the people who've backed it since its foundation and will do so into the future, god-willing.

I would never accept a change of our main identifying colour (red), a side-lining of our primary symbol (the robin) and certainly not team name (Bristol CITY) for any reason, and certainly not investment, regardless of circumstances. And in this I am cold-heartedly, deadly serious and immovable.

If an investor demanded that we alter our colours for personal or 'branding' reasons (such as Cardiff-formally-City) to, say, purple I would turn face and never, ever return nor follow the club. MY club would have died. It would be a different entity.

This is not just for personal reasons but because what it represents in a wider sence. To me it would be a trashing of the cumulative generations of support, pride and goodwill towards the institution; a slap in the face of those who put their money and hearts into the club when it suffered bad times and when soared its highest.

I pray we never face this situation, but it is my opinion that the Cardiff City originally formed as Riverside AFC in 1899 and who adopted their current name after Cardiff received city status in 1907 DIED the day a inorganic change for selfish marketing reasons was made to their crest and colours. And I would say the same about City if it happened to us.

Any supporter of what replaced it supports something else. Even Glasgow Rangers and other clubs forced to dissolve and reform in the lower divisions retain their identify via kit, name and crest. Those thing matter far more than glory or cash.

The Red Robins of Bristol City forever, no compromise.

Who has let football get like this? The answer is the fans, who have put up with almost any level of disruption and change in the hope of glory. Fans have bought into the corruption of football that is the premier league, and these are the consequences. It's a bit late to be protesting about it now.

This.

The reason I support Bristol City is deeper than a desire for glory or the chance to see the best players in the world on the team/playing against the team or being on TV a lot or playing in European competition,

It is about my identity, it is about where I'm from, it's about history. The name of the club and the colours that the team wears are both about the cumulative support for the institution, given by many generations the people who've backed it since its foundation and will do so into the future, god-willing.

I would never accept a change of our main identifying colour (red), a side-lining of our primary symbol (the robin) and certainly not team name (Bristol CITY) for any reason, and certainly not investment, regardless of circumstances. And in this I am cold-heartedly, deadly serious and immovable.

If an investor demanded that we alter our colours for personal or 'branding' reasons (such as Cardiff-formally-City) to, say, purple I would turn face and never, ever return nor follow the club. MY club would have died. It would be a different entity.

This is not just for personal reasons but because what it represents in a wider sence. To me it would be a trashing of the cumulative generations of support, pride and goodwill towards the institution; a slap in the face of those who put their money and hearts into the club when it suffered bad times and when soared its highest.

I pray we never face this situation, but it is my opinion that the Cardiff City originally formed as Riverside AFC in 1899 and who adopted their current name after Cardiff received city status in 1907 DIED the day a inorganic change for selfish marketing reasons was made to their crest and colours. And I would say the same about City if it happened to us.

Any supporter of what replaced it supports something else. Even Glasgow Rangers and other clubs forced to dissolve and reform in the lower divisions retain their identify via kit, name and crest. Those thing matter far more than glory or cash.

The Red Robins of Bristol City forever, no compromise.

Great post Samo and very eloquently put. I totally agree with you.

Purely as a devils' advocate, the dilemma faced by fans of the now gone CCFC some time ago was 'Tans' way or die'. At least that's how I understood it. When faced with that dilemma, would we accept it? To have a club (albeit in a different guise) or no club at all? I'm not sure how our core support would answer that TBH.

Bristol Bullets or no club? I really don't know what the majority would say if those were the only available options.

EDIT: Sorry, I cocked up the quote from Samo!. :dunno:

If the owners delivered Premier League football. Would you be more likely to accept a re-branding?

But the big diffrence is Mr Tan bought into a club thats been knocking on the door for a few seasons now, its not as if he's transformed them from an average Championship side to a Premiership bound super club is it.

Shrewd move by Mr Tan :D

If the owners delivered Premier League football. Would you be more likely to accept a re-branding?

Never, some things are more important. The Premier League is not worth completely selling out and losing your identity, if that was the way it had to be done then let the likes of The Dragons carry on, but hopefully never us.

I would be helping Portland Bill at the turnstiles.

What would you do?

I would fight it tooth and nail, not just whine about it but actively campaign and make the depth of feeling clear.

If we still lost the argument, I'd stay away. Maybe for good.

You can't just rebrand a football club and expect people to identify with it, people who think that way do not understand the game at all.

It's not like some plastic American franchise sport.

If I was that desperate to watch Premier league football I would have given up on City a while back.

The closest team to where I grew up is Stoke City and I've lived in Manchester for 10+ years, I could easily pick a premier league team that I have little to no connection to.

My point being Bristol City are my team, I've followed them my whole life and I have a connection to them that I just don't with any other team.

Take away being Bristol City and what it's about to be Bristol City....... they might as well be any other team, regardless of how successful they become.

Archived