IGNORED

Dollar Billionaire!

zippycar

Well if he's got so much value, what's chances of him maybe writing off the club's debt at some point instead of leaving a £40m+ debt in place, a debt that he's built up.

No one man is bigger than Bristol City FC. Steve's legacy and memory will be decided on the condtion of the club when he moves on.

I do agree with that, yes. There is every chance that we'd be in that league or struggling in bottom end of league one. It's all ifs and buts though. Our losses have been substantial and we've not had to sell our top players like a lot of others have.

Why would you think that. With or without lansdown, city will have always been a big fish in a little pond in league 1.

Our losses have been substantial because of lansdown's over spend on mediocrity. They were not substantial before he took over, and we were constantly pushing for promotion. You seem to forget, the only time we were in any danger of relegation to l2 was under Lansdown's stewardship, again appointing tinnion and yet again letting him spend loads on mediocrity.

Lansdown is not the saviour you think he is. He has put us in this situation, no one else. He may have done it for good reasons, but that doesn't hide the fact he still did it. Before he took the reigns, our books were not bad.

Ugh. Just *ugh*

Us oldies grew up knowing the game as 'soccer' in the 1960s. There was no US connotation to the word at all. I believe the word soccer originated at Oxford University in the late 1890s as an abbreviation of 'association' (as in football) and sat alongside 'rugger' for rugby football.

Soccer is a far better name for our game than football, which can cover at least five different types of games (association, rugby, american, australian-rules, gaelic - have I forgotten any?). Can't see a problem with the word myself.

Maybe, but we were going nowhere as a club without an injection of serious cash. That's just the way football is.

I disagree. We as a club with our attendances will always have been one if not the biggest in that division. The problem is/was getting in the right players, we went down the route of buying pissheads, then spent an eternity getting rid of them, then buying over priced old or injured players.

We could and should have got up to this standard way before , with the right manager and players. If we would, would we have stayed up?! who knows, probably not. But the thought, that we would be a League 2 side, or scrabbling around the bottom of league 1 if it wasn't for Lansdown, imo is complete and utter bollocks. We in most likelyhood would have been a play off, promotion contender, with maybe a promotion and a relegation.

Us oldies grew up knowing the game as 'soccer' in the 1960s. There was no US connotation to the word at all. I believe the word soccer originated at Oxford University in the late 1890s as an abbreviation of 'association' (as in football) and sat alongside 'rugger' for rugby football.

Soccer is a far better name for our game than football, which can cover at least five different types of games (association, rugby, american, australian-rules, gaelic - have I forgotten any?). Can't see a problem with the word myself.

I hat it, it was the name given to it by the upper class, who created the association. the supporters, generally lower class, never liked it and so it was dropped. How the hell a sport can be given the name from the word association is pretty baffling.

Apparently, a lot of sports such as Rugby, got the name rugby football, not because of the use of feet, but because it was not played on horseback, hence you ran on your feet. Why the need to diffrentiate that, god only knows!

People live in the here and now. That'll be why they dislike it.

Maybe it will come back again one day, perhaps if Sky tell us to say 'soccer' we will.

I'm for sticking with 'Football'.

I hat it, it was the name given to it by the upper class, who created the association. the supporters, generally lower class, never liked it and so it was dropped. How the hell a sport can be given the name from the word association is pretty baffling.

Apparently, a lot of sports such as Rugby, got the name rugby football, not because of the use of feet, but because it was not played on horseback, hence you ran on your feet. Why the need to diffrentiate that, god only knows!

The legend is that rugby football was created at Rugby School by a lad picking up a football and running with it (though probably untrue). Don't think any horses were involved.

Still, at least we can't blame the Americans for 'soccer' (actually the Americans are pretty good at preserving language rather than changing it...).

WHAT? His Wikipedia page had him somewhere around $200m-$300m last time I looked. Now he's worth THAT much? Surely that re-affirms the level of financial support he could provide, at least we won't be doing a Pompey any time soon. AND I'm still proud of the face the club is still English owned, regardless of whether he's based in Monaco or whatever.

The legend is that rugby football was created at Rugby School by a lad picking up a football and running with it (though probably untrue). Don't think any horses were involved.

Still, at least we can't blame the Americans for 'soccer' (actually the Americans are pretty good at preserving language rather than changing it...).

William Webb-Ellis no less.

Great here comes all the fools with their "SL out bull" as he is unwilling to spend 20mil on the team

Great! Here comes all the FOOLS with their 'Lets try and stay in the Championship with a Jumble Sale and a few Cake Stalls'

Had a look at the table tonight? Where are Forest? Where are Cardiff? Spending a few bob gets you nowhere.

Seen where the Mighty Peterborough & Barnsley are? bloody embarrassing isn't it?

Swansea? Wigan? Stoke?

Remember them?

Archived