IGNORED

Starting 11 Against Brighton

miketh2nd

Brighton is going to be on of the toughest games of the season, it's all about how we play without the ball . Seeing unless we retain the ball superbly , that will be large spells without having Possession. So I'd go with

Heaton

Maloney Fonts Carey Cunningham

Anderson Skuse Kelly Elliot Pearson

Davies

Seems harsh to drop Nytanga but I think this game is made for Carey for his pure battling mentality and experience.

Davies just edges it from Stead purely on his link up play ( not saying steads is bad mind you) but we need some sort of creativity there.

I know I'm not going to be popular with going 4-5-1 at home but unless we play Stead right in front of the midfield and defending deeply most of the game then isn't much point having 4-4-2.

I know Skuse Kelly Elliot combo won't create that much either but they will battle for sure.

You say we need to keep the ball, then pick Skuse, Kelly and Elliot as your midfield three?

I sure do!, as well as we played against Barnsely , they had much too many chances.

If Elliot gives away a easy Ball it won't be easy to win it back against Brighton and may well be punished for easy mistakes.

Look where the keep the same Loyal team got us with GJ, we defiantly need to change our approach to Brighton . This is a one off game.

Keep to the same team and keep to 4-4-2.

The only reserve i have is our ball retention, killkenny and howard will keep the ball for us as we clearly need possesion against Brighton, the concern is the change to the side which has done so well over the last few games - i hope we adjust and cope with it !

Same team!

If there is some major threat that SoD wants to countermand then maybe a slight tweak....However the players are happy with if they play well they are in, dont change it unless essential

SoD did hint he is thinking about something with the Spanish bloke they have!

Keep to the same team and keep to 4-4-2.

The only reserve i have is our ball retention, killkenny and howard will keep the ball for us as we clearly need possesion against Brighton, the concern is the change to the side which has done so well over the last few games - i hope we adjust and cope with it !

I agree, keep the same team (wouldn't be against Carey playing though) and 4-4-2.

I would say we don't really need possession against Brighton as long as we are disciplined and organised without the ball - much like the Watford game.

Stead and Anderson will be key tonight - hopefully Stead plays as he did against Barnsley and Anderson maintains his superb work rate in order to stretch Brighton.

, I don't know much about their centre backs, but if they're slow then Baldock might get the nod ahead of Davies.

You've heard of Matthew Upson, right?

Our CBs aren't the quickest but Upson has a great football brain. You'll hate the other, Adam El Abd, by the end of the game. He will wind your forwards, and hence you lot, right up.

Overview of our lot for you, although Poyet may change the line-up. He does like a tinker...

GK - Tomasz Kuszczak. You'll probably know him from his Manchester United days, larging bench-warming. Polish international. He's been in cracking form over recent weeks, with many Albion fans thinking him to be the best 'keeper we've ever had.

Right back - Bruno. Signed from Valencia. Quality bombing forward, a bit suspect when people bomb at him.

Centre back - Matthew Upson. Came in on loan from Stoke in January window. Is the experienced quality head we needed to help what was already a solid defence (2nd best in division behind Leicester)

Centre back - Adam El Abd. Brighton through and through coming all the way up from the youth team. Written off repeatedly over the years but keeps proving himself again. Possibly the biggest wind-up merchant in football, getting Ricky Lambert the only red card of his career last season. You will hate him tonight.

Left back - Wayne Bridge, if fit. On loan from Man City and absolute quality. Shouldn't be in this division. If he's not fit, it's another Spaniard Inigo Calderon who has been with us for a few years. Quite solid at the back, and does like to get forward.

Midfield is anyone's guess, but our options (in order of likeliness to play)...

Liam Bridcutt - arguably the best holding midfiedler in the division. Picked up on a free when Chelsea discarded him when young. He will play in the Premier League, hopefully for us. Has to be worth £5m+ by now. Nicely rested for tonight after a 2 match ban.

David (aka 'Spanish Dave') - signed from Athletic Bilbao this past Summer. Struggled with the English game at first, but has really come into his own in the past month or two. High quality on the ball and great deliveries into the box. Weighed in with some important goals too, and become our penalty taker. We love him.

Andreas Orlandi - signed from Swansea in the Summer and has impressed from the off. Skillful and knows where the goal is.

Dean Hammond - Albion youth product, spent a lot of time at Southampton, captaining their successive promotions. Back on loan with us. Solid and reliable, a bit of a Marmite player with Albion fans.

Will Buckley - Plays wide, but seems to be in poor form. Subject of a £5m bid from Swansea in January which we turned down. When on his game, can be unplayable and will torment the fullback having to play him.

Vicente - the best player most of us have seen in a Brighton shirt. If only he couls stay fit. Was out, injured, Saturday after some recent dazzling performances.

Gary Dicker (yes, really, Dicker) - One of the last remaining players from our League One team. Solid player with good distribution.

Ulloa - £2m signing from Spain in January, the Argentinian has now scored 5 in 7 and is finding his way in the English game. Probably still not 100% match fit. May finally exorcise the ghost of Glen Murray who we released to arch-rivals Palace on a free.

Others...

Craig Mackail-Smith - bench warming since Ulloa's arrival, but sure to feature in the second half to chase your defenders about.

Ashley Barnes - the definitive marmite player. Plays behind a front man, our second top scorer in each of the last 2 seasons after a bargain buy from Plymouth.

Kazenga LuaLua - Tricky and explosive right-winger with one hell of a shot on him.

Gordon Greer - club captain and centre-back waiting to get his place back.

Our CBs aren't the quickest but Upson has a great football brain. You'll hate the other, Adam El Abd, by the end of the game. He will wind your forwards, and hence you lot, right up.

Yeah I've heard of him. Wasn't he the shit West Ham defender?

I know both of them, just wasn't sure who was first choice etc, couldn't be arsed to look it up.

Well, in that case I would be tempted to give Baldock the nod, his movement and pace could be the beating of those two especially if gaps are left by your attacking full backs

Yeah I've heard of him. Wasn't he the shit West Ham defender?

I think he had a poor spell at West Ham, but he's looked a cut above for us so far. Gives us additional aerial threat for attacking set-pieces and corners too.

We've not seen too many (ex) England internationals playing for us over the years, but there is obvious class with the two we're currently lucky to be borrowing.

Upson is quality.

At this level yes. He isn't really up to the Premier League anymore. Still can do the business at this level though easily.

I do wonder how on earth he ended up playing for England at a world cup though. Never in a million years was he good enough. Probably explains why we never win anything mind.

As for our team tonight I am certain SoD won't change it, and rightly so. That's painful for me to say, as I think Nyatanga is horrific and I think he will struggle tonight. I don't think its right to change a back four after keeping a clean sheet and especially as both centre backs scored the previous week so confidence will be as high as it's been for a long time.

SoD has mentioned confidence being important on numerous occasions and dropping someone like Nyatanga will shatter any confidence he has regained over the past few weeks. It does appear SoD is getting that little extra out of certain players like he believed he could.

Tough call but say Carey comes back in for Tangs tonight, and then is not fit enough for Boro saturday we will have to rely on a confidence shattered Tangs again, and will probably be back at square one.

Same team for me tonight. In SoD we trust.

At this level yes. He isn't really up to the Premier League anymore. Still can do the business at this level though easily.

I do wonder how on earth he ended up playing for England at a world cup though. Never in a million years was he good enough. Probably explains why we never win anything mind.

He did score for England V Germany at the WC in 2010 - although we were 2-0 down at the time which he was mostly responsible for.....

Archived