IGNORED

Fortress Ashton Gate

BristolCitySweden maybe putting it bluntly, but he is making a point; a strange point of that. For the sake of your own heart rates and believe please keep your feet firmly on the ground. We've seen this run before under Millen & McInnes. Why should it be any different now? Perhaps it is but history shows us we could be going down the same path again if these players are here come next season. No matter what happens from hear until the summer we still need a big shift out regardless of what league we are in or how the players go about their footballing business and attitude.

I for one am not buying into this 'new team mentality' as I've witnessed it to many times. I want to see better a class of players at this club and we have got to make a giant leap if we wish to move up this league.

Exactly. BristolCitySweden with all due respect does seem to have a few issues in getting his point across at times as it would seem English isnt his first language, however the point he is trying to get across is a bloody good one. Why should we put up with this time and time again, new manager and every player seems to be a different person again, im sorry but its boll0x. Regardless of if we atay up or not the old guard need to be shipped out at the end of the season Imo.

Im delighted at the win today and if we stay up like every City fan ill be over the moon, however going into ANOTHER campaign with the same old shite regardless of us having SOD will spell disaster for us next season.

Just a thought here, but could it be that Millen and Mcinnes were not only completely out of their depth but were poor coaches with poor coaching staff?.

and there lies the answer, weather we stay up or go down, (and im getting more confident we might)

the future looks so much better with s.o.d. in charge.

his interviews are a joy,none of the crap football speak!

and fans panicing about who might leave if were relegated. well apart from albert who might get an offer to play in the premier league,the rest might be wise to

stay and learn about the game properly from the man.

if some of them want to go for the cash, he will i think bring in players that will ,if hes given the time put this club on a sound footing,and take us forward!

Crap comment

Why ? All he does is slag off the team. He wants beautiful football , played by a team full of footballers on a minimum wage and expects us to compete with the best teams in the league .A new manger has brought out the best in the players we have but he has no respect for the job SOD has done.If Swede has his way he would probably get rid of 8/9 of layers in our current squad. I believe we have the players and the manager to be a successful team. Forget whats happened in the past , its what Sod has achieved in his short time here and what he can achieve in the future.If swede cannot see the improvement made in the last few weeks and still continues to slag off the team then my comment of 'shit supporter' stands, so go do one !!

I believe this year we have actually hit promotion form, agreed form is temporary however, O'Driscoll has brought in Maloney, Howard and had a new Kelly to play with (who wasn't even his signing) all hungry to prove a point but it is quite clear that something spectacular has happened to the players with regards to their concentration and organisation.

These things, coupled with the hunger, fight and drive that was expected as a result of getting a new manager in, in a relegation scrap, make the players look like they can do their bit.

The real test will come when they start to loose focus and have to get back on track, there will be games where sheer resilience won't stop a good team on their day and it is showing that we can come from behind to salvage something. Watching them play, the squad look every bit a championship side now, they looked bedraggled at times earlier in the season when confidence escaped them.

Players shouldn't be down there on their money, if they're not performing they should have been out, if my productivity was low at work because I'm low on confidence - I'd be out on my arse. Football, fortunately for these talented but lucky, young men, is different and Sean O'Driscoll has been brought in to turn the ship around before it's too late.

Over the last month or so, I've been impressed and optimistic about City

Over the last year or so, it's even fallen short of disappointing I grant you

Why ? All he does is slag off the team. He wants beautiful football , played by a team full of footballers on a minimum wage and expects us to compete with the best teams in the league .A new manger has brought out the best in the players we have but he has no respect for the job SOD has done.If Swede has his way he would probably get rid of 8/9 of layers in our current squad. I believe we have the players and the manager to be a successful team. Forget whats happened in the past , its what Sod has achieved in his short time here and what he can achieve in the future.If swede cannot see the improvement made in the last few weeks and still continues to slag off the team then my comment of 'shit supporter' stands, so go do one !!

I don't think anyone who follows us from Sweden and actually pays a vist three or four times a year can be called a shit supporter. He may have some strong opinions but there's no problem with that. I agree with you though in the main, although am frustrated that we're playing fantasy football but still remain in serious trouble.

Have you witnessed, first hand, the change.. These players really are playing for the cause. Epitomised by the back 4 embracing each other in a group hug after the full time whistle. Give them a little credit.

Are you one of these FOOLS who carried off the players lasy game of the season last year?! It is quite literally embarrasing how toothless BCFC fans are. These players have turned in crap after crap after crap yet when it comes down to battling they somehow turn it on. Blinkers off the best thing we could do is bin the players and the atmosphere that is come to Ashton Gate, play for 10 games a year and get held out as some sort of idol.

Interesting. SOD is the new manager and so far doing well. The defence is ok as the whole team. SOD did not bring new players for City because, I think, he did not know the quality in our team. He have made progress with City, the confidence is there. 3 clean sheets in 3 games shows it. Can understand Tommys point but at the moment we have to surf on the good run. Staying up is nr 1 for me at this moment. SOD is the right man for City. Said it before 50-50 to stay up. The win today was very, very nice. As someone said, there are 23 more teams in this leauge and most of them in the beggining of the season hopes for top 6. Really hope we make it and with SOD as the driver next season we will be good. COYR!!!

Interesting. SOD is the new manager and so far doing well. The defence is ok as the whole team. SOD did not bring new players for City because, I think, he did not know the quality in our team. He have made progress with City, the confidence is there. 3 clean sheets in 3 games shows it. Can understand Tommys point but at the moment we have to surf on the good run. Staying up is nr 1 for me at this moment. SOD is the right man for City. Said it before 50-50 to stay up. The win today was very, very nice. As someone said, there are 23 more teams in this leauge and most of them in the beggining of the season hopes for top 6. Really hope we make it and with SOD as the driver next season we will be good. COYR!!!

Exactly, let's have the post mortem at the seasons end.

Im surprised anyone gives this Sweden idiot the time of day.

Has no right whatsoever to be spouting the same negative drivel on here week in week out.

Oh look at me I live in Sweden but I'll randomly say I support Bristol City and live on their forum. Bore off.

Overpaid poor players on long term contracts with their backs on the wall mananging a fwo mounth lower league form.

Happy days.

Complete rubbish .If we are showing lower league form then how did we beat Boro if they had won would have been in the play offs

Im surprised anyone gives this Sweden idiot the time of day.

Has no right whatsoever to be spouting the same negative drivel on here week in week out.

Oh look at me I live in Sweden but I'll randomly say I support Bristol City and live on their forum. Bore off.

Or part of the solution not the problem. Preumably you're at the Gate more often than not? - could you see the same energy levels in December? I'm at the Gate and didn't. Did SOD teach the midfield to track a runner, or teach Fonts to not let the ball bounce? If he did how the hell did they make it as footballers? I wont be happy just staying up, as i wont be for going down. We shouldnt be in this position but we are. Fault may be partly with the previous regime but lets stop letting these players off please. Fonts is no new signing, he's the same guff that started in Jan. He's just mugging off a new 'head coach' but he wont win me around.

I don't think anyone who follows us from Sweden and actually pays a vist three or four times a year can be called a shit supporter. He may have some strong opinions but there's no problem with that. I agree with you though in the main, although am frustrated that we're playing fantasy football but still remain in serious trouble.

Not sure what you mean by playing 'fantasy football' but anyway, of course we are still in the s**t. What i'm saying is that you have to give credit to how the team are paying now, not 2/6/12 months ago but now. Perhaps my 'shit supporter' comment was a bit harsh but perhaps a sense of reality may be of use when trying to judge our team. We have improved as a team and I think we will continue to do so, lets support that,and not continue to slag them off as certain members (swedes) seem to want to do!!

Or part of the solution not the problem. Preumably you're at the Gate more often than not? - could you see the same energy levels in December? I'm at the Gate and didn't. Did SOD teach the midfield to track a runner, or teach Fonts to not let the ball bounce? If he did how the hell did they make it as footballers? I wont be happy just staying up, as i wont be for going down. We shouldnt be in this position but we are. Fault may be partly with the previous regime but lets stop letting these players off please. Fonts is no new signing, he's the same guff that started in Jan. He's just mugging off a new 'head coach' but he wont win me around.

Point is, these players are now being organised and told how to do things, not just left clueless each match day.

I'm not gonna watch my team work their bolloks off for 6 home games in a row and listen to some random mug in another country who hasnt seen us play slag them off.

Point is, these players are now being organised and told how to do things, not just left clueless each match day.

I'm not gonna watch my team work their bolloks off for 6 home games in a row and listen to some random mug in another country who hasnt seen us play slag them off.

Equally I'm not waxing lyrical because they've got 10+ performances in them this season! If they can sustain it i will hold my hands up. However i'm genuinely flabergasted, and embarrassed that we gave these players an idols reception for staying up last season (incl carrying off the pitch) when we have a wage bill which fits a top championship side.

I honestly think fortress Ashton Gate should be in relation to demanding more from OUR squad. We've seen more, but honestly i want to know why they've been able to turn it on like Jekly and Hyde when there's a change in management. He might be watching from afar, but watching he is nonetheless and he has no less right to be skeptical than someone sat in B block!!

Are you one of these FOOLS who carried off the players lasy game of the season last year?! It is quite literally embarrasing how toothless BCFC fans are. These players have turned in crap after crap after crap yet when it comes down to battling they somehow turn it on. Blinkers off the best thing we could do is bin the players and the atmosphere that is come to Ashton Gate, play for 10 games a year and get held out as some sort of idol.

Not at all, in fact I find myself deeply disluitoned with football full stop at times. What the hell has the atmosphere got to do with things. So you are saying that the manager has no role in motivating and organising these so crap players? Maybe the real test of a manager is getting the best out the tools given too him. GJ did well with a similar bunch, SOD to me seems to be a similar motivator of players who others would write off.

Not at all, in fact I find myself deeply disluitoned with football full stop at times. What the hell has the atmosphere got to do with things. So you are saying that the manager has no role in motivating and organising these so crap players? Maybe the real test of a manager is getting the best out the tools given too him. GJ did well with a similar bunch, SOD to me seems to be a similar motivator of players who others would write off.

Personally i think the role of manager is overrated and over-emphasized. Maybe this is the reason SOD distinguishes himself from being a manager?

We have had a soft underbelly for a few seasons now, players AND fans. AG used to be an intimidating place, not only for the opposition, but because the fans expected a lot from our players.

In recent times the players have had it damn easy. Del got blamed when im my opinion the rallying call should have been 'play with some pride!' Balls should a manager encourage and motivate a squad - the Audi R8 on the driveway should damn well do that. We see threads now saying how great fonts and nyatanga are and personally I cannot fathom it. We have been in too many bottom of the table battles because players like this have ano easy life and enjoy it. I want AG or AV to be a place where although the lads are strongly encouraged, 90% effort will not be tolerated. Seemingly 100% <50% of the time is good enough... Not for me!

I will excuse incompetence. Lack of application, however, i will not.

- re atmosphere in the prior post i suppose culture was the more fitting word.

Personally i think the role of manager is overrated and over-emphasized. Maybe this is the reason SOD distinguishes himself from being a manager?

We have had a soft underbelly for a few seasons now, players AND fans. AG used to be an intimidating place, not only for the opposition, but because the fans expected a lot from our players.

In recent times the players have had it damn easy. Del got blamed when im my opinion the rallying call should have been 'play with some pride!' Balls should a manager encourage and motivate a squad - the Audi R8 on the driveway should damn well do that. We see threads now saying how great fonts and nyatanga are and personally cannot fathom it. We have been in too many bottom of the table battles because players like this have ano easy life and enjoy it. I want AG or AV to be a place where the lads are strongly encouraged, but where 90% will not be tolerated. Seemingly 100% <50% of the time is good enough... Not for me!

I will excuse incompetence. Lack of application, however, i will not.

I think the real problem is some managers have made the game far to difficult and technical and Millen and DMC fell into that category, the Barnsley coach had a ******* ipad type device to show a substitute what he expected of him and sometimes some of the briefings given to substitutes is like a ******* dissertation for a university degree, most footballers are so dull that it confuses them, put a striker on and tell him score a goal, 2 would be better, hold the ball up maybe, play on the shoulder of the last man, surely that should be enough, all of the great managers say football is a simple game and far too many have tried to re-invent the wheel, ******* prozone my arse.

Just ****in do one will you! Go and support one of your super Swedish league teams as they are so much better than BCFC, save on travel fees as well!!!

Whil he has been spouting a load of cack I thought that was fair. We did have an uptick after appointing Millen and Mcinnes. Some players seem to only be able to perform either in the last 15 games of the season or under a new manager and for me as well as our Swedish friend that is simply not good enough.

I think the real problem is some managers have made the game far to difficult and technical and Millen and DMC fell into that category, the Barnsley coach had a ******* ipad type device to show a substitute what he expected of him and sometimes some of the briefings given to substitutes is like a ******* dissertation for a university degree, most footballers are so dull that it confuses them, put a striker on and tell him score a goal, 2 would be better, hold the ball up maybe, play on the shoulder of the last man, surely that should be enough, all of the great managers say football is a simple game and far too many have tried to re-invent the wheel, ******* prozone my arse.

You could well be right. However some of these players I gave credit for not being confused when it comes to not letting a ball drop in the box (Fonts), or not letting a midfielder waltz through the middle (Peason, Skuse, Elliot, Kilkenny etc).

Personally I wont praise a manager too highly or lambast a manager too vehemently in the good/bad times. I think a manager should assemble a squad and set a system. Other than that football is a pretty simple game - that no doubt is why it is so accessible. The squad should know what is expected in a system or for a bunch of tactics. SOD says as much himself in his allowing players to take responsibilty approach.

We heard how Del was a breath of fresh air when he came in, we hear now that SOD is a breath of fresh air... Personally I want a squad which is a breath of fresh air.

EDOT: i think we are making simialr points - that football is not rocket science. Where we may differ in opinion, however, is in how important a manager is. Whilst a manager may confuse a squad, I dont believe there can be much real confusion in open play about tracking a man or in tackling ano advancing player, or in clearing your lines.

Maybe the real test of a manager is getting the best out the tools given too him. GJ did well with a similar bunch, SOD to me seems to be a similar motivator of players who others would write off.

GJ 'did well with a similar bunch' until they very evidently stopped putting total commitment in for him. And the club. And US.

This is what fans will never forget or forgive - the exact same scenario unfolded with Tinnion, Millen and Del and in a number of cases it was the same players involved in the demise of more than one manager.

Tommy's argument, though possibly mistimed, is absolutely valid.

City need to cull these players once and for all - serial offenders who only give 100% when there's a new manager, a new contract to be played for, or when it suits them, are no good to any club and Bristol City fans have had a belly full of them.

Yes, let's leave it to the end of the season but when the time comes no sentiment, no letting the players pull the wool over our eyes yet again, and no 3rd or 4th chances when it comes to new contracts - be decisive and show them the door.

You could well be right. However some of these players I gave credit for not being confused when it comes to not letting a ball drop in the box (Fonts), or not letting a midfielder waltz through the middle (Peason, Skuse, Elliot, Kilkenny etc).

Personally I wont praise a manager too highly or lambast a manager too vehemently in the good/bad times. I think a manager should assemble a squad and set a system. Other than that football is a pretty simple game - that no doubt is why it is so accessible. The squad should know what is expected in a system or for a bunch of tactics. SOD says as much himself in his allowing players to take responsibilty approach.

We heard how Del was a breath of fresh air when he came in, we hear now that SOD is a breath of fresh air... Personally I want a squad which is a breath of fresh air.

Football management just like the game itself is easy, when things are going well and the new manager/breath of fresh air is fine and dandy until things that worked last week suddenly don't work any more, (just ask GJ) and that is when a manager earns his corn, first he has to identify the problem and then find an answer to that problem or come up with a plan B.

Under Millen and DMC after staving off relegation, in their first full seasons as manager, the players looked bewildered, disorganised, overwhelmed and without a shred of confidence. in a squad as you allude to substitutes should be able to pretty much fit seamlessly into the team when called upon and again that never seemed to happen under Millen or DMC in fact it usually coincided with us conceding more goals, SOD seems to be setting the team with fairly simple systems and subs don't seem to affect that balance and that must be good and probably one even more important issue that has cost us over the past 4/5 years as a manager don't have favourites/undroppables and again I really don't think SOD is that kind of manager.

GJ 'did well with a similar bunch' until they very evidently stopped putting total commitment in for him. And the club. And US.

This is what fans will never forget or forgive - the exact same scenario unfolded with Tinnion, Millen and Del and in a number of cases it was the same players involved in the demise of more than one manager.

Tommy's argument, though possibly mistimed, is absolutely valid.

City need to cull these players once and for all - serial offenders who only give 100% when there's a new manager, a new contract to be played for, or when it suits them, are no good to any club and Bristol City fans have had a belly full of them.

Yes, let's leave it to the end of the season but when the time comes no sentiment, no letting the players pull the wool over our eyes yet again, and no 3rd or 4th chances when it comes to new contracts - be decisive and show them the door.

I could not agree more. Fans are far far far too quick to turn on a manager and not the playing squad.

Rafa won 2 champions leagues - with diff teams, but is a crap manager; scolari can win a world cup and rejuvinate Portugal, but isn't good enough for Chelsea; AVB can win the CL for Porto(!) And take spurs to (seemingly) CL and a thumping of Inter though is not good enough for Chelsea; Adkins can win two promotions but not good enough to continue his work; Arsene can manage the invincibles but is apparently no longer good enough...

I know a lot of these examples involve Stamford Bridge but the point im trying to make is these managers are or have been given significant stick despite having delivered success. My opinion is that these individuals roles have been and are being overplayed (both in successes and in failures) and that the buck should largely stop with players. Short term we are seemingly better off without Del, longer term I think we'd be better off without the VAST majority of this squad. My oipinion has seismically shifted over the past few years and in present circumstances I would far happier chant 'we want X out' at a player than a manager!

Football management just like the game itself is easy, when things are going well and the new manager/breath of fresh air is fine and dandy until things that worked last week suddenly don't work any more, (just ask GJ) and that is when a manager earns his corn, first he has to identify the problem and then find an answer to that problem or come up with a plan B.

Under Millen and DMC after staving off relegation, in their first full seasons as manager, the players looked bewildered, disorganised, overwhelmed and without a shred of confidence. in a squad as you allude to substitutes should be able to pretty much fit seamlessly into the team when called upon and again that never seemed to happen under Millen or DMC in fact it usually coincided with us conceding more goals, SOD seems to be setting the team with fairly simple systems and subs don't seem to affect that balance and that must be good and probably one even more important issue that has cost us over the past 4/5 years as a manager don't have favourites/undroppables and again I really don't think SOD is that kind of manager.

SOD's recent quotes must have made Skuse feel damn comfortable though.

I do think our viewpoints are very similar, but i suppose I'm closer to firing the bullet at the players and you the manager. I suppose we'll find out whose opinion was correct if we enter next season with the same squad. I personally think in spite of SOD's empowerment we would begin to see this comfortable squad turn in sub-standard performances. If, however, he can get the squad to maintain there performances long-term I'll gladly hold my hands up and eat humble pie. Problem is I'm so disillusioned that if there aren't wholesale changes in the summer I won't be at the gate week after week because I have so little faith in the squad that I won't renew my ST. If there are wholesale changes though I will certainly renew regardless of the division which we are in.

SOD's recent quotes must have made Skuse feel damn comfortable though.

I do think our viewpoints are very similar, but i suppose I'm closer to firing the bullet at the players and you the manager. I suppose we'll find out whose opinion was correct if we enter next season with the same squad. I personally think in spite of SOD's empowerment we would begin to see this comfortable squad turn in sub-standard performances. If, however, he can get the squad to maintain there performances long-term I'll gladly hold my hands up and eat humble pie. Problem is I'm so disillusioned that if there aren't wholesale changes in the summer I won't be at the gate week after week because I have so little faith in the squad that I won't renew my ST. If there are wholesale changes though I will certainly renew regardless of the division which we are in.

That's football for you, managers get sacked and players don't and I agree it's wrong, but deep down I have always thought that there is very little wrong with our squad, they just appear to be totally disorganised, I have never seen a team that appeared to have a big black hole in the middle of the field where the midfield should actually be and defenders who constantly back off and back off some more and then decide to dive in on the edge of our area and because that was never addressed by Millen or DMC, I can only assume that that is what they were being coached to do.

Archived