IGNORED

Women Only Swiming Sessions- Sexist?

Mr Popodopolous

Saw on the local news the other night, and I'm gonna sound like a Daily Mail reader possibly but surely the idea of women's only swimming sessions is a sexist one? Or legally dicy at least? Before my time but from what I understand they got rid of working mens clubs for reasons of gender equality so any ideas? Already have them at Easton apparently, calls for them at Horfield. Seems a bit discriminatory to me on principle.

There's other examples too- out and about the other day, when jobs are tight I saw a job ad in a window for a cafe 'Waitress and Chef wanted.' Now surely that should be Waiter OR WAITRESS and Chef wanted. There's a few examples out there tbh. Anyone else noticed this?

Sure, I can take that point- seemed a very religious thing and seemed a tad worrying tbh. I believe they already do it in Easton, wanted to expand it to Horfield. They have this in many bits of country, but dunno how religion driven it is overall.

Talking hypothetically, I've always wanted to run a cafe one day. If I ever fulfil that, maybe I'll name it 'Working Men's Cafe'- sure I won't get in trouble for sexism at all...

I'm all for equality. So sod 'em.

Imagine the outcry from womens groups if we started men only pubs. Shocking. If it's religious, then leave if you don't like our equality rules and go back to your own medieval countries who treat women like sh1t.

The most obscene inequality - women can still retire younger than men yet live longer and have far more of the NHS budget spent on them. Now that's something worth protesting about.

Quite interested in this topic, as i actually work at Horfield. Im due in tomorrow so im looking forward to seeing what stance they will take on this particular subject. It seems that there using it on religious grounds and wouldn't it be sexist to exclude men from a swimming session?

On a schedule basis, i do struggle to see where they could fit in this particular swim though. The schedule there is pretty rigid and its very rare you will find it quiet in there, even late at night, theres usually at least 25 people using the pool. The early morning swim is VERY popular, especially with females, where you can get ridiculous numbers in. Once again though, this is mainly down to religion so its a bit of a political hot potato in terms of that stance.

Saw on the local news the other night, and I'm gonna sound like a Daily Mail reader possibly but surely the idea of women's only swimming sessions is a sexist one? Or legally dicy at least? Before my time but from what I understand they got rid of working mens clubs for reasons of gender equality so any ideas? Already have them at Easton apparently, calls for them at Horfield. Seems a bit discriminatory to me on principle.

There's other examples too- out and about the other day, when jobs are tight I saw a job ad in a window for a cafe 'Waitress and Chef wanted.' Now surely that should be Waiter OR WAITRESS and Chef wanted. There's a few examples out there tbh. Anyone else noticed this?

Or maybe a waitperson?

not sure why the issue it allows muslim women to benefit from exercise and also encourages those more self conscious to take part. Is that a bad thing? It needs to be scheduled correctly and done where there is availability but we need more people to look after themselves.

At the expense of others?

But is it?

I'm not an expert on religion but my understanding is that some Muslim women wouldn't take part in an open session so wouldn't go at all compared to some people who would just have to go at a different time. Is that not a fair comprmise? Obvioulsy if they turned all the sessions into women's only then it's a bit different but the odd session shouldn't be an issue.

Or maybe a waitperson?

That could work. Overall point trying to make is, it's a bit dubious to advertise for one gender or the other in such a job I'd argue. To actually specify 'Waitress' or indeed had it been other way round 'Waiter' seemes supect to me.

Swimming wise- just seems a bit pushy really. Vocal minority who can say but it is out of line end of! Should scrap the Easton one while they're at it also. OR, provide men only sessions in equal number.

At the expense of others?

Having School Only sessions is at the expense of others as well - do you disapprove of those? genuine question

This isn't sexist at all. It allows muslim females the chance the swim and the times where it will be Women Only are very few and far between. I do wish people would be more accommodating and stop looking for scandel

I'm not that bothered about it but I do kind of take the view that if you want to subscribe to a dumb as **** religion that limits your personal freedom you ought not to expect the rest of us to be inconvenienced to lessen the impact on you. Just stop believing that damaging nonsense.

I'm not that bothered about it but I do kind of take the view that if you want to subscribe to a dumb as **** religion that limits your personal freedom you ought not to expect the rest of us to be inconvenienced to lessen the impact on you. Just stop believing that damaging nonsense.

I would say that one cannot help what one believes in.

Of course not but if you believe that there is a god that wants you to do XY&Z then that is what you believe.

The same way that I cannot suddenly think "I'm going to believe in God now".

You seem to be describing a mental illness, where someone is unable to think properly. I don't buy it. Everybody has the capacity to think critically and that's all it takes.

Belief in a religion is a choice, and one you make for yourself. You might be indoctrinated as a child but you will at some point reach an awareness where you can evaluate your own beliefs and if at that point you choose to carry on with that nonsense it's your own problem.

So... if it's religiously important to swim in separate sex groups, then religious organisations can provide swimming facilities. Not the government, local or national.

You seem to be describing a mental illness, where someone is unable to think properly. I don't buy it. Everybody has the capacity to think critically and that's all it takes.

Belief in a religion is a choice, and one you make for yourself. You might be indoctrinated as a child but you will at some point reach an awareness where you can evaluate your own beliefs and if at that point you choose to carry on with that nonsense it's your own problem.

So... if it's religiously important to swim in separate sex groups, then religious organisations can provide swimming facilities. Not the government, local or national.

Believing in a god is akin to having a mental illness though!!

Of course not but if you believe that there is a god that wants you to do XY&Z then that is what you believe.

The same way that I cannot suddenly think "I'm going to believe in God now".

There are plenty of people that gain faith and also plenty that lose it. I'm one of the fortunate that was never brainwashed and have consequently never known religious faith. I agree with Nibor on this as he makes a very good point. Religious organisations seem to have sufficent wealth to provide their own facilities if their followers are unable to integrate, witness the number of places of worship that seem to be springing up all over the place. I can't see why the hard pressed tax payer should foot the bill.

Well I am not religious, never have been, never believed in the mumbo jumbo, but there could be a few of us sayong "Oh Bugger" when we pop our clogs.

So here is hoping we are right in our assumptions :)

I don't see it as just a religious issue personally. Women only swimming per'se- how is that justified in publicly funded facilities?

Presumably they're Council Tax payers ?

They have men & women only sessions for the sauna at Keynsham Leisure Centre btw.

Well I am not religious, never have been, never believed in the mumbo jumbo, but there could be a few of us sayong "Oh Bugger" when we pop our clogs.

So here is hoping we are right in our assumptions :)

No need to worry TRL. Remember that God is good, God is all forgiving and presumably unlikely to take his bat home just because you didn't believe in him in this life. A, presumably, harmless non-believer should have far more chance of making the top table than those religious nutters that have slaughtered in His name over the years.

not sure why the issue it allows muslim women to benefit from exercise and also encourages those more self conscious to take part. Is that a bad thing? It needs to be scheduled correctly and done where there is availability but we need more people to look after themselves.

So can I wear a T-Shirt in the pool as "self conscious" male, or request all nude bathing ?

If BCC feel there is a market for one sex only swimming then I dont see a issue with it being implimented. But on the other hand if its another way of a religous group pushing its views on us at the expense of others its wrong and will do more harm than good.

Archived