IGNORED

Women Only Swiming Sessions- Sexist?

Mr Popodopolous

not sure why the issue it allows muslim women to benefit from exercise and also encourages those more self conscious to take part. Is that a bad thing? It needs to be scheduled correctly and done where there is availability but we need more people to look after themselves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9932108/Britons-afraid-to-challenge-radical-Islam-says-former-Obama-adviser.html

Just can't agree with your point of view on this issue Zookeeper. Women fought a long battle in our country so that they could enjoy equal rights with men and we fought against the power of the church so that we could live in a free and open secular society. We really musn't slip back into the middle ages and allow male dominated, religious fundamentalist groups to gain a foothold in our society. I hope you can find time to have a look at the article above where a visiting American professor was astonished to find that he was expected to speak to a segregated audience in a debate on religion at University College, London.

With regard to the swimming issue, my guess is that women taking part in mixed sessions is heavily frowned upon by Moslem men who would not wish their women to participate no matter how discreetly they dressed. There are of course many other activities that could be pursued if keeping fit is the main issue. Running clubs, for instance, would no doubt be very welcoming or, as a starter, they could think about doing their local parkruns.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9932108/Britons-afraid-to-challenge-radical-Islam-says-former-Obama-adviser.html

Just can't agree with your point of view on this issue Zookeeper. Women fought a long battle in our country so that they could enjoy equal rights with men and we fought against the power of the church so that we could live in a free and open secular society. We really musn't slip back into the middle ages and allow male dominated, religious fundamentalist groups to gain a foothold in our society. I hope you can find time to have a look at the article above where a visiting American professor was astonished to find that he was expected to speak to a segregated audience in a debate on religion at University College, London.

With regard to the swimming issue, my guess is that women taking part in mixed sessions is heavily frowned upon by Moslem men who would not wish their women to participate no matter how discreetly they dressed. There are of course many other activities that could be pursued if keeping fit is the main issue. Running clubs, for instance, would no doubt be very welcoming or, as a starter, they could think about doing their local parkruns.

Followed that at the time. Forced segregation is wrong.

Think you misunderstand my point. I'm not suggesting that they can't or shouldn't take part in open sessions. However if they decide that as part of their beliefs a single sex session is better suited then is that bad? Surely providing them with opportunity to take part removes some of the male dominance?

Not sure running is really a viable alternative.

Followed that at the time. Forced segregation is wrong.

Think you misunderstand my point. I'm not suggesting that they can't or shouldn't take part in open sessions. However if they decide that as part of their beliefs a single sex session is better suited then is that bad? Surely providing them with opportunity to take part removes some of the male dominance?

Not sure running is really a viable alternative.

Personally I think that this would be the thin end of the wedge and a development that should be nipped in the bud. If, and I say if because I'm not sure of the individuals involved, male dominance is in any way responsible then surely allowing the sessions reinforces the idea rather than removing it. With regard to running, something which I still enjoy myself as a veteran, I suppose you're right as it could involve wearing tights, capris, or, heaven forbid, shorts.

Ive been looking in to this and Ive heard from a reliable source this has nothing to do with "single sex" issues as the protesters are not happy with "westernised" swim wear and its more about cultrual and religious issues.

So stuff um, catch the bus to Easton or back to Somalia and do your swimming there.

Ive been looking in to this and Ive heard from a reliable source this has nothing to do with "single sex" issues as the protesters are not happy with "westernised" swim wear and its more about cultrual and religious issues.

So stuff um, catch the bus to Easton or back to Somalia and do your swimming there.

What enlightened views you have.

What enlightened views you have.

You have obvioulsy not read my previous post.

This is a religous and cultural issue, so as the female Semolian communtiy feel so strongly for the aspect of their culture perhaps they should also allow the down right evil aspects of it as well (that are too repulsive to talk about on a forum), to be allowed !!!!!

Archived