IGNORED

Alex Russell To Retire From The Game

hippy273

Didn't realise he was still playing. Should come as no surprise though as the bloke was renowed for looking after himself and being in excellent shape even into his 30s. Younger players could learn something from that for starters.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Cheltenham-Town-Alex-Russell-retire-eve-40th/story-18424075-detail/story.html#axzz2Nc2NGB00

Fair play he made it to 40, SOD wants him there on match days now so he says. Watched him over at Bath City a little while back too.

Perhaps he will in life, but not on the pitch - if thats what you mean :icecream:

Best thing to come from Brian Tinnion as manager: Alex Russell

Best thing to come from Steve Coppell as manager: Albert Adomah

Only 2 positives to take from these appointments but my god they were/are players us fans love.

Tinnion also signed Orr, Keogh and Brooker, gave debuts to Skuse, Golbourne and Cotterill as well as giving Lita a real chance in the team. To suggest Alex Russell was the only positive from Tinman's reign would be incorrect.

I love Alex Russell, thought he was one of the most underrated players we have had. Rarely did anything particularly flashy, but you could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he made. It always baffled me why he hadn't played at a higher level earlier in his career. Will never forget his goal against Rotherham or his stunner the season before at home to Forest.

Tinnion also signed Orr, Keogh and Brooker, gave debuts to Skuse, Golbourne and Cotterill as well as giving Lita a real chance in the team. To suggest Alex Russell was the only positive from Tinman's reign would be incorrect.

I love Alex Russell, thought he was one of the most underrated players we have had. Rarely did anything particularly flashy, but you could count on one hand the amount of mistakes he made. It always baffled me why he hadn't played at a higher level earlier in his career. Will never forget his goal against Rotherham or his stunner the season before at home to Forest.

Keogh and Brooker didn't impress me an awful lot. Brooker struggled to stay fit and Keogh was just a young defender at the time. Lita was an important player under Danny Wilson despite him being left out of the play-off final.

Keogh and Brooker didn't impress me an awful lot. Brooker struggled to stay fit and Keogh was just a young defender at the time. Lita was an important player under Danny Wilson despite him being left out of the play-off final.

Brooker was excellent in his first two seasons here and I would be surprised if you needed two hands to count the amount of game he missed those years. In the run of games after Christmas in Johnson's first season that dragged us up the table in particular he was superb, and at times carried us along single handedly.

I'm not sure what Keogh being young had got to do with anything? He was a good player for us and played a significent role in our promotion season, so Tinman should be praised for signing him.

As for Leroy, don't make me laugh. How many league games did he start in the season we lost to Brighton? 2? Danny always seemed reluctant to play him and drove many crazy while he persisted with Miller and an out of form Peacock. Not many 'important players' are left out of the squad on the day of the play-off final. Every body in their right mind knows that it was Tinnion that was first to show any real faith in Leroy and he was repaid in 29 goals and the club earning a million quid.

As for Leroy, don't make me laugh. How many league games did he start in the season we lost to Brighton? 2? Danny always seemed reluctant to play him and drove many crazy while he persisted with Miller and an out of form Peacock. Not many 'important players' are left out of the squad on the day of the play-off final. Every body in their right mind knows that it was Tinnion that was first to show any real faith in Leroy and he was repaid in 29 goals and the club earning a million quid.

He had a very wishy washy attitude though, never forget how mad he went when he scored against us for Middlesboro. A**

Not forgetting Tinnion's first signing - Paul Heffernan, who despite blotting his copybook with the Gas, has been a good signing wherever he has been and remains one of my favourites.

Your appraisal of Russell is spot on.

Not forgetting Tinnion's first signing - Paul Heffernan, who despite blotting his copybook with the Gas, has been a good signing wherever he has been and remains one of my favourites.

Your appraisal of Russell is spot on.

He was unlucy was Heffernan. Had Brooker and Lita in front of him but still got over 10 that season he was with us. Just a pure goalscorer. I can remember Boxing Day or around that time and we were away at Stockport. They only just got the game on and he got 2 to win 2-1. Good day!

Archived