IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Q&a

big p

You're missing the point there mate. Before Sky we had a chance, we all did. Now we don't. Russian oligarchs and Saudi oil companies have played their part too, but what chance do we have now? Watch the itv4 'Big Match' replays and marvel at the names in and around the top of Division 1, different world and far more interesting for the fans

Give it another 10 / 15 years and I don't think I'll watch any Premier League / European football, same teams playing for the same trophies. It gets duller by the year. Give me Bury on a wet Tuesday night any day of the week

Interestingly there is an article on web about how dull the Prem has been this season. I just thought you should watch the Championship mate it's far more exciting, if nail biting!

The bit in bold underline above is happening big time and if the club don't do something about it the Academy will end up a complete waste of time, effort and money. Southampton are at Bath already which they are trying to make a Level 1 Academy set-up and have a Development Centre at Weston Super Mare now. Cardiff City have beating City to players in North Somerset for years but now Southampton is the big danger as they have a "Head of Recruitment" based specifically in North Somerset to tap into the talent there and in surrounding areas such as Bristol, South Gloucestershire and BANES. They are a massive threat to our Academy's future in my opinion.

And West Brom are also making noises and many connections in the area. The way things are going City and Rovers will simply become also rans for the production of local young talent in this area.

I think BCFC and SL will have done their homework thoroughly. They are investing heavily in our youth set up for the specific purpose of providing the facilities and expertise to attract and train the very best. So I think you are being a dad too pessimistic. SL was pointing out we need to improve our scouting; i think this have been talked about for a very long time and clearly not enough has been done not least because of the managerial magic roundabout of recent times.

I also am sure we will not just accept those clubs coming in an 'poaching' the best local talent; there is absolutely every reason to believe we will take that fight to the South Coast and the Midlands and further afield. We should be doing so anyway. I have been keeping my eyes peeled out in Cuba for years but there ain't much here to be frank!!

You're missing the point there mate. Before Sky we had a chance, we all did. Now we don't. Russian oligarchs and Saudi oil companies have played their part too, but what chance do we have now? Watch the itv4 'Big Match' replays and marvel at the names in and around the top of Division 1, different world and far more interesting for the fans

Give it another 10 / 15 years and I don't think I'll watch any Premier League / European football, same teams playing for the same trophies. It gets duller by the year. Give me Bury on a wet Tuesday night any day of the week

Oh for the sado-masochistic cold and wet evenings away from home and waiting for 46 year old Terry Cooper coming on in the 75th minute to provide the telling pass and get us the goal to nab the 3 points. The drive back in the wet with the red and white scarves out the back were priceless moments.

Oh for the sado-masochistic cold and wet evenings away from home and waiting for 46 year old Terry Cooper coming on in the 75th minute to provide the telling pass and get us the goal to nab the 3 points. The drive back in the wet with the red and white scarves out the back were priceless moments.

Decorating the car, the most vital point of the away day!

Tinnion = he said he wanted to give him a chance of management because he expressed an interest after Wilson left and he was well respected within the club. He mentioned his "judge me on Tinnion" comment. He has spoken to Brian many times since and Tinnion said he went into management too soon and looking back, he wished he did all his qualifications and apprenticeship somewhere else at a lower level before taking on a role for a club like City. He praised the role he played with regards to giving kids the chance to play, ie Skuse, Harley, Lita.

Millen - like Tinnion, after a good start taking over after Johnson, he expressed an interest in taking on the role on a full time basis and the Board decided he should be given the opportunity. Not too much after that from memory

McCinnes - said he was the hardest working boss he has had so far since he took over in 1996 who put in a lot of work behind the scenes. He tried to put things right, but the last game proved too much for the board and they relieved him of his job. It was good timing because O'Driscoll was now available, whereas a few weeks prior after the wolves game at home (when a lot of fans wanted McInnes gone), he was still at Forest.

These responses really show up Lansdown as being more at fault than I thought .McInnes the hardest working manager he had!.It is a real shame he did not consider the results of his labours as opposed to his work rate.It is unimaginable that a successful businessman would ever dream of running a company like this.He undoubtedly loves the club and financially backed us but at what cost.We are back where we started and have wasted the golden chance of building a good championship team, The impact on revenue will calamitous and will surely result in anyone of any value being sold.

This was a highlight of a dismal day for me. The Q&A emphasised to me (as if it needed emphasising already!) what a fantastic man we have in charge of our football club. Top bloke.

Agree with this. I was at the Q &A but a bit concerned that SL said, at one piont, that he'd remain backing the club "while he still enjoyed it".

If we go down, and give up like we did at the start of the season, and in the second half, yesterday, I can't see SL or anyone else getting much enjoyment.....

I guess, in a nutshell, the future of this club is financial viability. We produce and invest in young players to sell on in order to balance the budget. The old fashioned remit of building to secure promotion and win trophies is old hat. It's shit really.

Thanks the Premier League and Sky.

You can build for promotion you just have to be smart about it, why spend money in such a way that you're certain to make none back and have to spend more to fill a hole in a few years?

Teams like Swansea and Blackpool set the example, they have done it recently without massive spending.

The trend we should worry about isn't trying to be financially viable - that's healthy - it's big clubs hoarding young talent and keeping the better players sat in the reserves until they're 22.

You can build for promotion you just have to be smart about it, why spend money in such a way that you're certain to make none back and have to spend more to fill a hole in a few years?

Teams like Swansea and Blackpool set the example, they have done it recently without massive spending.

The trend we should worry about isn't trying to be financially viable - that's healthy - it's big clubs hoarding young talent and keeping the better players sat in the reserves until they're 22.

Exactly !!

Did anyone see the Football League show when Clem visited Walsall? What a refreshing change to see the way they're approaching football.

Agree with this. I was at the Q &A but a bit concerned that SL said, at one piont, that he'd remain backing the club "while he still enjoyed it".

If we go down, and give up like we did at the start of the season, and in the second half, yesterday, I can't see SL or anyone else getting much enjoyment.....

And there's the problem

Nothing against SL (decent bloke etc) - but I don't like any club being under sole control/ownership of one man ................look at Blackburn , great while Jack Walker was alive - but now? Reading could go the same way now Madjeski has sold up.

Archived