IGNORED

Steve Lansdown Q&a

big p

It happened, I suspect those that went are travelling back right now maybe?

Two quotes I saw on twitter were

Steve Lansdown on Cardiff. 'when I go there, I'm bloody keen to beat the bastards'. #lad #BristolCity

Lansdown says there's no way he's walking away from the club. And in it for the long haul no matter what. #bristolcity

I was there and fair lay to SL for staying for what must of been an hour at least. The Cardiff quote was after I asked if he could promise he would never sell to Malaysians or the like. He said he thought what was happening at Cardiff and others was dreadful and the atmosphere in and around the boardroom when he went there back along was flat and miserable compared to the old days. Most City fans there made it clear we wouldn't want to ever sell our soul. I wouldn't say there was any headline breaking revelations but it was very enjoyable and good of him to come along. I did get the impression he still has a major say on decisions.

I was there and fair lay to SL for staying for what must of been an hour at least. The Cardiff quote was after I asked if he could promise he would never sell to Malaysians or the like. He said he thought what was happening at Cardiff and others was dreadful and the atmosphere in and around the boardroom when he went there back along was flat and miserable compared to the old days. Most City fans there made it clear we wouldn't want to ever sell our soul. I wouldn't say there was any headline breaking revelations but it was very enjoyable and good of him to come along. I did get the impression he still has a major say on decisions.

It must have been awful for him,spending time with the peasents when he could have been sipping champers with the rest of the tax dodgers ;)

Any ways Im glad we havent got a billionaire backer that has got us to the brink of premiership football and has changed our name and colour of our shirt..........................or am i :D

i was there. he was very open and honest with the answers he gave. obviously the cardiff comment got a big cheer from the fans

he mentioned about Coppell and the players he wanted in who wanted hefty wages, he didn't shy away, he named Hunt, Stewart and Cisse were on astronomical salaries. He wanted to show Coppell that he would back him financially in light of what he thought he could do for Bristol City.

when questioned about Cisse's new contract he said that the wages he was on in comparison to the games he can play in a season, they simply could not justify the amount, especially with the FFP coming in.

he said the scouting needs to be improved and said that WBA and Southampton were imposing their stance on the Bristol area and appear to be taking the better young players in the region. We've lacked a decent Right Centre Back since Caulker left and we've never been the same since he left, we tried to get him back but he said he wanted to play in the prem. we tried to get craig dawson in January but he went to Bolton. We're still in the loan market and as long as it makes sense financially and worth while on the pitch, he will back the Manager.

He talked about McInnes, Johnson, Tinnion, Millen and I think even Wilson was mentioned.

I asked a question about the 24 and under recruitment policy, advising that it's all well and good having young kids, but you need a Shaun Taylor or Paul Hartley to show the kids what to do, not just on the pitch but off it too, he said that experience is good, but what they dont want is a team full of experience, on high wages, with no sell on value.

Lots of talk on the stadium, albeit the new ground or refurbishing Ashton Gate.

Anyone else wanna add anything in?

Answer to Truebritt66. Well bare in mind, as he pointed out, he doesn't even have a job at City anymore , he just pays the bills, I thought it was a class act. And no trust me, if you heard SL's take on foreign owners, taking Pompey as an example of buying a trophy no you wouldn't want to be owned by Cardiff's owners or the like.

i was there. he was very open and honest with the answers he gave. obviously the cardiff comment got a big cheer from the fans

he mentioned about Coppell and the players he wanted in who wanted hefty wages, he didn't shy away, he named Hunt, Stewart and Cisse were on astronomical salaries. He wanted to show Coppell that he would back him financially in light of what he thought he could do for Bristol City.

when questioned about Cisse's new contract he said that the wages he was on in comparison to the games he can play in a season, they simply could not justify the amount, especially with the FFP coming in.

he said the scouting needs to be improved and said that WBA and Southampton were imposing their stance on the Bristol area and appear to be taking the better young players in the region. We've lacked a decent Right Centre Back since Caulker left and we've never been the same since he left, we tried to get him back but he said he wanted to play in the prem. we tried to get craig dawson in January but he went to Bolton. We're still in the loan market and as long as it makes sense financially and worth while on the pitch, he will back the Manager.

He talked about McInnes, Johnson, Tinnion, Millen and I think even Wilson was mentioned.

I asked a question about the 24 and under recruitment policy, advising that it's all well and good having young kids, but you need a Shaun Taylor or Paul Hartley to show the kids what to do, not just on the pitch but off it too, he said that experience is good, but what they dont want is a team full of experience, on high wages, with no sell on value.

So same old.................................not a dig and massive respect for posting but whats new ?

PS: Not directed at you but christ we allknew that.

So same old.................................not a dig and massive respect for posting but whats new ?

PS: Not directed at you but christ we allknew that.

he can only answer what questions we thrown at him.

i'm just writing what i remember from earlier today, i'm sure someone was probably note taking and has a more detailed report to give on here.

I guess, in a nutshell, the future of this club is financial viability. We produce and invest in young players to sell on in order to balance the budget. The old fashioned remit of building to secure promotion and win trophies is old hat. It's shit really.

Thanks the Premier League and Sky.

Answer to Truebritt66. Well bare in mind, as he pointed out, he doesn't even have a job at City anymore , he just pays the bills, I thought it was a class act. And no trust me, if you heard SL's take on foreign owners, taking Pompey as an example of buying a trophy no you wouldn't want to be owned by Cardiff's owners or the like.

Fair play I wasnt in attendance so cant comment, but we are bottom of the table been struggling for years and have a "multi millionaire" who "pays our bills" (so do we, by the way Mr L) and now we are not in a very nice place......................................just saying like.

I asked the question as to why the decision to bring in SOD was done sooner rather than later. He emphasised that the fact we won against Peterborough meant he backed Del despite a mixture of results but mainly losses at home before and after this point. I still think he should have been brought in sooner and we may well have had a better chance.

I am interested to see he talked about Tinnion ,Millen McInnes - what an indictment of his ability to select the right man for the job..How can one man get it so wrong for so long.He must fee, or should feell a large degree of responsibility for out relegation

I guess, in a nutshell, the future of this club is financial viability. We produce and invest in young players to sell on in order to balance the budget. The old fashioned remit of building to secure promotion and win trophies is old hat. It's shit really.

well put, against modern football!

One alarming stat he did point out was, Ashton Gate currently produces enough turnover to support a decent league 2 side. Another interesting fact, when Coppell arrived he told SL all our keepers were crap, hence the signing of James.

So that problem was simply compounded then.

Yeah we won shit loads of trophies before sky!!

I am interested to see he talked about Tinnion ,Millen McInnes - what an indictment of his ability to select the right man for the job..How can one man get it so wrong for so long.He must fee, or should feell a large degree of responsibility for out relegation

Tinnion = he said he wanted to give him a chance of management because he expressed an interest after Wilson left and he was well respected within the club. He mentioned his "judge me on Tinnion" comment. He has spoken to Brian many times since and Tinnion said he went into management too soon and looking back, he wished he did all his qualifications and apprenticeship somewhere else at a lower level before taking on a role for a club like City. He praised the role he played with regards to giving kids the chance to play, ie Skuse, Harley, Lita.

Millen - like Tinnion, after a good start taking over after Johnson, he expressed an interest in taking on the role on a full time basis and the Board decided he should be given the opportunity. Not too much after that from memory

McCinnes - said he was the hardest working boss he has had so far since he took over in 1996 who put in a lot of work behind the scenes. He tried to put things right, but the last game proved too much for the board and they relieved him of his job. It was good timing because O'Driscoll was now available, whereas a few weeks prior after the wolves game at home (when a lot of fans wanted McInnes gone), he was still at Forest.

How many football club managers, Man Utd / Arsenal aside, have sucessful longevity?

Normally I would summarise the session and put some pictures up. The challenge these days is that I would have had to do it during the first half of the game to beat some of you lot to it.

Suffice to say for now that once again Steve was open and honest and prepared to come and do these sessions. We try to keep the press out to allow him to be more candid. I had a quick count up and there was around 180-200 there. It felt like those that attended appreciated it. The session was conducted with good humour and I would be surprised if there were many instances of this happening at other football clubs. Good to see Maggie Lansdown there as well.

Stu

Yeah we won shit loads of trophies before sky!!

You're missing the point there mate. Before Sky we had a chance, we all did. Now we don't. Russian oligarchs and Saudi oil companies have played their part too, but what chance do we have now? Watch the itv4 'Big Match' replays and marvel at the names in and around the top of Division 1, different world and far more interesting for the fans

Give it another 10 / 15 years and I don't think I'll watch any Premiership / European football, same teams playing for the same trophies. It gets duller by the year. Give me Bury on a wet Tuesday night any day of the week

You're missing the point there mate. Before Sky we had a chance, we all did. Now we don't. Russian oligarchs and Saudi oil companies have played their part too, but what chance do we have now? Watch the itv4 'Big Match' replays and marvel at the names in and around the top of Division 1, different world and far more interesting for the fans

Give it another 10 / 15 years and I don't think I'll watch any Premier League / European football, same teams playing for the same trophies. It gets duller by the year. Give me Bury on a wet Tuesday night any day of the week

spot on,football on every night of the week in some form,boring and mind numbing,oh for the days of the big match. ipswich, villa .playing fantastic football and playing in europe.

no chance anymore, someone mentioned on another thread the cup winners cup,great compitcion anybody could qualfy for it.

anyway f... the top level shit,cum on u reeedddsss.

The bit in bold underline above is happening big time and if the club don't do something about it the Academy will end up a complete waste of time, effort and money. Southampton are at Bath already which they are trying to make a Level 1 Academy set-up and have a Development Centre at Weston Super Mare now. Cardiff City have beating City to players in North Somerset for years but now Southampton is the big danger as they have a "Head of Recruitment" based specifically in North Somerset to tap into the talent there and in surrounding areas such as Bristol, South Gloucestershire and BANES. They are a massive threat to our Academy's future in my opinion.

And West Brom are also making noises and many connections in the area. The way things are going City and Rovers will simply become also rans for the production of local young talent in this area.

Archived