IGNORED

Whatever Happended To Phil Tottle?

Super

For me he was a legend back in the day when i first started supporting City. Also the Rovers guy Colin Howlett (i think his name was) was also very good. Certainly a lot better than what Radio bristol have these days.

Last time I heard him, he was reporting on the cricket on Radio Bristol.

Tottle was great. I have a recording of his commentary when tinman scored at anfield. Let's just say fair and non biased commentary flew out the window that day :)

Dear God he was dreadful. He used to get so engrossed in the action he'd forget to describe it. Games would descend into complete silence for long periods then resurface with a different scoreline. He's probably much better suited to reporting cricket.

The current commentators are much, much better than Tottle was.

Edit: I'm very sorry to hear of his passing, though.

Last time I heard him, he was reporting on the cricket on Radio Bristol.

Tottle was great. I have a recording of his commentary when tinman scored at anfield. Let's just say fair and non biased commentary flew out the window that day :)

could you upload it? I remember listening to the match on the radio

For me he was a legend back in the day when i first started supporting City. Also the Rovers guy Colin Howlett (i think his name was) was also very good. Certainly a lot better than what Radio bristol have these days.

Colin was a nice bloke , I used to play football with his son and he'd pop along and watch from time to time. I always thought his son was alright until I read this. !

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Football-fan-banned-hurling-abuse-Muslims/story-11260481-detail/story.html#axzz2Nubt1cug

He must arrange the Bristol Grammar School OB reunion dinners by ouija board then!

No, AFAIK he's still going strong and freelancing, working very occasionally for BBC Somerset and RB as well as the WDP.

That is good news! Welcome back Phil!!

Colin was a nice bloke , I used to play football with his son and he'd pop along and watch from time to time. I always thought his son was alright until I read this. !

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Football-fan-banned-hurling-abuse-Muslims/story-11260481-detail/story.html#axzz2Nubt1cug

Appalling!! A low-life behaves like that and gets rewarded by our so-called judicial system. Just what sort of punishment is being banned from watching the Gas for three years? No wonder the country's in a mess.

Used to see him down the County Ground . Didn't see him last year, but last time I saw him (how can I put this) he was not a well man.

Also known as Colin "Large away following from Bristol" Howlett, as he had a tendency to over exaggerate the Sags' away crowds!

Really ?!

He was as bad as Malone.

Unable to pronounce "off", it came out as "awf".

"Ian Alexander sent awf for Rovers again......"

He'll be back at the Gas just as the season finishes then. His Dad let him go off the rails there then.

Also known as Colin "Large away following from Bristol" Howlett, as he had a tendency to over exaggerate the Sags' away crowds!

Ah, but back then all the R*vers goals were screamers that left the keeper "with no chance to save the the ball whaught-so-ever"

Bless him... Totts will always be my BBCRB commentator!

Ah, but back then all the R*vers goals were screamers that left the keeper "with no chance to save the the ball whaught-so-ever"

Bless him... Totts will always be my BBCRB commentator!

He would of been spot on with that Gary Smart goal against us.

Always remember City's pre-season tour of Scotland 1991 Tottle was a legend on that trip. Rangers trained everyday where we were staying and every day Tottle armed with his tape recorder would stand by the side of the training pitches trying to get an interview some of thier big name players Butcher, Hateley ,Walters, Steven, Stephens McCoist Woods they all just ignored him to the great amusment of all on the trip :laugh:

Never play him at table tennis tho he was awesome for a rotund little chap he could certainly move around a table.

Westonred, I went on that trip as well & am now married to the coach driver & have been for 20 years.

I remember we all had nicknames & Phil Tottle's was Ronnie Corbett, someone else was Pavorotti, there was the Thompson Twins & Sam Torrance to name but a few. You have brought back some happy memories.

Archived