IGNORED

Breaking A Phone Contract?

Henry

Is it possible without paying up the contract?

I have the iphone 5 on T mobile, but the signal is awful. Whether I go its terrible, I miss calls, calls cut out, texts don't always go through, some take days to go through and people can barely hear me. I have phoned them up countless times, followed all their advice and tests and even got a new handset.

I still have over 18 months to go and don't want to put up with this for all that time.

Is it possible without paying up the contract?

I have the iphone 5 on T mobile, but the signal is awful. Whether I go its terrible, I miss calls, calls cut out, texts don't always go through, some take days to go through and people can barely hear me. I have phoned them up countless times, followed all their advice and tests and even got a new handset.

I still have over 18 months to go and don't want to put up with this for all that time.

Yo Henry.

In all likely hood, probably not. You've agreed to a contract and they will do everything they can to enforce it. I had a SIM only Orange contract for 24 months that I forgot about (they sent me the SIM and it stayed in the drawer unused). They sent me a letter 6 months later, saying they have cancelled the service and that I need to pay up the 6 months. I tried to argue the fact that I have never used the service, but in all fairness I had signed a contract. I paid up the 6 months and that was that. I'm not sure if it's gone on my credit record or not, but I'd imagine it has, although it's not stopped me getting credit so far.

You've got a few options:

1. Call customer services and explain the situation, you might have a case as you can't get signal. They might be able to terminate the contract
  2. Failing that; you could ask them to downgrade your package to the very minimum and it will at least reduce the monthly cost.
  3. (Bad advice) Cancel the direct debit and let them chase you for the money, may spoil your credit rating but they'll probably terminate your service early to avoid losing any money.
  4. Write to head office and take the first point further, explaining you're not getting the service you were expecting. If you write to them, chances are it will be dealt with someone who can pull the strings a bit more.

Good luck!

You have to be extremely persistent and do everything in writing. You need an audit trail of written complaints, and to escalate those. Then turn the tariff down as low as possible and finally send them a formal communication that says you consider the contract void since the service isn't provided, offer to return the phone if they provide you with a SAE, cancel the direct debit and be prepared to argue the case. Eventually it will end up with a manager who will decide it isn't worth pursuing. Demand a PAC code to transfer your number (they're obliged to provide this).

Also there's a executive office email address findable by google that people have had good results contacting.

Generally stay away from Orange/T-Mobile/EE, they're awful in terms of useable signal and customer service.

You have to be extremely persistent and do everything in writing. You need an audit trail of written complaints, and to escalate those. Then turn the tariff down as low as possible and finally send them a formal communication that says you consider the contract void since the service isn't provided, offer to return the phone if they provide you with a SAE, cancel the direct debit and be prepared to argue the case. Eventually it will end up with a manager who will decide it isn't worth pursuing. Demand a PAC code to transfer your number (they're obliged to provide this).

Also there's a executive office email address findable by google that people have had good results contacting.

Generally stay away from Orange/T-Mobile/EE, they're awful in terms of useable signal and customer service.

Thanks for that Nibor.

I paid £270 for the phone, is that likely to be gone?

Thanks for that Nibor.

I paid £270 for the phone, is that likely to be gone?

Not sure - it is probably subsidised to some degree but if I'd paid that much for it I'd not offer to return it. Worth emphasising to them that you're quite happy to remain a customer if they can provide the service but they can't so you have no choice. Also, you will most likely need a phone unlock code as well as a PAC if you want to use the phone with another network. They charge for that (£20 I think).

I had a very interesting experience with my local phone shop.

I went to try and upgrade my old Blackberry which was so slow it was barely usable. Problem was that I had 15/12 of a 2 year contract left. The shop guy told me to ask my supplier how much it would cost to pay up the contract and I was told £150. He then said his company would cover that if I got a new contract phone from then and that I'd have to hand in the old phone. He told me to bring in the bill with the £150 on and they'd deal with it.

I was given a temporary number for 48 hours before I got my old number back.

The bottom line is that I never received the £150 bill so didn't have to hand in the old mobile. I told the guy in the shop all this and he phoned EE and they said my previous account was closed - end of.

So I now have a new Blackberry which works fine and its on a cheaper monthly contract than before. Result!

I had a very interesting experience with my local phone shop.

I went to try and upgrade my old Blackberry which was so slow it was barely usable. Problem was that I had 15/12 of a 2 year contract left. The shop guy told me to ask my supplier how much it would cost to pay up the contract and I was told £150. He then said his company would cover that if I got a new contract phone from then and that I'd have to hand in the old phone. He told me to bring in the bill with the £150 on and they'd deal with it.

I was given a temporary number for 48 hours before I got my old number back.

The bottom line is that I never received the £150 bill so didn't have to hand in the old mobile. I told the guy in the shop all this and he phoned EE and they said my previous account was closed - end of.

So I now have a new Blackberry which works fine and its on a cheaper monthly contract than before. Result!

Intresting.

What shop did you go to?

Archived