IGNORED

Thornbury, Bristol

Has been voted best place in the south west to live, and 4th in England :) How many City fans from or been to Thornbury on here? or am I the only one?

And recommend anyone who enjoys Pubs, Charity Shops or Chip shops to come along to the Best place in the South West :)

Spent my school years there at castle school.

How it got that recommendation I dont know. 30 yesrs ago maybe, when there was a community, market, decent high street. Now it has a **** town centre ( at least ridefords is still there), neighbourhoods is crappy, no one knows one another that well. It is a shite commuter town now. My parents still live there. You couldn't pay me enough money to move back there.

Completely ruined.

Al it is is pound shops, estate agents and bloody charity shops. Piss poor excuse for a town. Even the tesco and aldi are shite, too small, don't offer enough products, but just big enough to shut down local shops.

Take the bulldozers to half of it should do the trick

I know what you mean, The High Street is dead, The only reason it was so high placed was because of The Castle School, apart from that it's dead during the day, A few good pubs though, The Anchor, The White Horse and The Swan seem a popular choice, The white horse is for the younger generation mainly, It all seems a bit rundown apart from a new housing estate and refurbished school next to each other,

And to the post about not knowing each other, Spot on, I was on the bus back from cribbs and people were getting off in Thornbury and I had never seen them before! It's only a small town, where do they all hide?

It was voted by the Sunday Times I'm not sure how to post a link from my phone

I once won a Bank Holiday pub quiz in the Anchor despite having drunk 20 pints over the preceeding 24 hours. The prize was more beer. :drunk2:

My observations of Thornbury are that it is full of Gasheads. One neanderthal even threatened me in the town centre because I was laughing that they'd lost again.

Sorry but disagree.

It may be different now but I used to travel with a lots of good lads from Thornbury area in the late 80's early 90's and they were "city lads" and they didnt tolerate the gas.

From about the early to mid 90's it changed. But the shopping centre and the commuters killed it.

There's a City fan who lives opposite me, I think it's even between City and Sags in Thornbury, I always see a couple of City shirts up the high street after a game on sky, The Best was when Rovers played Leeds at home, Thornbury is a stop of for the Leeds fans on the way to Bristol, so in the Swan was Leeds, Lion was the sags and City in the George, It's never been so noisy in Thornbury!

There's a City fan who lives opposite me, I think it's even between City and Sags in Thornbury, I always see a couple of City shirts up the high street after a game on sky, The Best was when Rovers played Leeds at home, Thornbury is a stop of for the Leeds fans on the way to Bristol, so in the Swan was Leeds, Lion was the sags and City in the George, It's never been so noisy in Thornbury!

i know a teacher at thornbury castle school and she told me its half and half ,same goes for the ridings school in winterbourne (almost yate) .sometimes i don't think people from south of the river realise how much support they've got from south gloucestershire.... always remember dursley being massively city and i know loads of yate lads that are still going and have been since the seventies .

i know a teacher at thornbury castle school and she told me its half and half ,same goes for the ridings school in winterbourne (almost yate) .sometimes i don't think people from south of the river realise how much support they've got from south gloucestershire.... always remember dursley being massively city and i know loads of yate lads that are still going and have been since the seventies .

When I was at school there it was predominantly Liverpool Man U , Bristol City, Bristol Rovers. In that order.

Haven't lived there for 28 years though

Who's the teacher may I ask?

I was born there. It was Gloucestershire none of this South Glos rubbish then !

Well it was Avon after that, followed by south Glos. It has been many different things, until it has reached the final stagnant mess that it finds itself in now!

Its definitely changed over the last 20 years - but is still a good safe place to bring up kids and is close enough to Bristol to be handy. Worst thing that happened was Tesco, has killed the local shops and ruined the high street.

Can't deny that. Great place a great schools to bring up kids.

Just a bland dead commuter town now though. It used to be a really friendly place, now full of people from all around the country who are building fences as high as possible so they don't have to speak to their neighbours.

Thornbury as I knew it is dead.

Can't deny that. Great place a great schools to bring up kids.

Just a bland dead commuter town now though. It used to be a really friendly place, now full of people from all around the country who are building fences as high as possible so they don't have to speak to their neighbours.

Thornbury as I knew it is dead.

US THORNBARIANS HAVE SOLD OUR SOUL :( :(

But what your saying is entirely true, No one goes to the high street unless they want chips or a cake :)

Spent my school years there at castle school.

How it got that recommendation I dont know. 30 yesrs ago maybe, when there was a community, market, decent high street. Now it has a **** town centre ( at least ridefords is still there), neighbourhoods is crappy, no one knows one another that well. It is a shite commuter town now. My parents still live there. You couldn't pay me enough money to move back there.

Completely ruined.

Al it is is pound shops, estate agents and bloody charity shops. Piss poor excuse for a town. Even the tesco and aldi are shite, too small, don't offer enough products, but just big enough to shut down local shops.

Take the bulldozers to half of it should do the trick

Blimey sounds like it should be twinned with Keynsham.

Also ex-Castle School and lived in Thornbury for 25 years. I'd say it's not just the Tesco that wrecked the High Street but The Mall at Cribbs too.

500 new homes are being built down by Castle School and the expectation is that with increased footfall on the High Street new businesses will come in. Will have to wait and see if that comes off.

I'd still rate it highly as a place to live and bring up kids. I was brought up there and turned out alright!!!

Also ex-Castle School and lived in Thornbury for 25 years. I'd say it's not just the Tesco that wrecked the High Street but The Mall at Cribbs too.

500 new homes are being built down by Castle School and the expectation is that with increased footfall on the High Street new businesses will come in. Will have to wait and see if that comes off.

I'd still rate it highly as a place to live and bring up kids. I was brought up there and turned out alright!!!

Well you don't support Ro**** so you obviously were bought up well ;)

And there are a lot of plans for new homes in Thornbury, And because of this accolade I can't see them being cheap either! I wouldn't say there's a drug problem, Just stay away from the rundown pubs and back alleys at night and your fine, But even then you'll be unlucky/lucky depending on who you are if you find someone dealing drugs, also The Munday Playing fields is a Chav hangout past 22:00, The mall has effected the high street as there are buses to the mall every 30 mins from Thornbury

Kid in the Riot, Whereabouts in Thornbury did you live?

High Street is dead, trading estate is full of small companies who try fooling customers about and think they are better than everyone else, (from experience), the Tesco is rubbish with petrol prices rocketed.

the only good thing is the residents are nice people. Otherwise its the most useless place I have been in my life.

decent place to raise kids, not a bad place to be retired, quite a bit going on in the community, but for anyone between 20 and 40 its a bit too quiet and commuterville like to bother living in. i dont think the new houses, being built on flood plain behind the school, will help the high street since people will just drive to the mall at cribbs. the pubs are ok, but generally chavvy. anchor is probably the best of the bunch, but nothing to write home about.

I lived in Thornbury for 20 or so years, moved to Bristol and now have recently bought a house in Thornbury with my wife and little'un. If it wasn't for the newest arrival to the BRR family it's unlikely I would have moved back. However, it's not a bad place for families and the schools are excellent but I wouldn't really recommend it for anyone aged 18-30 unless you have a family.

Dursley & Cam have always had a big City contingent, there's G*s too, but not in the same numbers - thankfully

How can Thornbury be up there and no sign of Dursley or even Stroud? 2 delightful places to live ;)

What's wrong with Dursley? Some lovely places in and around, but also got it's rough areas, same as everywhere else

As for Thornbury, the last time I went there I can remember who grotty it had got, used to enjoy going there for a few beers now and then 20 years ago, wouldn't fancy it now

Dursley & Cam have always had a big City contingent, there's G*s too, but not in the same numbers - thankfully

What's wrong with Dursley? Some lovely places in and around, but also got it's rough areas, same as everywhere else

As for Thornbury, the last time I went there I can remember who grotty it had got, used to enjoy going there for a few beers now and then 20 years ago, wouldn't fancy it now

Is someone scared of The Thornbury Massive?

No, Seriously its not that bad, The Anchor is the best for a pint and chit chat, The Knot if you have just turned 18, Not sure about the others though

Is someone scared of The Thornbury Massive?

No, Seriously its not that bad, The Anchor is the best for a pint and chit chat, The Knot if you have just turned 18, Not sure about the others though

Ha, anything followed by the word 'massive' is not scary, young 'un. Back in my day, when gangs were real gangs.........you still listening fella!?

Archived