IGNORED

1964-65 Promotion Season ... Where Are They Now?

swampy

Back in 64-65, City were promoted following a 2-0 win over Oldham 'Up the City to the Second Division' said the Green 'Un headline. Oldham that season finished 20th I believe and put 7 goals past us at Boundary Park that season. Forgive me if I am wrong but I think our team that season was Gibson Ford Briggs Parr Connor Low Savino Clark Atyeo Derrick Peters ... Where are they now? We all know about 'Big John'.

Back in 64-65, City were promoted following a 2-0 win over Oldham 'Up the City to the Second Division' said the Green 'Un headline. Oldham that season finished 20th I believe and put 7 goals past us at Boundary Park that season. Forgive me if I am wrong but I think our team that season was Gibson Ford Briggs Parr Connor Low Savino Clark Atyeo Derrick Peters ... Where are they now? We all know about 'Big John'.

Gibbo alive and well keeps himself ridiculously for for a man of his age! enjoys a pint in the Coopers.

Jantzen Derrick dont know him but saw him on the weekend.

Those 2 along with Gordon Parr the only ones of those 11 I remember see play (think probably saw Jack Connor as well but dont recall) heard lots about the others though all City legends.

Probably the best moment in all my years supporting City, although Clive Whirtehead's gaoal against Portsmouth ran it close.

The astonishing thing about that season is that we were apparently out of the running with just three games to go!

The astonishing thing about that season is that we were apparently out of the running with just three games to go!

Correct! Then on the way to Shrewsbury for an evening game on Easter Monday, the results of the afternoon games came in. Everyone else had slipped up and the players realised they could still win promotion.

At Shreswbury it was 1-1 athalf time thanks mainly to Gibbo pulling off a series of saves. In the 2nd half Atyeo scored four times in 33 mins. The return game was the following night and City were 3-0 up after 37 minutes. As posted, City had lost 7-3 at Oldham in October and now City needed to win to go up. City were winning 1-0 but back then teams on equal points were separated by goal average, not goal difference. F99 A49 (2 and a fraction) was slightly better than F100 A50 (2 exactly). 10 mins from time Atyeo pulled down a cross from Bush, turned and smashed it into the Oldham net for a 2-0 win. City's goal average was 0.11 better than 3rd placed Mansfield who had scored more than City.

Then again, if we had 3 pts for a win in 75-76, City would have been 4th, not 2nd. I wonder if Bolton have forgiven us yet?

Correct! Then on the way to Shrewsbury for an evening game on Easter Monday, the results of the afternoon games came in. Everyone else had slipped up and the players realised they could still win promotion.

At Shreswbury it was 1-1 athalf time thanks mainly to Gibbo pulling off a series of saves. In the 2nd half Atyeo scored four times in 33 mins. The return game was the following night and City were 3-0 up after 37 minutes. As posted, City had lost 7-3 at Oldham in October and now City needed to win to go up. City were winning 1-0 but back then teams on equal points were separated by goal average, not goal difference. F99 A49 (2 and a fraction) was slightly better than F100 A50 (2 exactly). 10 mins from time Atyeo pulled down a cross from Bush, turned and smashed it into the Oldham net for a 2-0 win. City's goal average was 0.11 better than 3rd placed Mansfield who had scored more than City.

Then again, if we had 3 pts for a win in 75-76, City would have been 4th, not 2nd. I wonder if Bolton have forgiven us yet?

I was a mere youngster then but went to this match by coach. It was before motorways so it seemed to take forever to get there. It took even longer to get home as coaches in those days drove all around Bristol dropping people off. (Those who complain about CATS coach no. 1 haven’t lived).

Atyeo scoring 4 goals was unbelievable and I can still remember them. Unfortunately nothing since has been quite as good. Perhaps a scenario whereby City need to win at Charlton on the last day of the season to stay up and Davies scores 5 to help City to a 5 – 4 win will be as good.

Archived